PDA

View Full Version : " I " like Etihad

EYZ
29th Jan 2010, 07:03
Ok before I am black balled from every airline in the world for saying I like my job please let me explain!!
Firstly I said " I " so me, I like it. The only reason I start the thread is because there is a lot of complaining on here and I wanted to offer a balance so here goes...

I fly A330/A340, which apart from the 777 is the easy fleet, for me it has the best route network and ULR gives me quite a bit of time at home, on average 10-11 days per month, yes sometimes its 8, but its not too often.

The A320 is a different thing all together, they work hard, doing all the S.h.i.t flights we use to do, I would not join this fleet given my current position in Etihad, it must improve if it doesn't I can understand people jumping ship.

As for the EY management, I flew in Europe before and I know nobody who liked our management there either, is it not just human instinct to think your be hard done by? As for our VP's earning 180,000AED I dont care,it doesn't effect me, however I suspect its not exactly that figure!

As for the bonus, for the first 4 years there was no bonus, and nobody cared, then it comes, then it goes, I hope it returns but its not in my contract so can I really complain if I dont get it?

I too wish my salary, housing, schooling etc goes up, but I use to wish for this in Europe too..I guess everyone does.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion I would not leave EY right now, there is nowhere that is head and sholders better, if there is is share it and we can all come.

If you feel I've wronged all pilots then pls feel free to call me a few names, but I like it (the job not being called names!!)

Bus429
29th Jan 2010, 07:10
I learnt a bit of a lesson while working in ME nearly 20 years ago - accept you are going to get cr@p at work but make the most of your leisure and family time. It is often no better in the EU or anywhere else. These days, some of us are lucky to have work; if you think working for an airline is hard going, try working for yourself - tough times!

flybe37
29th Jan 2010, 07:28
To: EYZ

The A320 is a different thing all together, they work hard, doing all the S.h.i.t flights we use to do, I would not join this fleet in Etihad, it must improve if it doesn't I can understand people jumping ship.

Why do EY have a cadet pilot programme then? Perhaps to lock innocent young wannabes into the A320 for 7 years after everyone else has jumped ship? :ok:

Firestorm
29th Jan 2010, 07:31
I used to work for a low cost airline in the UK where I like many moaned alot about all sorts of aspects of the job. Then I was made redundant, and now I have nothing to moan about, and no income! Bus429 makes a very good point: put up with what happens at work because for those few hours they own your backside, and enjoy the time off, and enjoy spending the salary that you earned dealing with the work stuff!

Overall as pilots the salary is pretty good, the job is pretty good, the actual work isn't that hard, the time off is not bad, the hours and schedule can be pretty random, but aren't too bad, and the rest is up to you. And unlike many professions you don't have to stay late at the office very often, and you don't get people phoning you at all hours during your days off (like my girlfriend does, and she's a head mistress in a small rural primary school). We will always find something to moan about, but be aware of how picky you are being about what you moan about!

29th Jan 2010, 09:14
10 or 11 days off a month quite a bit of time off at home???
Give your head a shake my man. Flying your type of ship should have you at home about 18 to 20 days a month.

With attitudes such as yours, no wonder, we, the profession as a whole, are fighting a loosing battle.

parabellum
29th Jan 2010, 10:33
Why do EY have a cadet pilot programme then? Perhaps to lock innocent young wannabes into the A320 for 7 years after everyone else has jumped ship?

When you think about it being taken directly as a cadet and then going straight onto the A320 isn't such a bad thing, is it? Seven years - long enough for the cadet to polish up his flying, many sectors to fly, no great weather worries, as in climate changes experienced on long haul, about 5000 hours and then on to something bigger. Pretty sensible scheme I would have thought?

ratpoison
29th Jan 2010, 12:03
ULR gives me quite a bit of time at home, on average 10-11 days per month, yes sometimes its 8, but its not too often.

F**k me. :ugh:

Very true, how sad it is. :{