PDA

View Full Version : Assessment Services Pty Limited (ASL)

Agro55
4th Feb 2010, 01:40
Yet another ATPL exam canned, especially annoying when I am given an hour’s notice of cancellation and due to depart back to hometown later in the day. Is it too much to ask that ASL appreciate the time away from work, and the time and effort put into preparing for these exams that candidates take? Apparently technical difficulties are again to blame, an internet connection problem. Considering the cost, $114, of this particular exam, and others being similar prices, one would think that ASL may choose to equip their centre’s with an up to date reliable internet connection?! I am told over the phone by ASL Ops manager that the problem was indeed an internet connection problem but when asked who their provider is I am told that is confidential!? A Sat-Internet connection would cost more per exam I am also told and that this present malfunction is “rare”, 3 exams out of 7 is not rare! I for one find the some aspects of the services provided by ASL in need of review and am curious as to anyone else finding an attentive/assertive ear at CASA that may help in improving the required services? Even though in a short amount of time I will not have the pleasure of relying on ASL any further, however, I still feel the need to bring their services to someone’s attention.

baffler15
4th Feb 2010, 20:36
Which centre are you referring to? I've done some in Townsville recently and have had no problems.......

j3pipercub
4th Feb 2010, 21:10
Make a complaint to CASA and send ASL an invoice with lost revenue etc. Might not get you anywhere but could be a bit of fun and might start something rolling. I was very lucky, in the 15 exams I sat there, I never had a problem. Lots of friends had problems however.

uncopilot
5th Feb 2010, 02:56
After submitting my IREX for a mark I get a screen saying something like "lost connection error". ASL's internet connection failed between when I submitted the exam and waiting for the result to display. Not a nice feeling. After a day of nail biting the ASL Techo was able to piece together my result and I received a phone call with the good news. Would gladly buy that person a beer if I ever met them.

I also could not believe that the ASL system is so vulnerable to failure due to a third party internet connection with seemingly no redundancy.