PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Home Ownership scheme

Beenie Man
1st Feb 2010, 23:25
I know this is an aircrew forum and should be about flying but I have just seen the Armed forces Home Ownership Scheme paperwork which is supposed to help us get on the housing market (a bit like the key worker scheme). Why is it that it is only open to such a ridiculously small percentage of us instead of anyone who is looking to get a house with some support from the MOD (4 - 6 years of service). It seems like it is only aimed at those who they feel are a retention risk, as stated in the paperwork, instead of actually helping those who want and need support buying a house? I know that it is only a pilot scheme but I would expect it to be open to anyone who has given a decent amount of service and needs/wants a house. Seems very unfair to me.

Mr C Hinecap
2nd Feb 2010, 05:15
Department with not much money wants to appear to do something good for the troops. Department comes up with insanely narrow qualifying requirements to meet aims - but only just.

You sound surprised.

getsometimein
2nd Feb 2010, 08:09
Yes, only a limited budget, and also only available to those that cant afford their own home in the area they live/work, and only available in England.

It is a pilot scheme for what appears to be the MoD getting rid of the housing as it looks like its more expensive to rent out housing to staff rather than just giving them a handful of cash to get them their own house.

top_cover
2nd Feb 2010, 08:48
What a whole load of rubbish, being seen to do something, but actually do very little. The forces are full of these small little groups who claim to help the Armed forces but actually achieve very little. Every time they do something for that person, he/she is wheeled out in front of a camera and placed upon another glossy piece of paper so as to illustrate how well the said group is doing. Is it really so bad now in the Armed forces that we need this sort of publicity. Smoke and mirrors the whole lot of it :mad:

Runaway Gun
2nd Feb 2010, 12:27
Yes, my purdy little eyes lit up for almost three nanoseconds when first reading about this, but then quickly furrowed back into disappointment when I figured that it only applied to a handful of my work collegues.
End result? Just a bit grumpier.

Beenie Man
2nd Feb 2010, 12:35
I fully understand that only a limited budget is available for this pilot scheme but why didn't they open it up to all who have served more than 4 years and allocate the funds based on an individuals financial situation or on a first come first served basis.

What about all of the guys and girls who have served more than 6 years but could do with the help and have already given their fair share of service. It also seems that with flying training taking so long these days that aircrew stand no chance of getting involved as after 6 years they will have barely finished training and moving around every few months.

It seems to me that instead of aiding retention all that will be achieved is P***ing off everyone else who does not fall into this very small window of opportunity.

Standby!
4th Feb 2010, 21:11
Still, I'm sure (in time honoured fashion) someone will get promoted out of it. :ugh:

VinRouge
4th Feb 2010, 21:25
All they are going to do is trap people on a housing ladder that has a long way to fall still, especially once stimulus is withdrawn and public sector cuts and tax raises make us feel very poor.

Those that have been in 4-6 years would be best advised to stay well clear of government trickery to try and artificially prop up the UK housing market on exceptionally low volumes due to short termist electioneering.

Any wonder the FTSE is down since QE has more or less stopped?

endplay
5th Feb 2010, 15:17
Why is it only pilots who are being helped?

IGMG