PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure. Not a PT6 for a change

Hasherucf
4th Feb 2010, 07:37
Fresh off the ABC website a fairly impressive failure on what looks like a Titan.

Plane's engine explodes mid-flight - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/04/2810317.htm)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201002/r508563_2735051.jpg
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201002/r508573_2735227.jpg

Wally Mk2
4th Feb 2010, 07:58
Oh what a nice peace of work there, well done to the driver:D Says a lot for twins me 'tinks even piston ones:ok:
Great pix too, action shot, gotta love interactive visual media:)

The Gitso's are a great engine but like all recip engines they are under constant stress.
Many years ago (over 10) there was one of our planes that had an eng failure (same airframe as subject here pre Beech) in IMC did an NDB to the Min on one donk & missed out climbed en-route in the circuit area to LSALT then set course to do another NDB at another location only to get visual at the last few seconds & land. The paramedic I had the pleasure of flying with some years latter when we had a very scary event also (severe turb). Said paramedic now keeps feet firmly on the ground:) If I see said paramedic heading towards a plane I run!:}

Now if it had have been a PT6 & only one of them then the flood gates would open up here:}

Wmk2

frigatebird
4th Feb 2010, 08:03
'Well Done', to the pilot. Thats why having two fans for commercial ops is such a good idea. The other one helped keep him cool too. A Titan is it ?

The Green Goblin
4th Feb 2010, 08:28
A titan for sure.

I'm guessing the turbo let go?

I miss the sound of those gitzoes, I would miss it even more when one stopped.

Good job, by the stripe down the Nacelle I'm assuming it's an ex Skytrans bird?

ab33t
4th Feb 2010, 09:31
I know the feeling its amazing both keep me cool and as soon as one stops the cooling is not enough and the sweat breaks out

FourBalls
4th Feb 2010, 23:17
Well done to the pilot.:ok:

Titan VH-ANP of GAS in Kal. Used to be Air Norths

bushy
5th Feb 2010, 04:36
Who says piston twins can't fly on one? If the pilot does it right they can.
Sometimes it is not easy.

Jet_A_Knight
5th Feb 2010, 04:38
At least THAT one's easy to identify.:ok:

Counter-rotation
5th Feb 2010, 05:04
Bushy,

The aircraft DOES have to do its part too... :ok:

CR

Towering Q
5th Feb 2010, 07:32
FourBalls....nothing as exciting as that ever happened to us when flying the "Binford"!!

Nice work Don...you're White Rat material now son!!!

krankin
5th Feb 2010, 08:04
Who says piston twins can't fly on one? If the pilot does it right they can.
Sometimes it is not easy.

Ten Bucks says it wasnt fully loaded. Thats a BIG factor in the success of such an event in a piston twin!

K

Wally Mk2
5th Feb 2010, 08:24
'Krankin' you would be correct there the plane here would obviously not be fully loaded but have a read of my last post. Our Co A/C was close to AUW when it had to do a SE go-around off an App & climb to LSALT b4 heading off to do it all again, on one piston donk in IMC! I think Vh ANP is an ex RFDS rig?
I find the secret to handling a twin with one engine just coming along for the ride is to get the auto pilot on as soon as possible (if avail obviously) that way let 'george' keep the blue line nailed as that's not easy to do under real eng failure conditions especially at night in IMC.
Now how do you break up the flight hrs upon arrival for yr log book after such an event?:}

Wmk2

Arnold E
5th Feb 2010, 09:05
Errr, What sort of auto pilot are you talking about in aTitan? Speed control?????

Wally Mk2
5th Feb 2010, 09:20
Yes IAS lock & as I said if available. At the very least pitch control.

Wmk2

Arnold E
5th Feb 2010, 09:26
Can you tell me the type of A/P you are talking about, I am not familiar with that one on a Titan with speed control:confused::confused:

sms777
5th Feb 2010, 10:31
Speed control is your right hand that slams every available lever to the firewall when **** hits the fan in a piston twin.

Arnold E
5th Feb 2010, 10:36
TRUE, no analog autopilot that I know of..
Unless, ofcourse, you are flying from the right seat, which means the left hand does all the work:E

Jamair
5th Feb 2010, 13:50
A few years ago a Skytrans 404 had an engine let go enroute to Yorke Is. As I remember it, (and anyone who has clearer recall feel free to jump in) the driver correctly shut it down and secured the dead 'un - which included pulling the warning U/C CB to shut up the horn bleating about one throttle being closed with the gear up, and diverted to Horn. When he got to HID, he made a normal visual approach but didn't get any gear position lights, so did a go-around - but left the gear down. Even with the gear down, heavily loaded and OEI, that bloody amazing aeroplane stayed airborne and came back for another go - this time he remembered the U/C CB also controlled the U/C position indicator lights.......

My favourite piston twin.

B200 my favourite turbine twin.

PC12 & C208 about tied for my favourite single.

Gidday Wally!:) Mate they're ALL twin hours for the book - the regs say twin engine aeroplane, don't say nuthin' about both engines having to be actually RUNNIN'! And your paramedic mate had probably heard what happens to a Jonas on board ship; didn't want to see if the same applied in the air!

krankin
5th Feb 2010, 18:02
'Wally',

I am still stuck in machines which are fitted with what i would have thought was standard GA fare: next to nothing in terms of optional extras like speed control!!! But for a piston twin to pull that off is certainly encouraging!Well done to any driver who gets one back home after one letting go on them!

K

rcoight
5th Feb 2010, 20:34
An Aerostar I used to fly a lot had an "IAS" mode on the autopilot.
Worked pretty well too - used it all the time in the climb.

Well, that is on the 1% of occasions when the autopilot itself was working...

Great photos, and well done to the pilot of the Titan.

Arnold E
6th Feb 2010, 08:05
I am interested in that Aerostar, can you tell me what the call sign was and what sort of autopilot was fitted?
Was the airspeed selectable or did it just hold the "current" airspeed?

Donwoody
10th Feb 2010, 11:20
The Titon was in the cruise at 5500ft when the crankcase had a hole punched through it above the front right hand cylinder. The plane was about 180kg under max toff weight, single engine performance was good. I'm glad I made it back to Warburton.

bushy
11th Feb 2010, 01:27
I remember, a long time ago an NT operator bought two brand new Titans. The crew were mainly young "gung ho" people who were under a lot of commercial pressure. They had a series of self destructing engines in the Titans, and soon the Titans were sold.
Other operators had long sucessful service from Titans and many pilots loved them. Titans are still sought after charter aircraft.