PDA

View Full Version : Circuit heights

BristolScout
4th Feb 2010, 14:06
I was chatting with an ex-student recently. He is in the process of visiting lots of different aerodromes and asked me a question which, to my shame, I couldn't answer. Where does one look to find the circuit height of an unfamiliar aerodrome? He was talking about the legally definitive source, rather than the local knowledge/unofficial flight guide stuff. It's not in the AIP, as far as I can see. Any ideas gratefully received.

FlyingOfficerKite
4th Feb 2010, 14:33
It is in the UK AIP.

The data for Manchester-Barton can be found at:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EGCB/EG_AD_2_EGCB_en.pdf

for example, with the circuit heights and procedures for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft clearly defined.

The answer to your question in respect of fixed wing aircraft is described as :

EGCB AD 2.22 — FLIGHT PROCEDURES
1. Fixed Winged
a. Fixed winged circuit height is 1000 ft (Barton QFE)
b. Fixed winged standard join is overhead at 1800 ft Barton QFE. Pilots should inform ATS if performing a non-standard join prior to entering the
ATZ.
c. Variations on circuit direction are permitted for training, weather or operational requirements providing the FISO is informed of the pilots
intentions.
d. Circuit directions: Runways 14,20, 27L,27R - RH; Runways 02, 09L, 09R and 32 - LH.
e. Orbits within the circuit are not permitted unless required for safety reasons.
f. Go-Arounds
i. Approaches to runways must not be continued below 200 ft aal if:
1. The approach ahead or runway is occupied or obstructed by aircraft, vehicles or personnel
2. The PIC feels that the approach or landing is becoming unstable or unsafe
g. Go-Around Procedure
i. To initiate the go-around, manoeuvre the aircraft to the deadside of the runway climbing parallel to the runway in use climbing to circuit
height (1000 ft aal) before turning crosswind.
ii. Exercise caution when low flying in the go-around over aircraft on the ground including helicopters air taxiing, ground instructions, personnel
and vehicles
iii. Ensure aircraft ahead are kept in sight
iv. Do not manoeuvre onto the live side as this may conflict with helicopter operations
v. Do not climb initially above 500 ft aal until you have passed the upwind end of the runway in use, which ensures maximim seperation
between you and aircraft joining overhead, flying crosswind at circuit height
h. Pilots must not carry out 'run and break' manoeuvres within the Barton circuit.

I hope this helps?

KR

FOK

NorthSouth
4th Feb 2010, 16:52
If it's not specified in the AIP or the various VFR flight guides or on the airfield's website, or hasn't been advised to you when you phone up for PPR, it's 1000ft QFE.
NS
Seemples ntch

FlyingOfficerKite
5th Feb 2010, 00:27
Indeed!

KR

FOK

BristolScout
5th Feb 2010, 10:16
Thanks for that, guys. It tends to confirm what I thought that there isn't a single source, since not all AIP aerodrome entries specify this parameter. I agree with the assumption of 1000 feet if all else fails but, practically, most GA fields seem to have variations on this for noise abatement/good neighbourliness these days.:ok: