PDA

View Full Version : RAF Types only - Which way to jump?

The B Word
4th Feb 2010, 19:23
Ok, so we've heard the rumours of "3 into 2". If you had to, which way would you jump? Royal Navy or British Army?

I'll throw my hat in first...ROYAL NAVY...

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/custom/navy/img/royalnavy/royal_navy_logo.gif

Siggie
4th Feb 2010, 19:28
Sorry, but I'd go the third option:(

Stitchbitch
4th Feb 2010, 19:40
Well, the Army are okay as are the RN or wafus. If the Army employed NCOs past age 40 then that would be a good option, so long as you could put up with the REM(E)Fy banter and shocking PT standards;) The RN FAA would probably just tip the balance.
But sod that, I'd rather join the Womens Auxillary Balloon Corps than join those two. I joined the RAF, based on what the RAF had achieved, that and it's was 'the family buisness', so I grew up with it.:ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Feb 2010, 19:40
With only a couple of years to go it does not affect me but I would also select option 3 and then have a chat with a damn good legal chap :ok:

airpolice
4th Feb 2010, 19:47
Did I miss a page?

Two into three, but where is it written that the RAF will be lost? Perhaps the key to the future Defence of the Realm is to have the RAF absorb the Army and let the Royal Navy provide floating runways for the RAF.

Let's have no more of this Bolshie talk about the RAF being done away with!

Air and Sea Power are the future. If there were fewer boots on the ground we'd have fewer casualties. We could have the Pongos secure airfields and where that's not practical, the air strikes need to be launched from ships.

On further consideration, maybe we don't even need the RAF. Lets just use Trident to wipe out our next "enemy" and finally get some value for money from the Submarines.

Time for my medication,
Evenin' all.

NutLoose
4th Feb 2010, 20:00
Surely the two will be the MOD and the Rest :mad::mad:

As there will no doubt be a major debate on the combined forces name, why not future proof it and call it Star Command to align it with our Parliaments political aspirations and as the mottos such as Per Ardu Astra will be a seen by the Army and Royal Navy as being contentious..... perhaps "To Infinity and Beyond" would be better as being catchy and totally unreachable, which would please the Politicians.:mad::mad:

http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-5858375reg.jpg&size=20&dhm=a3c0f71c&hl=en

VinRouge
4th Feb 2010, 20:00
Navy I reckon. far more flexible and they actually have brains. As opposed to inheritance.

British Army "Be Well Bred".

Spam_UK
4th Feb 2010, 20:09
Who said it's gonna be Navy and Army, I heard (started) the rumour it will be RAF and Army, and we'll absorb the Navy!

Fat Chris
4th Feb 2010, 20:16
If (when) the junior service gets binned, I will laugh my c@ck off. Of course, you'll have to pull the majority of their heads from their arses before they'll be allowed in either the RN or the Army.

And before the self-righteous begin, I'm RAF but with a dislike for the way that some think they're the smartest and bestest kids on the block.

The B Word
4th Feb 2010, 20:27
Who said it's gonna be Navy and Army, I heard (started) the rumour it will be RAF and Army, and we'll absorb the Navy!

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/images/asrmcs%20badge.gif

Well, there was an RAF Marine Branch...bring back RAF Mount Batten!

We've even got the Ensign sorted:

http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/images/g/gb~rafmv.gif

Lima Juliet
4th Feb 2010, 20:48
Royal Flying Corps (RFC) for me!

"Ah! Tally ho, then! Back to the bar. You should join the Flying Corps, George. That's the way to fight a war. Tasty tuck, soft beds and a uniform so smart it's got a PhD from Cambridge."

http://www.bannedallstars.com/forums/customavatars/avatar201_1.gif

Herc-u-lease
4th Feb 2010, 22:16
i'd probably say RN - but i might change my mind after the initial entertainment value of the following has worn off: saying: boats instead of ships, kitchen when i mean galley, floor when it's called deck, mess when I know it's the ward room.

any more?

having said that, i ****** hate boats, option 3 for me

Melchett01
4th Feb 2010, 22:46
And before the self-righteous begin, I'm RAF but with a dislike for the way that some think they're the smartest and bestest kids on the block.

That's because we are. You need to be able to do more than tie a knot in a bit of wet rope or play polo to get into this fighting organisation don't you know.

Now get back to zee cooler - 30 days.

L J R
5th Feb 2010, 03:20
Raaf

D-IFF_ident
5th Feb 2010, 04:54
I'll take option 3 please.

Yeller_Gait
5th Feb 2010, 09:10
like D_IFF and others, option 3 is the way ahead

Go RAAF

Y_G

PTT
5th Feb 2010, 09:38
Go the whole hog and make it all one service. We can call it the Royal Armed Forces :ok:

airborne_artist
5th Feb 2010, 09:38
Join the RAC - no need to get a new uniform - think of the savings...:}

Blacksheep
5th Feb 2010, 09:45
If defence costs are to be cut to the minimum then the MoD must cease overseas operations carried out for international political advantage and return to its primary role - the defence of the nation. The primary requirements of securing our airspace, our coastline and our lines of supply dictate that we require primarily, a Navy and an Air Defence Force. Indeed, those are the two armed forces that kept the British homeland secure in 1940.

As an island nation, an army is only required in the event that the primary roles fail and invaders set foot upon our shores. In which case Winston Churchill's postulate comes into force.

"We shall fight them on the beaches etc., ....... we shall never give in."

The army are primarily a force of last resort and in the last resort everybody is a soldier in Dad's Army. Which is why Britain has never in its entire history officially had a "Standing Army". Its worth remembering that our rifle clubs and Bisley Camp itself are a remnant of the old County Volunteers that morphed into the Territorial Army.

So in answer to the question, even though I ceased to serve in Britain's finest a long time ago, if I'd been obliged to make a choice of Navy, Army or Civvy Street, I didn't join the Royal Air Force by accident and my choice would have been option 3.

If we were ever under threat of invasion, I can still shoot a 'Possible' at 600 yards and I'd march (or at east totter along) with Dad's Army.

Capt Pit Bull
5th Feb 2010, 10:00
"We shall fight them on the beaches etc., ....... we shall never give in."

"...... we shall fight them till the last bullet..... and we shall save that for ourselves! ...... Sgt Wilson, how much ammunition do we have at the moment?"

"1 round each sir"

Geehovah
5th Feb 2010, 10:02
Ask the Canadians how well this works. The Canadian experiment took years to execute and yet more years to unpick.

But I guess we could reinvent the wheel again:confused:

So starting from basics:

Defend the Homebase = Air Defence
Defend the sea lanes = Maritime and Air Support
That's the Army up for grabs then. Mind you, we already have the RAF Regiment who could absorb that defensive role.

Duncan Bucket
5th Feb 2010, 10:16
Surely rather than choosing which way to jump, it will be by invitation only....a case of "don't call us, we'll call you"?

Fly Navy 101 and still going strong.....I'll get my coat

Gainesy
5th Feb 2010, 12:52
Why should the RAF jump anywhere? We don't go round blubbing to Matron about lost IPods and other such crap.

navibrator
5th Feb 2010, 13:17
I would rather leave than be part of the Army or the Navy.

Wrathmonk
5th Feb 2010, 14:57
I wonder how the RN and British Army are going to manage the job losses / redundancy programmes within thier own Services to make spaces for the light blue transferees .... ;)

Union Jack
5th Feb 2010, 15:21
However high the Admirals say!:ok:

Jack

Airborne Aircrew
5th Feb 2010, 16:34
Perhaps others should be considering the "jump".

A reliable "little bird" recently informed me that the RAF Regiment is forming a new Force Protection Wing, (8 Wing at Waddington), and re-forming No. 58 Squadron RAF Regiment...

Eat your hearts out kids... :ok:

:D

minigundiplomat
5th Feb 2010, 16:34
Enjoy working with the AAC, not sure I want to join though. Will not join the RN for the simple reason that I like being straight, and I don't cry when my Ipod is borrowed.

a case of "don't call us, we'll call you"?

Sides splitting. The only people exercising such a policy presently are the RAF, as the huge queue of dark blue beats a path to our door. If the Navy don't want to work for the Navy, I can't see many others rushing to the SW.

Duncan Bucket
5th Feb 2010, 17:08
MGD - top drawer banter:D Only straight people in the RAF? How very Equal and diverse.:ok:

Can I borrow your ipod?

asdaasbo
5th Feb 2010, 17:13
Cowardly crabs! Who says either the Army or Navy would want you....

Airborne Aircrew
5th Feb 2010, 17:20
Cowardly crabs! Who says either the Army or Navy would want you....Nice one... Right little knee-slapper... Remind me again when the RAF last mis-navigated themselves into surrendering to a bunch of amateurs in a Bass Boat? :E

Hueymeister
5th Feb 2010, 17:58
I think his Airship has done a sterling job of bringing it into the open fora, then we the proletariat will then argue the pros, cons and such rubbish..then their lordships can go into bat...honestly, a UKDF may be the way ahead, but the success or lack thereof of other nations who've done this may well prove that it's an exercise we can neither afford nor organise....:}

timex
5th Feb 2010, 18:21
I wonder how many will lose pensions when they choose Option 3, after all the MOD will have offered you another job, so take it or leave it? Sorry but the chances of any sympathy off this or any other Govt is highly unlikely no matter which (if any) Service folds!

asdaasbo
5th Feb 2010, 18:37
Joking aside, i can not see a viable argument for disbanding any of the forces. They all have their own merits and are necessary for the future defence of the nation whether in a far flung country or at home. I can't believe it is such a contentious issue for the government. As we are at war at the moment you think they would be doing all they can to fund the effort and improve our strength and capabilities. The shortcomings have been highlighted for far to long, whether it be kit for the troops or air support or funding for future technology and investment in defence is what shouls be talked about, not cutting costs.

Gnd
5th Feb 2010, 18:52
The RAF couldn't go to the Army - they Army actually work when asked to.
The RAF couldn't go to the Navy - they are willing to spend the time required away from home.

I'd send them to the dole and re-org, virgin and BA can do the useful part of the Farce.

bast0n
5th Feb 2010, 19:16
Minitodger dippo

Will not join the RN for the simple reason that I like being straight,
Remember this....................?

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Pink_Crab.jpg

Straight - looks a bit kinky to me:ok:

RumPunch
5th Feb 2010, 19:31
Well the new Prime Minister to be Mr Cameron has his seat in Brize Norton area I think and is a regular visitor there ? I may be wrong . Do you reckon the PM for the next 12 years will allow the RAFs largest base be handed over to a service that will have finished in Afghan by then and have no major use again till the next land war in another 2 decades.

Back to question though , Ill pick Navy any day

minigundiplomat
5th Feb 2010, 19:45
Ill pick Navy any day

Hello sailor.......

bast0n,

you make me chuckle (but not enough to join the RN). Have a good weekend.

MGD

WarmandDry
5th Feb 2010, 19:46
Just found a suitable donor for my No1s, No6, Mess Dress etc. Family was all RN, I was the light blue sheep. Enjoyed working with the FAA and AAC but the Cavalry! Look on the bright side the UK is broke and given the privelige to fly military ac would be more important than the colour of my uniform.

Chicken Leg
5th Feb 2010, 20:47
Expecting the RAF to join one of the two other services would have a catastrophic effect on manning. I mean, would you want a nancy boy crab working next to you? Option 3 for the pongo's and fisheads too, I fear!

LFFC
6th Feb 2010, 11:40
I don't know what everyone's getting so worked up about. The MOD isn't about to buy new uniforms for several thousand people - after all, the Army have enough different uniforms as it is!

It's much more likely that we'll see a gradual coming together with the RAF and RN becoming more like regiments within the Army. Lets see, we could start by having a joint Armed Forces Act - er, got that already, sorry. Then we could move onto having a joint administration system - er, sorry, got that already too.

OK, so we could also combine training wherever possible - er, sorry, I forgot, we're already doing that with the Defence Training Review.

Finally, we could have a single HQ that combined Land, Air and Fleet - now you're talking - that would cut several hundred, perhaps even a few thousand, very senior posts across all three Services. Looks like that's the next step to me. :rolleyes:

PingDit
6th Feb 2010, 12:25
I hate to say it, but the RAF - if we have to lose one of the three, would be the obvious choice. Give everything maritime associated (MRA4 etc.) to the navy. Give all the fighters and air transport to the Army - after all, they're the ones that actually use it and need it. They'd be left with the job of protecting the UK's air defence - not too sure how they'd cope with that?

Melchett01
6th Feb 2010, 12:33
Give all the fighters and air transport to the Army - after all, they're the ones that actually use it and need it. They'd be left with the job of protecting the UK's air defence - not too sure how they'd cope with that?

Exactly, that is why you need a separate independent Air Force.

As far as the Army is concerned, air power is all about UAVs to give an FMV feed and AH, with a small nod to SH when they need re-supplying or extracting from some god-forsaken hole.

From my experience, the Army are one of the most parochial and narrow minded organisations I have ever seen. Not only do they have no grasp of anything outside of their immediate AO, they rarely seem to have much more of a clue outside of their own Regiment or Corps.

If you want the air defence of the UK and any long range offensive or AT capability to be reduced to UAVs and AH/SH - essentially a purely tactical force capable of no more than defending and holding an AO half the size of Wales, then crack on, give it all to the Army.

If you want to retain a credible air and space (admittedly still embryonic in the UK) capability that can service a wide range of theatre and tactical needs, then retaining a credible independent air arm is a no-brainer.

vecvechookattack
6th Feb 2010, 12:35

WRONG - That is exactly why you Don't need an independent Air Force

Two's in
6th Feb 2010, 12:47

...and here it is.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2330/2324934747_f5069d17c6.jpg

Fat Chris
6th Feb 2010, 12:56
Aside from a few posts, there's a lot of willy waving and uninformed one-upmanship on here, particularly as nothing was really said by CDS.

I thought we were all on the same team but it seems that Crab Air is too self-important to join either of the other two, and they don't want them either.

As has already been pointed out, it's pretty much already there, with joint admin and supply systems etc. The only thing that differs, at the moment, is the names and the non-combat uniforms.

There's a lot of historical sentiment and loyalty to overcome before anything serious can be done, I think.

Melchett01
6th Feb 2010, 13:16
Vecvechookattack. Fair point.

But if we believe that Afghanistan is the only game in town, that defence of the homeland is no longer a robust enough argument for the retention of various capabilities, and now that the Harriers are no longer playing in theatre and the RM are doing the same role as army infantry - what does the RN bring to the party to justify its retention as an independent force?

Two's in - if you want to fly around Helmand in something like that, please be my guest. But I seriously doubt anyone with half an ounce of sense would sign off the risk mitigation for it, and the insurance companies would make it prohibitively expensive for the charter companies to operate in theatre.

Fat Chris - and what if we were fighting an air centric campaign? It could happen down the line you never know. Would we be seeing the same levels of support for disbanding the Army and transfering the resultant resources to the RAF?

vecvechookattack
6th Feb 2010, 13:34
I would certainly agree that Afghanistan is not really the RN's bag but we do contribute in a small way. We currently have 240 personnel in Afghan as well as 4 Helicopter Squadrons. Agreed, it may not be many but if you were to withdraw the RN from Afghan then those helicopters and medics and SF etc etc would have to be found from somewhere else.

What we need to remember is that the British Armed Forces are small by comparison across the world. I seem to recall that in size of numbers we are No 26 or 27th largest Armed Force.... Thats right.....tiny countries such as Sri Lanka, Egypt, Burma have more soldiers, airmen and sailors than we do and yet when it comes to spending we are 3rd...?

But to answer the question. What does the RN bring to the party...?

This

http://b-29s-over-korea.com/Submarines-in-the-U.S.NAVY/images/submarine_vanguard_class_nuclear.jpg

zetec2
6th Feb 2010, 13:52
Further to any possible amalgamation of the RAF within the RN, some of us were on 360 Sqd Canberra T17's, half Navy , half RAF, seemed to work ok whilst I was there (engine fitter, trade SNCO) would it be the same or would the RAF have to wear dark blue & grow beards ? Paul H, Bicester.

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 14:44
Melch,

When was the last time we gained air superiority - not took it over from the US?

The Army won't want the RAF FW, the Navy are much better than them so could have it. They would swallow the SH easily and have a GREAT working relationship already - not a problem as we all seem to be in a fashionable sand colour and the SH force have been seen in green once in a while.

The reason they 'seem' parochial about small areas is that’s all they can manage - ON FOOT, it is a traditional thing you know (probably not for a force so young), they don’t do everything in vehicles like other 'ground forces'.

Oh yes, UK AD - not seen the Danish jumping the horizon recently and the US can easily do that for us anyway - get rid and save.
Vev – not always agreed with you but fair play.

knowitall
6th Feb 2010, 14:57
"Oh yes, UK AD - not seen the Danish jumping the horizon recently and the US can easily do that for us anyway - get rid and save."

what if they decide not to, just ask iceland,

on that basis you may as well scrap the entire forces

the problem of getting a quart sized effect out of a pint pot sized budget will not be solved by sacking some senior neddies and making every one wear the same coloured uniform!

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 15:00
Ok with me

Who invaded Iceland by the way?

Fat Chris
6th Feb 2010, 16:09
Melchie, I think that you misunderstand me. I'm not fussed what colour my uniform is, being in the forces is a state of mind, not a state of dress.

I'm sure that we would make the best of what mess we are in, regardless of the type of campaign we are engaged in. After all, isn't it typically British to make sure that we're the underdogs at the start of any conflict and make the job as difficult as it possibly can be, in order that we can sit back afterwards and reminisce about how we overcame this and that, and still came out on top?

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 16:14
Deli,

I think the Army ADs can do the same job, can't they? I think the days of the Empire are over so a bit of realism is called for. Large scale or medium/small/small non enduring? Don't need the worlds largest AD force for the latter - more probable!

PS 2 out of 3 are united - and don't set higher ranks on meetings to win an argument - please prove me wrong if possible!

Wrathmonk
6th Feb 2010, 16:30
I'm not fussed what colour my uniform is, being in the forces is a state of mind, not a state of dress.

Just remember that being aircrew in either of the other 2 Services makes you a second class citizen, regardless of what people may say here. To get "on" in the RN (so you can try to make a difference rather than just bitch about it on PPRuNe....:E) you need to drive ships, be a warfare officer etc - not to be an aviator (or at least certainly not FW). How quickly have the various 1SL's sold out the SHAR and the RN element of JFH (he didn't put up much of a fight, lets be honest). And there will need to be a lot of commission resignations amongst the RW if it goes to the Army (unless you want one tour flying then tour after tour as G1, G3, G7, G9 etc) ;)

360 Sqd Canberra T17's

The best, and cheapest, recruitment agency the RAF and British Airways could ever have! Only ever met 1 dark blue (amongst the aircrew) that returned to the FAA the rest jumped ship (so to speak). I guess some of those 'old boys' who are now on the Rotary fleet may have regretted burning their old RN uniform .... still there can't be many who can say they served in all 3 Services:}

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 18:16
No Sorry I must not have made myself clear. With the 2 new boats, the Navy can have all the FW (as I said before) park one each end of the UK and jobs a good un. All they will have to do is look out for the Ruskies - or are we years past that????

HVM can do the middle bit until the Navy turn up - which they will, a seed change.

By a second class citizen do we mean the Navy and the Army don't expect every one else to run around after them? I must ask all the Admirals and Generals with wings what they think of that. Just because you have been given wings doesn't make you better than the others. So many RAF pilots think it is funny asking ATC which pilots course they failed? So funny!

Dundiggin'
6th Feb 2010, 18:43
up your hoop!:)

Daf Hucker
6th Feb 2010, 18:50
Gnd,

So which course did you fail? :}

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 19:07
Most of them!!! especially 1960 advanced AD

NutLoose
6th Feb 2010, 19:10
The reason I do not seeing it working is budgetary,the Army as is the Navy are oriented to their specialist skills and budgets for those.

In these days of tightening budgets and future projects being slashed, to pass over the RAF budget and their planned aquisitions will see a reduction in the planned developments as funds are redirected by the Army or Navy to bolster their threatened future developments and they will argue down the need for the planned Air power developments as no longer needed, to the detriment of this countries Airpower..

On a Side note, IF 2 are indeed better than 3 as it cuts down on both costs, bureaucracy and duplication of facilities etc

Pray tell me why we have a Parliament, The Welsh Assembly. the Irish Assembly and the Scottish Assembly all Spending Billions on doing what was previously done by one Parliament with 4 times the Bureaucratic pen pushers, especially as the EU now dictates our destiny...

Just a thought, recentralise that!!!!!!!!!

Gnd
6th Feb 2010, 20:07
Have an EU Navy and Army - I love Bratties!!!!

Green Flash
6th Feb 2010, 20:34
Have an EU Navy and Army - I love Bratties!!!!

I wonder if Broons ideas of closer co-op with Les Frogs is indicative of his thinking in this direction?!

Basil
6th Feb 2010, 20:35
zetec2,
would the RAF have to wear dark blue & grow beards ?
No, no; we'd have grandfather rights to a 'tache :)
You weren't, perchance a member of the sub aqua club at Cotty?

Nut,
<<recentralise that!!!!!!!!!>>
Hear hear!

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 15:52
MGD we all know at one time you where hooded, gagged and buggered at some stage by some Jungly types, but you really need to get over it. However if this is your only outlet for your fragile emotions thats fine by me. How far down the light blue que are for your op by the way?

bast0n
8th Feb 2010, 16:01
Guided todger

Don't you be beastly to MGD. He is my target:ok:

PS Prooph-redding does not seem to be your forty................:)

PPS It is Jungly in the singular, and are we not?

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 16:11
Bastord

Edited, thankyou!

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2010, 16:14
Guided,

if you think I am planning to transfer just to teach the RN/RM correct use of the English language, you are much mistaken.

And in answer to your question, CHF normally arrive far to late in an operation to find me. Stand fast Al Faw where we allowed you a supporting role. You could mean the other type of operation, but that's Merlins and I think you chaps are about to jump the queue on that one!

When we initially deployed to Afghanistan in 2002, I seem to remember waving goodbye as you headed back to the UK. I think it's time you went back to sweating over infant school spelling, and left the banter to Bast0n. He's not much better, but does include some degree of humour.

Fly safe

MGD

bast0n
8th Feb 2010, 16:22
PPS again

The title of this thread has confused me for some time now.

RAF Types only - Which way to jump?

I always thought that crabs did not jump - merely scuttled sideways - usually into hiding.

Dammit I was wrong. After much research I have come up with crabs actually jumping forwards, and over Ryanair at that:ok:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Crabs_jumping.jpg

Come to think of it - that may be the best place for you Minitodger:)

Mini T - do you think that Gydid wippon is a dark blue:confused:

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 16:28
MGD

Rumour has it that the mythical MGD is a little portly, I dont believe CHF hold a daily pie eating contest, however I do believe they would make you feel welcome in the more traditional way that you have become accustomed to. I would be at the front of the que!

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2010, 16:45
Guided,

if I could make sense of your incoherent ramblings, I would attempt some banter - but I can't.

1 que Complementiser (a) (reduced to qu' before a vowel) that; il a pensé/dit ~... he thought/said that...
(b) (used as a relative pronoun representing the direct object: can be omitted in English if this doesn't lead to ambiguity) that, which, (for a person) that (sometimes !), who, whom (frm); l'homme ~ j'ai vu hier the man who I saw yesterday, the man (that) I saw yesterday; le café qu'il a préparé the coffee that he made
(c) ce ~ what; ce ~ tu as dit what you said; ce qu'il pense what he thinks

2 que Preposition (a) (in comparisons) than; moins/plus ~ less/more than; il est plus grand ~ moi he's taller than me, he's taller than I am, he's taller than I (frm); la pièce est plus grande qu'elle ne paraît the room is larger than it looks; plutôt ~ rather than; je préfèrerais aller au cinéma ~ que (de) rester ici I'd prefer to go to the cinema than stay here, I'd rather go to the cinema than stay here

3 que Adverb (a) how ( adj, adv), what a ( sg noun), what ( plur or uncountable noun); ~ de mal what trouble; (qu'est-ce) qu'il est stupide! he's so stupid!

4 que Complementiser (a) (Slang: used with a question word; no direct translation) quelle heure qu'il est? what time is it? (neutral); pourquoi qu'il n'est pas venu? why ain't he come?; pourquoi ~ les fous c'est nous? why's it us what's mad?

5 que Negative particle (a) just, only; ce n'est ~ le premier pas it's just (or) only the first step; il n'étudie ~ l'anglais he just (or) only studies English, all he studies is English; il ne fait ~ travailler all he does is work, he does nothing but work; pas ~ not just, not only (more frm); il n'y a pas ~ des français there aren't just French people here

6 que Adverb (a) (literary) why (neutral), wherefore (archaic); ~ ne put-il terminer son travail? wherefore could he not finish his task?

queue

• noun 1 a line of people or vehicles awaiting their turn to be attended to or to proceed. 2 Computing a list of data items, commands, etc., stored so as to be retrievable in a definite order. • verb (queues, queued, queuing or queueing) wait in a queue.

We'll move onto adding up numbers another day.

bast0n
8th Feb 2010, 17:44
Mini Todger

I would attempt some banter

In view of your portliness, perhaps batter would go down better?:)

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 17:48
MGD

Who said the RAf are boring types, Get that lardy arse out more!

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2010, 18:00
Yawn,

if this is what passes for banter, I might migrate to facetube. The portly jibe is mildly amusing but could be aimed at half the military if we are honest. Yes, I've seen a few RN/RM aircrew that require a second glance at the ODM before getting airborne.

However, a little less time looking at oneself in the gym mirror and a little more navigation practice and you may spend a little less time trying to invade Spain (instead of Gibraltar), or repeatedly explaining to the nice Iranian gentlemen why you feel the border must have been moved.

Anymore blazing wit? or are we all done for a while?

Soup_Dragon
8th Feb 2010, 18:01
Of course, the Army and Navy are chuffed all the way to NAAFI break at having the tone thoroughly lowered by a bunch of crabfat HR-intensive G1 wonders with FMeds the size of the Yellow Pages.

What the fcuk are we supposed to do with:

18 year-old Flight Sgts
18 stone engineers
OC Stn Diversity and other such commissariat types
etc, etc

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2010, 18:07
At least it will raise the collective IQ. However, I don't really see this happening, and if it does, I see few transferring over. So, I wouldn't lose sleep thinking about it. Besides, you don't strike me as adaequately equipped to think much anyway.

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 18:12
Are you still going to be banging on about something which had nothing to do with the Fleet Air Arm for the rest of your dull life.

Regarding getting lost, I find that a little bit cheeky considering you are an RAF "Nav Assist, blah, blah, blah" type.

Yes I am now done, we have established that I can't spell and that you are a fat b##stard!

minigundiplomat
8th Feb 2010, 18:20
Oh dear,

I think I know why you're tired and emotional. You can't be the only member of CHF turned down by the light blue can you?

God knows the queue is a long one, but we can't take everyone. Try the Air Cadets.

guidedweapons
8th Feb 2010, 18:30
Just remind me again how many people have been turned down, I cant recall one!!!
In fact isnt it the case that the RAf have taken to poaching from the RN, due to a shortage of healthy slim chaps.
I heard a rumour that you are not helping this numbers situation!

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2010, 10:52
You will see quite a few posts are missing. Wanna take a guess at why - or why it is now closed?