PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between restricted and normal ratings?

StudentPilot21
4th Feb 2010, 19:01
Hi,
Ill hopefully getting an Instructors licence this year. But I need to know what the difference is between restricted and normal instructor ratings?

Thanks in advance

Duchess_Driver
4th Feb 2010, 21:09
You train for an FI(A) rating, Flight instructor (Aeroplane).

On first qualification, that rating is restricted in its privilages.

No first solo send-offs, day or night.
No first solo navigation send-offs, day or night.
Must be supervised by an unrestricted instructor.

On reaching a certain level of experience that restriction is lifted.

25 solo send-offs (subsequent)
100hrs total instruction time.

LASORS or JAR-FCL subpart H details this more accurately.

HTH

Duchess

chrisbl
4th Feb 2010, 21:33
DD is absolutely correct in every respect but if I may I will offer some advice.

The internet makes it very easy just to go on the web ask a question and get an answer. This time the answer is is right. A lot of stuff that is put on on these forums is tosh, and often the usefulness of the information is inversely proportional to the thread length.

A far better question to ask would be "where can I find out etc etc". You are directed, in this case you go to LASORS and in addition to getting the answer, you learn to use LASORs a publication of great use as an instructor.

Now when it comes down to teaching a student, I use the approach where I direct the student to where the information is, we discuss it and I then discover whether they understand what they have learnt or are just repeating what they have read.

Just giving the answer does very little to help a student learn. It just makes a student less self reliant or even lazy.

mad_jock
4th Feb 2010, 22:16
Just giving the answer does very little to help a student learn

Well said.

As a matter of interest what is the intial posters background in aviation?

Duchess_Driver
4th Feb 2010, 22:19
DD is absolutely correct in every respect

:ok:

LASORs a publication of great use as an instructor.

:eek:;)

BillieBob
4th Feb 2010, 23:52
You are directed, in this case you go to LASORS [sic]NOT!!!

LASORS is a fine example of how not to communicate important information. Setting aside the fact that the CAA cannot manage to keep the thing up to date (it's now two years old), even when LASORS 2008 was first published, it was so packed with errors and misinformation that it was an utterly useless document. The only truly reliable source of licensing information is JAR-FCL and , since the UK CAA is so far behind behind the drag curve, they have been forced to provide a complete copy on their website - JAR-FCL1 (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=1207) and JAR-FCL2 (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=1208)

StudentPilot21
5th Feb 2010, 14:36
Thanks for the help guys.
:ok:

Cows getting bigger
5th Feb 2010, 14:48
.... and JAR FCL is up to date? I thought JAA had ceased to exist. ;) Regardless, the CAA links refer to JAA regulations last edited in 2006. Funny old world we live in. :hmm:

S-Works
5th Feb 2010, 16:27
There are various releases of JAR FCL. The version that the UK uses is amendment 5 which has the relevant parts incorporated into the ANO. The last release of JAR FCL I think was either 7 or 8 without looking. Other countries used later versions.