PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL to JAA PPL

hugh flung_dung
1st Feb 2010, 15:28
A recent question prompted me to refresh my knowledge on this. Having dug-around in JAR-FCL 1.015 and LASORS A7, A18, B1.1, C1.2, C1.3 I think the requirements (assuming more than 100 hours TT logged) are:
JAA medical
written exams for Air Law, Human Performance & Limitations, R/T theory
sufficient training to pass the flight skill test
R/T practical testHave I got it right?

HFD

(edited to get my JAAs and JARs right)

hugh flung_dung
4th Feb 2010, 10:24
Hmmm, I'm now not so sure about the R/T theory requirement. Can anyone confirm whether it's needed?

HFD

Whopity
4th Feb 2010, 23:06
To get a UK FRTOL you must have passed both the Theory and Practical tests. AIC 19/2004 (White 95) (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/EG_Circ_2004_W_019_en.pdf)

hugh flung_dung
5th Feb 2010, 17:54
Para 10 of that AIC says that they may be able to convert an ICAO licence and refers to LASORS B1 which says: "Holders of a valid Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence issued by any ICAO contracting State, in accordance with Article 44 of the ITU Radio Regulations, which has been issued on the basis of comparable tests and examinations to those required in the UK, will be credited with the practical Communications test and theoretical written examination, provided that the licence is valid and the tests were conducted using the English language."
... hence my doubt. :confused:

HFD

Whopity
6th Feb 2010, 08:21
Article 44 is now Article 37 which contains the following statement:
37.31 4 10 A radiotelephone operator's certificate shall show whether it is a general certificate or a restricted certificate and, in the latter case, if it has been issued in conformity with the provisions of No. 37.30. So unless it contains this statement, it is not acceptable. I don't believe many actually contain such a statement unless you still have a very old UK FRTOL!

In any case a FAA pilot certificate does not include RT privileges outside the USA and must be supplemented with a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Certificate (http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf) which does not comply with Art 37.30 as it is issued on the basis of a declaration and not examinations.

hugh flung_dung
6th Feb 2010, 18:44
Aha, many thanks Mr W. It looks like my original list of the conversion requirements was correct.

HFD

Captain Stravaigin
7th Feb 2010, 07:50
To convert a FAA PP to JAA PPL you have all the correct steps identified. This is what I did - and later found out it was not the best way to have done it.

Your JAA Licence will come with words on it to the effect that this licence was issued on the basis of a US PPL. This means that to fly in the UK/JAA land you need your US SEP rating to be up to date (BFRs etc).

Given that you have to go thru 90% of the grief of getting the JAA licence (Skills test, R/T etc) it is just as easy to take the other 4 or 5 written papers and get a stand alone JAA PPL which will in practice be a lot more useful to you.

Good Luck !

Whopity
7th Feb 2010, 08:56
That is a very interesting statement and I believe contrary to the information published in LASAORS C1.2. What you describe is a Licence Validation; where the licence it is based upon has to be vaild for the privileges to exist. All ICAO licences are rendered valid in Art 62 for PPL privileges.

LASORS C1.2 talks about credits for licence issue which implies that you are being issued with a JAA licence; that is not a validation, and as such should not require the validity of the ICAO licence beyond the issue date.

The licence may contain the phrase that it was issued on the basis of; but does it contain any Restrictions stating that it is only valid with the ICAO licence. If so, where is the justification for such a Restriction? If it does not contain a written Restriction in Section XIII then it does not require the ICAO licence to be current or valid!

hugh flung_dung
7th Feb 2010, 13:33
Captain S - thanks for the reply, but like Whopity I think there may be a misunderstanding or error.

HFD

Captain Stravaigin
11th Feb 2010, 09:25
I must admit I am not sure whether what I went thru is termed Validation or Conversion.

I did, however, complete the steps you first identified in this thread.

I also got a Licence with the term "based on a PPL issued by the United States" - or words to that effect - printed on it.

The assumption that my UK licence was only valid as long as my FAA licence was still valid (BFR etc) is mine. However, this is what I was told by a number of other people at the time. I may well be wrong.

Either way if you are going for the route you describe I still stand by the advice to do all the written papers and avoid any complications.

Cheers