PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember Dick Meston ??

Truckstop
3rd Feb 2010, 22:07
Hiya, I am Dick Mestons son (Stuart) and I followed a google link to this forum regarding his name .. I am interested in finding out if any of you remember Dick Meston. He lived in Yorkshire last and was flying out of scotland where he met his end sadly. He lived near goole and was always the wind up merchant and practical joker ..

If this rings a bell with any of you please get in touch ..

Thanks ..

Stuart Meston .. :)

md 600 driver
3rd Feb 2010, 22:45
hi nice guy i did some flying with him when he worked for don copley

nigelh
3rd Feb 2010, 22:45
Your Father was a very very good friend of mine for many years and worked for me at GSM helicopters near Ripon . I spent many many a night at your house and Jed Paton ( engineer ) . We flew together a lot and had a huge amount of fun as well . I remember him very well burning up the track to the hangar in his Saab !!!! How is your Mother ? If you say Nigel she will know exactly who you mean !! Your dad was a truly great pilot who taught me more than anyone else and i miss him very much . PM me if you want to know any more ...i have lots of stories , some of which you will have seen here ..like 5 pax and an alsation in/on my Bell 47 !!!!:D

ericferret
4th Feb 2010, 12:29
I worked with Dick during the 85/86 cropspraying season when he was working for Bond flying Hiller 12E's. I remember us shooting at floating bottles one summer in what can only be described as a toxic chemical lagoon at Metheringham.
Last time I saw him was at Strubby probably in 1986 flying a Soloy 12E.

Odd in a way as I was only thinking about him a week or two ago, specifically his accident.

bondu
4th Feb 2010, 17:12
Hi Stuart,

I have very good memories of flying with your father! :)

I remember doing my Bo105 instrument training with Dick in February 1989, based in Aberdeen, but flying out of Longside, near Peterhead. I also completed my underslung load and line training with Dick before he did my line check for offshore operations.

My last encounter with him was in July/August 2000, when he did my EMS air ambulance line training down at St Mawgan and Exeter.

He was a great guy, with the patience of a saint! (which he needed with me on my early IF flying in the Bolkow!!). :O

One of aviation's true gentlemen, who is sorely missed. :sad:

bondu

DeltaNg
4th Feb 2010, 18:10
I think there may possibly be some confusion here with a Dick Metson, who is a living ex-Bond pilot.

md 600 driver
4th Feb 2010, 18:53
delta

not by me and nigel h and of course truckstop

Truckstop
5th Feb 2010, 14:20
Wow .. thankyou all for responding so quickly to this thread .. it is great to hear that my dad was seen as someone who is remembered fondly and with so much respect. I am really pleased that you have all replied and thankyou.
I would love to hear from you if you have any old photo's or stories kicking around. Please feel free to PM me.

Thankyou all so much

Stuart Meston

Boslandew
6th Feb 2010, 18:36
Hi Stewart

I used to know Dick in Topcliffe, 666 Sqdn AAC in 1974/75. He flew Sioux, I flew Scouts. He used to build the most amazing gliders, apparently freehand, there never seemed to be a design. He built a ferocious crossbow out of odds and ends, again freestyle, and also demonstrated the sling (as used by David against Goliath).

My regards to your mother, (tell her David And Utee)

Boslandew

bondu
7th Feb 2010, 14:46
Truckstop,

Sorry Stuart, I seem to have suddenly developed dyslexia! Meston/Metson!! My mistake, I didn't know your dad. Please accept my apologies for this confusion - I put it down to old age!! :O

bondu

Jeff Anderson
11th Mar 2012, 16:32
Stuart,

I had the best time ever flying with your Dad in 1976/77 when I worked at Heli-Leeds. I met your mum several times and even rode in the London taxi when you lived next to the racecourse. I have a picture of Dick from 1976 on Facebook, will send you a link!

nigelh
13th Mar 2012, 12:19
Hi Stuart , i am in Yorkshire for next few weeks so get in touch and come over . You will be amazed as i have hardly changed in the last 28 yrs since i last saw you :ok: I guess you are now in long trousers ....!!!
I have PM,d you . Nigel

16th Jan 2018, 02:38
Sorry to bring this thread up to the top again. Three old friends of Dick, have just been reminiscing about him this evening. What a wonderful man.

I decided to google his name, and hey. Here we are. Good friends talking of him, and his wonderful exploits..

Very much missed!

Regards

md 600 driver
16th Jan 2018, 21:28
Yes I remember dick when I was training with heliyorks at sherburn where he did some work for them nice guy good pilot it was a shock to hear of his accident must have been 25 /28 years ago Sorry to bring this thread up to the top again. Three old friends of Dick, have just been reminiscing about him this evening. What a wonderful man.

I decided to google his name, and hey. Here we are. Good friends talking of him, and his wonderful exploits..

Very much missed!

Regards

HughMartin
16th Jan 2018, 22:32
Flew with Dick Meston in 1977 at HeliLeeds. He did my H300 training. Great pilot. Also flew with Dick Metson in NSH/ Bond.

PEASACAKE
17th Jan 2018, 09:08
Hiya, I am Dick Mestons son (Stuart) and I followed a google link to this forum regarding his name .. I am interested in finding out if any of you remember Dick Meston. He lived in Yorkshire last and was flying out of scotland where he met his end sadly. He lived near goole and was always the wind up merchant and practical joker ..

If this rings a bell with any of you please get in touch ..

Thanks ..

Stuart Meston .. :)

Am I right in thinking he also worked for Police Aviation Services.

If so I did work with him for a year, he was so humorous and an amazing cartoonist.

17th Jan 2018, 19:01
nice guy good pilot it was a shock to hear of his accident must have been 25 /28 years ago
A great guy.

Dick's accident occurred on 5 May 1995. I believe he was 52?

He certainly did work for PAS.