PDA

View Full Version : flying hours

Crazyworld
1st Feb 2010, 01:00
hi,

where and how do you guys accumulate your hours from frozen ATPL? 1500 hours is a huge number, lot of airliners entry position require you at least have 2000 hours including 500 hours medium jet hours. any advices?

thanks

ab33t
1st Feb 2010, 13:16
Instructing is the only sensible way

Wildpilot
1st Feb 2010, 13:48
No instructing is one way, but not the most fun or the most beneficial for you future as a pilot. I choose Africa for my first job real flying in a challenging environment. There are many ways apart from instructing to gain hours but you have to do more research than just posting on pprune.

Good luck

Deano777
1st Feb 2010, 13:52
Crazyworld do you actually mean the 1500hrs required to unfreeze that ATPL? Or 1500hrs extra just to have a minimum of 2000?

welliewanger
3rd Feb 2010, 06:54
True, many companies require 1500 - 2000 hours and turbine time, but only the very rich or the very desperate actually pay to get this through companies like Eagle Jet.

Most people "un-freeze" the ATPL while in work. If I remember rightly you need 1500 hours including 500 multi crew. This is very difficult to buy. Airlines can hire you with the basic frozen ATPL (200 ish hours, and multi engine CPL/IR with ATPL theory exams) They just aren't hiring at the moment!

Generally people take one (or a combination) of these routes:

1. Straight into an airline, usually Ryanair, Easyjet or Flybe. At the moment this is difficult because of a lull in the industry.

2. Instructing to get hours up and maintain currency, then get an airline job.

3. Go to Africa (and become a real man!) Bush flying is great fun and you'll learn a lot. If you survive it you must be good! :ok:

4. Other aerial work (banner towing, photography, pleasure flights)