PDA

View Full Version : Supplying Passport/ID Card Details - Can EU Citizens Really Refuse?

ShamRoc
28th Jan 2010, 13:46
It seems that every time I do an on line check in for a flight ino or out of the UK I have to supply Passport/ID Card details. If I do not then I will not be allowed to contine to issue of a boarding pass. It seems that once supplied the information is not stored for the next OLCI (even with the same airline!) and has to be completed every time. I find having to complete these details several times a week a nuisance! Is it the same if I auto check in at the airport?
As I understand it EC citizens may opt not to supply the required details. Is this true? What is the authority? Has any SLF refused and what have been the consequences.

apaddyinuk
28th Jan 2010, 13:56
Im not aware of any opt out clause unfortunately however the airlines will not store the information as I believe there are some Data Protection rules that they are governed under with regards the various government organisations who require the info!

But Im sure we will get a better response from someone else. Im curious too.

bizdev
28th Jan 2010, 14:10
When you book with Ryanair - and you get to the section where you input your passport details there is a small tick box asking you whether you want the info retained for your next booking.

Capetonian
28th Jan 2010, 15:18
When you book with Ryanair - and you get to the section where you input your passport details there is a small tick box asking you whether you want the info retained for your next booking.
Also with easyJet, for 100% sure, and I think with Swiss too.

PAXboy
28th Jan 2010, 18:44
Web browsers will 'form fill' for you and you. Typically, it recognises the same field from the same web site. Thus the data needs to be entered once for each airline website. The data is stored on your PC and gets pasted in by the browser.

How you set it up depends upon which browser you use. If you check-in from both a desk top and lap top, you will (probably) have to fill in the data on each. There may be a way of transferring the stored file from one installation of your browser to another but I am not aware of it, as it would blow any security of the data - if it could be copied off your machine.

EastMids
29th Jan 2010, 10:32
As I understand it EC citizens may opt not to supply the required details. Is this true? What is the authority? Has any SLF refused and what have been the consequences.

Airlines are increasingly insisting on getting this data - it may not be required legally (as far as air travel law is concerned), but if they airline's Ts&Cs say you must provide the data in order to fly, its not going to be easy to avoid doing so. Furthermore APIS (Advance Passenger Information System) where passenger data is passed from departure to arrival country prior to the flight landing - certainly affecting the US, Spain, etc already - means that this data will have to be captured more frequently in future. I've no idea about data protection issues, but if airlines are able to retain my name, address, frequent flyer and credit card numbers, I can't see why they can't keep my passport number and expiry date too.

Andy

Capetonian
29th Jan 2010, 10:45
Web browsers will 'form fill' for you and you. Typically, it recognises the same field from the same web site. Thus the data needs to be entered once for each airline website. The data is stored on your PC and gets pasted in by the browser.

This may be true, but EZY definitely store the information as when I've booked from a computer I've never used before, it asks me if I want to use the information already held, so it's not held on the browser or cookies.

davidjohnson6
29th Jan 2010, 20:34
if airlines are able to retain my name, address, frequent flyer and credit card numbers

Could always pay with cash at a travel agency's office. I suppose the bit about being labelled as a possible terrorist who needs further questioning at one or both airports because you chose not to use a credit card might be seen as a downside