PDA

View Full Version : Port Douglas airstrips?.

Rich-Fine-Green
28th Jan 2010, 16:15
Help Please;

Anyone have details of an airstrip at or close to Port Douglas, Qld?.

Thanks.

Mainframe
29th Jan 2010, 00:28
Rich Fine Green,

Information provided may be out of date, no responsibility accepted for accuracy.

No strips at Port Douglas, however there is a strip at Wonga Beach, about halfway from Pt Douglas to Daintree River mouth.

You can actually see it on Google Earth, search for "Wonga Beach, Queensland", move a little NE of the town to find the strip.
(use the supplied Lat / Long to get near the 03 threshold)

There are two parallel strips, adjacent to and parallel to the coastline.

The one closest to the beach is NOT the strip, its the one closest to and again parallel to the the street of houses.

Information not current, contact owner before operations for permission and to determine suitability of aircraft for the strip.

Wonga Beach
Elev:10'
COMMUNICATIONS VHF121.2 VHF Sth 126.1 Cairns Approach

Operator:
V.G. & J.L. Scomazzon
Phone:
07 40987574
Tall trees beside strip.

Daintree River about 4km NE. Wonga township 2.5km to SW

Surface:
Sand /grass, approx 1,000mtrs
Tall trees NE Tall flying fox trap wires SW

Rwy bear
030' - 210'
Thick grass = poor acceleration on TO roll

topdrop
29th Jan 2010, 06:09
There used to be an ultralight strip just North of Port Douglas turnoff, Eastern side of highway. I don't know if it's still there, but I do know Skysafari still operate choppers from there. Try giving them a ring.

Arm out the window
29th Jan 2010, 22:22
The ultralight strip was still going strong in late 08 when I last saw it, but it's only about 1000 ft long, I think.
As you say, topdrop, Skysafari worked out of there, and GBR helicopters had a semi-permanent refuel installation (not sure if they still do).

The Wonga beach strip looks to be about 3500 ft from Google Earth, and appeared to be in good nick when I used to fly past it.

Rich-Fine-Green
30th Jan 2010, 19:56
Thanks to all.

I will give the Wonga number a call. Not going that way until Sept. so should be a bit dryer...

Arm out the window
30th Jan 2010, 23:47
Around April/May and Sept/Oct are the best times to be there, I reckon - not too hot, cyclones are gone but still good beach weather, plus stingers shouldn't be so much of a factor if you're swimming in the sea (Oct-May often quoted as stinger season, cuts out a lot of the year for just jumping into the ocean to cool off...)