PDA

View Full Version : Weird broadband speed results

x213a
3rd Feb 2010, 20:44
I'm 12 days in to my BT experience so far and have encountered my first possible snag.
Have checked with various online speed checkers and the needle flickers from between 300mbps - 1450mbps. This is constant flickering throughout the speed tests.
I have tried an online game from a UK server and my ping varies quite rapidly from 40 - 80ms. This causes significant lag for me and makes it unplayable.

These are my BT speedtester results:

Download speedhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/help.jpgachieved during the test was - 1358 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/help.jpg is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1664 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
These are my homehub line stats:

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line stateConnectedConnection time0 days, 00:21:27Downstream1,664 KbpsUpstream448 Kbps ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI0/38TypePPPoAModulationG.992.1 Annex ALatency typeInterleavedNoise margin (Down/Up)12.4 dB / 18.0 dBLine attenuation (Down/Up)54.0 dB / 30.5 dBOutput power (Down/Up)2.7 dBm / 1.5 dBmLoss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0FEC Errors (Down/Up)1212 / 0CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0Error Seconds (Local/Remote)0 / 1

Anybody any ideas? It's been like this since about 3pm today. Have tried resetting PC and homehub etc. No other computers are running on the same line and I removed the bellwire from the master socket last week. I really dont fancy the cal;l centre experience at the moment:}

Cheers:ok:

Keef
3rd Feb 2010, 22:19
Sorry to ask more questions...

Has it been playing about like that all the time?

Have you left the modem (or modem/router, or whatever) switched on all the time?

Have you checked the theoretical speed of your line? There's a very simple test URL where you just give it your telephone number and it tells you what speed you should get. I can never remember the URL...
This one is close. (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25795&s_cid=con_FURL_broadband/faster)

BOAC
4th Feb 2010, 10:13
You say it is a new connection to BT? It does take time for your speed to settle down at the 'optimum', but not normally 12 days.

After a suitable time I would suggest you investigate via Google some of the broadband optimising tools - I got a significant hike in my speed from an MTU (QV) change.

x213a
4th Feb 2010, 18:42
Has it been playing about like that all the time?
I started noticing significant lags during online game 2 days ago. No significant changes my end that I can think of. Ran every BB speedtester under the sun since then and all with same results - flickering needle like a Cessna's ADF!

Same results from 2 different laptops connected wirelessly also, one Vista, one Ubuntu.

Have you left the modem (or modem/router, or whatever) switched on all the time?
During the 12 day settling in stage the router has been reset a few times times. First during the first day of connection when I was comparing speeds on my extension sockets to the master socket, and then from the various sockets after I disconnected the bell wire from the master. It had then been running uninterupted until I started troubleshooting 2 days ago.

Have you checked the theoretical speed of your line?
3Mb based on distance from the exchange, that was BT's estimation after checking our line also. Over the past 12 days I've been running BT's speedtester program and have seen my IP profile as high as 3Mb and enjoyed up to 2.8Mb out of that with no noticable problems. My IP profile appeared to be changing daily though - sometimes as low as 500kbps giving me about .42 downstream.

I have just had a 30 minute call centre experience where they first ran various line tests involving lots of disconnections and them calling me back - then they attempted to remote access my PC which I was willing for them to do but they abandaned that idea and ran more line tests.
A BT engineer is coming out on the 11th. I asked if they found any problems with the line tests and they said everything seemed OK and an engineer was required to physically check my setup etc.

I was also advised NOT to call them back before the engineer arrives regarding this problem as it would wipe all their records and ticket history and it would all have to start from scratch. Never heard that one before!

green granite
4th Feb 2010, 20:01
I was also advised NOT to call them back before the engineer arrives regarding this problem as it would wipe all their records and ticket history and it would all have to start from scratch. Never heard that one before!

When I had speed degradation in the evenings recently (down to 1Meg or less from 7+day time speeds) the engineer did various checks and fitted a proper adsl master skt and said he was certain that it was an exchange problem which it was. when I run the call centre a week later to see what was happening they said they would have to start the whole process again. An engineer arrived...................................

Scottie Dog
4th Feb 2010, 21:41
I had the same problem when I first get a BT Homehub - all sorts of calls to India (at least they were free) and finally solved when an engineer came and replaced the phone socket and put in a proper adsl socket.

All well now.

Hope that helps

caran
28th Apr 2010, 11:57
I got here using a searcher, i been having problems with my wifi for several days and its getting worst every day. I think everytime i do a speed test my speed decreases. may it be possible? i tried opening some ports as a friend told me, can somebody help me?

mixture
28th Apr 2010, 21:07
x213a,

I'm 12 days in to my BT experience so far

My condolences. :cool:

However I digress, and in reply to your question about speeds, I will copy/paste verbatum (well almost) from a post I've already made in a previous thread here.....

You should make yourself familiar with the BT spec for the service :

http://www.btwebworld.com/sinet/485v1p0.pdf

The document details, amongst other things, what BT considers to be acceptable speeds for the service.

It also contains this tidbit, which all *DSL users should remember ......

Typically, the End Users require occasional fast but ‘bursty’ access to private network facilities and / or the Internet (via the Customer). The products are not suitable for End Users who require continuous bit-rate, full-bandwidth services.

("the Customer" being your ISP, i.e. BT in your case ... and "the End User" being you.)