PDA

View Full Version : ATPL/CPL Exams in UK

sapperkenno
3rd Feb 2010, 16:36
I'm toying with the idea of doing the 9 CPL exams in order to meet the theoretical knowledge requirements, so that I can go on to do an FI course and use it with my JAA PPL. I have FAA instructor ratings, but they are legally useless here in the UK as far as the CAA are concerned, and I want keep my hand in instructing over the next couple of years until I can move to the US, while legally logging PIC and "dual given" time.

And so, my questions(s);

Are the 9 (I think) exams for the CPL part of the 14 ATPL exams, or are they specific CPL ones?

Can these be done at a school, along the same lines as the PPL ones... ie, turn up and take them... or do I need to go to all the hassle (and cost) of enrolling on an ATPL course, and going to one of the ATPL test centres (Gatwick, Shuttleworth or wherever)? I have no interest in pursuing an ATPL, or an IR here, paying for a TR and selling my soul to the devil, or any of that nonsense. I just want to use my hard earned instructor training and keep the "Cash And Aggro" happy that I'm not teaching without a JAA FI rating.

If anyone can help me out, with worthwhile answers, and without this resulting in a slagging match, I would appreciate it.

Thankyou!

Whirlygig
3rd Feb 2010, 17:58
The CPL course is a cut-down version of the ATPL course; smaller syllabus, fewer exams but the individual questions are the same ones. You will need to enrol on a course like ATPL and not all groundschools cover CPL.

You do realise that without the actual commercial licence you won't be able to earn any money as a JAA FI.

Cheers

Whirls

paco
4th Feb 2010, 06:59
but the individual questions are the same ones

only true for helicopters - the CPL(A) is a very much lower academic standard than the ATPL(A)! :)

I'm not knowledgable about FI ratings outside the exams, but isn't the CPL knowledge required rather than the actual licence? If someone knows the right answer it would help someone here as well

phil

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2010, 09:04
The 9 CPL exams make up part of the 14 ATPL exams.Are you sure? The syllabi are different; for example, meteorology at CPL does not cover climatology whereas it does at ATPL. Similarly for polar stereo- wotsits in Nav!

CPL theory + IR theory does not equal ATPL theory as far as I know for fixed wing (does for helicopters at the moment!!).

Cheers

Whirls

sapperkenno
4th Feb 2010, 17:37
Thanks for the replies so far.

Yep, I realise I won't be able to earn money by virtue of only having a PPL. If I get the "knowledge" (sound like a Lahn-dan cab driver there) done, I'll probably do the CPL somewhere down the line. I'm a fixed wing person too at the moment, so I appreciate that the rotary CPL requirements differ from those needed for us plank drivers.

It's just that I want to be able to fly with my mates here in the UK and legally give them tuition and log the time. Or, possibly fly for free giving instruction in my spare time. As it stands, I did a load of good quality training at a proper stick and rudder school out in the States, have knowledge to impart, and don't want to get rusty. Also, when friends need BFR's for their 61.75 (based on) FAA Private cert's, we'll be able to do that properly.

The hours I've got exceed the 150/200, and I'm aware of what's required for the FI rating, and look forward to learning how to instruct the JAA way. So I just need to know about the "theoretical knowledge" aspects. I honestly can't be fussed (almost said something else there) having to do the ATPL's, but it looks like I'll have to do a similar thing anyway, having to enrol with a school, pay daft amounts of money, go to a CAA testing centre etc etc.

Am I right in thinking that there IS a different set of CPL exams (possibly same questions involved) then? Does anyone do these any more, or are most people future ATPL-ers and do the whole shaboodle?!

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2010, 17:41
Am I right in thinking that there IS a different set of CPL exams (possibly same questions involved) then?Yes.

I don't think too many folk do the CPL(A) exams but some do. When I did the CPL(H) course, there was a lone female doing CPL(A) (for the same reasons as you) and she joined up with us few rotary students in the brush-up courses.

Cheers

Whirls

sapperkenno
6th Feb 2010, 19:21
Thanks for the replies.

@Alister;
The mates of mine already have PPL's/CPL's (and some FAA cert's too) but it's nice to know the info about friends who don't have a licence.

I'll see how the next couple of months pan out, as at this stage, JAA FI is something which would be a "nice to have", and I'd plan on using my FAA cert's primarily... but need the JAA FI rating to legally instruct here in JAA land. I'm not planning on doing it as a living, just to keep my hand in.

Cheers,
Spr K retd.