PDA

View Full Version : aeroplane or airplane?

Blin
28th Jan 2010, 10:27
Which name do you choose to name Aircraft? And why?

j3pipercub
28th Jan 2010, 10:30
Similar note:

Pilot, Aviator, Pile-it, or dirty ole motor plane driver?

I know I'm the last one...

john_tullamarine
28th Jan 2010, 10:33
.. depends on whether your cultural lineage is British or American. We all know what the other fellow intends so it really doesn't matter a toss, I suggest ?

For me, aeroplane.

Peter Fanelli
28th Jan 2010, 10:49
When in rome.....

eocvictim
28th Jan 2010, 11:01
Aircraft...

NOSIGN
28th Jan 2010, 11:01
Aeroplane using the Queens.

Airplane is easier, but 'aircraft' resolves all ambiguity, however it's better said within the industry, i.e. imagine pointing up in the sky telling your children " look at that aircraft, i wish I could have a go flying that beauty " or "look at that aeroplane..." The former sounds better in general I thinks.

I'm no linguist however the word air as blended to airplane is a noun. Aero, as blended into aeroplane, is an adjective and so describes the plane component of the word aeroplane. Plane me thinks is an adjective that contributes to the dimension of the aero. So alls in alls me thinks aero fits wit plane better and more proper... given the choice between aero and air that is. :E

:8

Unhinged
28th Jan 2010, 11:23
Which name do you choose to name Aircraft?

Helicopter, of course :E

Fantome
28th Jan 2010, 11:33
Well now rotary obsessed person, get thee to a nice soft pad and give her the herbs and screw thyself well into the ground.

John T sums it up in a knut shell - whether Anglophile or Septic, it does not matter a toss.

Cunliffe
28th Jan 2010, 11:54
Helicopter is an aircraft but is not an airplane or aeroplane.

alisoncc
28th Jan 2010, 12:14
Aeroplanes are graceful creatures that fly. Whereas helicopters don't fly. They are so ugly that the earth actually repels them.

Fragnasty
28th Jan 2010, 12:28
Airplane, aircraft, aeroplane - all good.

Just so long one doesn't get lazy and revert to the moronic 'plane'.

Which pretty much includes everyone in the Australian media I guess.

Choice bro'!

Runaway Gun
28th Jan 2010, 12:35
I just hope BA Baracas gets it sorted in the new A-Team movie.

"Murdoch, I aint gettin' in no winged vehicles capable of flight, generally heavier than air and driven by jets, piston nor turboprop engines. Fool !!!"

Brian Abraham
28th Jan 2010, 12:52
Just so long one doesn't get lazy and revert to the moronic 'plane'
Bet you're not game to tell a "plane captain" that he's a moron, should you be so educated as to know what a "plane captain" is. :8 :p

History of the word "plane": The plane in which we fly is properly named for a very important element of its structure, the wing that keeps it in the air. But the story behind this name is slightly complicated. To begin with, plane in the sense of "winged vehicle," first recorded in April 1908, is a shortened form of aeroplane. In June of that year "plane" appeared in a quotation from the London Times that mentioned one of the Wright brothers. Aeroplane, first recorded in 1866, is made up of the prefix aero-, "air, aviation," and the word plane, referring to the structure designed to keep an air vehicle aloft. Originally the plane in such contexts was imagined as flat, hence the choice of the word plane; in practice this surface must curve slightly in order to work. The word aeroplane for the vehicle is first found in 1873. The first recorded appearance of the form airplane in our current sense, which uses air- instead of aero-, is found in 1907. An American flies in an airplane while a Briton still travels in an aeroplane, but both can catch a plane.

28th Jan 2010, 12:53
Aircraft = aeroplane, helicopter, gyroplane, balloon.
Airplane = aeroplane

18-Wheeler
28th Jan 2010, 12:54
Is Australia, it's very definitely aeroplane. 'Airplane' from a foreign dialect but it has unfortunately started to pollute our great Aussie one.
I also have no problem with 'plane'.

Fragnasty
28th Jan 2010, 14:18
In June of that year "plane" appeared in a quotation from the London Times

I was wrong. Looks like I need to expand things to include the global media.

Thanks for helping to prove my point.

Brian Abraham
28th Jan 2010, 14:21
Not answered the "plane captain" question so nothing proved yet. :E

Fragnasty
28th Jan 2010, 14:25
What "plane captain" question? Look again - you made a statement, as opposed to posing a question.

If only I had uber-powers.
[Click]

Brian Abraham
28th Jan 2010, 15:04
It's interesting the modern day aviators who get their knickers in a twist over the use of the word "plane" when referring to aircraft. It's a debate that raises its head with monotonous regularity and we have the righteous who claim the proper use of the word refers to a tool used in woodwork (among other meanings). Now if an august journal such as "Flight" uses the word repetitively in 1920, if not earlier (I couldn't be bothered searching back earlier), it's good enough for me have the populous et al refer to aeroplanes or aircraft as "planes".

When applied to air machines of war it increases their effectiveness and efficiency, prevents the loss of planes in combat and protects the lives of pilots.

The factors entering into the correct solution of the camouflage problem are the functions of the plane, its visibility and the psychological effect of this deception or camouflage on the human mind.

It is, therefore, necessary, that all under-surfaces of such planes be coated with some material that would be as bright as possible and would reflect back to the earth not only a large quantity of light, but also the colour of the sky.
This is an enormous advantage for aircraft operating under war conditions, as it places the pilot of the plane in a position to observe without being observed with the additional advantage that a plane can operate with a greater load if the ceiling at which it must travel can be lowered.

plane | aeronautical camouflage | camouflage | 1920 | 0979 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1920/1920%20-%200979.html)

Does "Flight" circa 1920 qualify as moronic global media Fragnasty? Or maybe a lesson in history? ;)

aileron_69
28th Jan 2010, 21:05
Whats all this talk about Airplanes and Aeroplanes? They're "Big Metal Seagulls!!!" Well most of them are anyway.

Also, why is a helicopter often referred to as a "Machine" while Aeroplanes are "Planes" when clearly they are both machines.

empacher48
28th Jan 2010, 21:10
When everything is working it is an Aeroplane..

When something isn't working it is a f***ing piece of s**t.

Critical Reynolds No
28th Jan 2010, 23:33
A plane is a type of hamburger.

The Green Goblin
29th Jan 2010, 00:53
Sweat box
Death Pencil
Death stick
Dr Killer
Partial Aviator
Gutless Cutless
Chiefscum
Navergo
Scarevan
Scarecan
Gonad
Aerosplat
Bongo
Aeroscar
Baron :p

I could go on and on!

I like aeroplane personally.

blackhand
29th Jan 2010, 01:07
The Rane in Spane falls Manely on the PLANE

BH

Fris B. Fairing
29th Jan 2010, 01:58
Here is a Plane in a Hanger

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/plane-hanger-1.jpg

HarleyD
29th Jan 2010, 02:07
Couldn't care less, life is too short, yawn.

On the other hand, journo's referring to aircrafts ( plural of aircraft) annoys me a little bit, but not that much, I'll prolly get used to it soon and not care at all.

As for planes (aero or air) it all works for me. I can recall a novel from many years past (can't remember title or author) (ha!! se that US spelling of authour) but it was about WW 1 i think, and the box-heads were referring to their planes as 'crates', or maybe they were Seppos, or Frogs. Obviously not Pommys of course they would all be flying Aeroplanes, or even Flying Machines.

While we are busy quoting references, Laurie Anderson from her work
"O Superman (For Massenet)":

here come the planes,
they're american planes,
made in America,
smoking or non-smoking.

etc

I have no idea what that song is about, but I do like it all the same. According to Wikipedia:

Anderson constructed the song as a cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_version) of the aria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria) "Ô Souverain, ô juge, ô père" (O Sovereign, O Judge, O Father) from Jules Massenet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Massenet)'s 1885 opera Le Cid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Cid_(opera)). She got the idea after listening to a recording of the aria made by African-American tenor Charles Holland (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Charles_Holland_(singer)&action=edit&redlink=1), whose career was hampered for decades by racism in the classical music world. The first lines ("O Superman / O Judge / O Mom and Dad") especially echo the original aria ("Ô Souverain / ô juge / ô père"). (Susan McClary suggests in her book Feminine Endings that Anderson is also recalling another opera by Massenet; his 1902 opera, Le jongleur de Notre-Dame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_jongleur_de_Notre-Dame). The opera is one in which the arms of the mother—the Virgin Mary—embrace/bless the dying Rodrigo. In this way, it may not have been simply a "cover" of the Le Cid aria.)
Overlaid on a sparse background of two alternating chords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(music)) formed by the repeated spoken syllable "Ha," the text of "O Superman" is spoken through a vocoder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder). A saxophone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxophone) is heard as the song fades out, and a sample of tweeting birds is subtly overlaid at various points within the track.

All of that is about as relevant to my day as the original oldie but goodie thread re air or aero, or planes.

I personally call them planes or aircraft (often spelled on my typing machine as aircarft, which I agree is completely wrong). Seppos call them airplanes as do most pommy doco makers these days and all journo's regardless of color creed or nationality. Funny thing is that I know what they mean, which is the important thing. I even know that when they refer to aircrafts they mean 'more than one aeroplane'.

A much more important question is what a package of 24 small bottles, or cans, of beer is. Is it a:

slab?

box?

carton?

suitcase?

yugo? ( refers to VB only, a Slabovic)

fridge? (carboard beer box with small 1 can size access flap cut to keep the remaining cans cold)

Let's get to the BIG questions.

HD

Hempy
29th Jan 2010, 02:46
Fris B, I'm hearing you..

Plane Captain...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2065/2274847268_c88a69df40.jpg

Mainframe
29th Jan 2010, 02:59
Fantasy Island, doesn't the dwarf announce the arrival of "The PLane! The Plane!"

Language is dynamic and evolving, aided by a diet of American TV and films (movies) Australian English is slowly being Americanised.

Some Journo's insist on calling them Cessnas, regardless of make, rather than aeroplanes.

HarleyD

A box of beer is called a slab in Victoria (an ethnic enclave within Australia)

In Queensland (Australia), a box of beer is a carton.

and a Cold Corner is the result of exchanging one warm sixpack from the carton for a cold one (if the bottle shop attendant will be in it)

PA39
29th Jan 2010, 03:28
"Flying machine"....covers a broad spectrum. I once asked an old (older than me!) aviator has he ever flown a Mustang........to which he replied, hell yeah, I've even flown the boxes they came in! He went in an air race in Oz in a P51 and came home with the blades.. green from the tree tops!!

Mach E Avelli
29th Jan 2010, 03:30
Along with aircrafts, despite the danger I love those handgliders. Does that make me a plane tragic, or just plain tragic?

HarleyD
29th Jan 2010, 03:34
Mainframe

"and a Cold Corner is the result of exchanging one warm sixpack from the carton for a cold one (if the bottle shop attendant will be in it) "

Good one, I have learned something else today, thanks

You are right about spoken and written language, it is changing and we all need to move with it as it is the common useage that determines the meaning, spelling and pronunciation, like it or not.

if things did not develop we would all still be grunting at each other and a plane would be an Urk, or a (raspberry noise), exactly as the wrights named it a hundred or so years ago.

HD

PyroTek
29th Jan 2010, 04:49
"That's a nice aeroplane"
"Do you fly planes?!"
"Come and see the aircraft at Caboolture"

... is how I see it.

Helicopter=Angry Palm Tree!

:ok::8Pyro

chainsaw
29th Jan 2010, 05:15
Pyro.....

Helicopter (can also) = mixmaster bilong Jesus Christ

According to Janes Aerospace Dictionary: airplane = Aeroplane (N.American)

PS. Does that make a mixmaster helikopter bilong misis ? :confused:

18-Wheeler
29th Jan 2010, 05:40
Language is dynamic and evolving, aided by a diet of American TV and films (movies) Australian English is slowly being Americanised.

That's the problem - People are confusing pollution with evolution. For sure the language evolves, but having it slowly replaced with another dialect is not evolution, it's vandalism.

Mach E Avelli
29th Jan 2010, 06:26
The Seppos don't always get it wrong. On their fuel trucks you see 'Flammable'. The Poms say 'Inflammable'. Fuel that won't burn, what next? We add useless extras e.g. the 'u' in 'colour' the 'me' in 'programme' the quaint spelling of 'cheque' etc. As language evolves we will see more American English and ye olde shoppe will become the store, or maybe eventually the stor.
With so many manuals and rules written the American way, airplane will win just as landing gear eventually replaced undercarriage. Better than having to learn French.

Mr.Buzzy
29th Jan 2010, 08:27
"Plane" for me:ok:

Think what you like........

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

frigatebird
29th Jan 2010, 09:56
Ah .. but I still love that word Aeroplane.. it just sounds more..DIGNIFIED..

So What we spell our words our way..

Viva Le Difference..

Bullethead
29th Jan 2010, 10:35
Mine's an airyplane, and when I'm flyin' it a scaryplane!

Regards,
BH.

Back Pressure
29th Jan 2010, 10:54
I like the German way: flugzeug

Sounds elegant, can't be mistaken for anything else, and the Yanks don't get a look in !

BP

gupta
29th Jan 2010, 10:54
Cynical Pilot

Aeroplane. I'm not a septic. I'm well known for correcting people who dare say that other horrid word near me.

Love your attitude :yuk:

i'm not a septic either, neither am I a sanctimonious walloper. Try that near me & I'm well known for correcting uptight tossers.

It's whatever you are comfortable with, within some reasonable parameters - the Joy of English, if you like.

acol
29th Jan 2010, 11:14
'Aircraft'. be careful at plural is 'aircraft', too. :ok:

HAWK21M
29th Jan 2010, 18:15
AIRCRAFT it is :)

Brian Abraham
29th Jan 2010, 22:43
landing gear eventually replaced undercarriage
And that was after it had been called a "chassis", as on the Spitfire and the selector labeled as such.

ozaggie
29th Jan 2010, 23:52
What ever ya want. I got an ol' '56 C180 I call the Ute. Does the same job. :rolleyes:
OA

gupta
30th Jan 2010, 06:04
Cynical old son, take a deep breath and a chill pill

There is right and there is wrong. Aeroplane is right, airplane is not. Just as gaol is correct and jail isn't.

You have sweetly proved my argument. Check your Macquarie Dictionary - either spelling gaol/jail is acceptable. The language is constantly evolving, but self-righteous pedants, like flat earthers, are not.

Don't dig the hole any deeper, let people call the damn thing whatever they are comfortable with.

dat581
30th Jan 2010, 07:00
You have sweetly proved my argument. Check your Macquarie Dictionary - either spelling gaol/jail is acceptable. The language is constantly evolving, but self-righteous pedants, like flat earthers, are not.

Don't dig the hole any deeper, let people call the damn thing whatever they are comfortable with.

The Macquarie Dictionary might being an Australian work but I bet the Oxford Dictionary does not!

gupta
30th Jan 2010, 07:25
I was waiting for that to be raised. I deliberately referred to the Macquarie because:

1. This is an Australian thread
2. Its about words used in Australia

John Tullamarine got it right very early on.

Tibbsy
30th Jan 2010, 11:13
Don't know why, but I've worked at a couple of places where every aircraft gets called a jet. This includes GA bugsmashers, turbo-props and helicopters.

Must be a symptom of the Big Shiny Jet syndrome:ok:

As for me:

I love AEROPLANE jelly, aeroplane jelly for me. :}

Wally Mk2
30th Jan 2010, 12:34
....da plane boss da plane!!!..........oh while yr down there tatoo:}

Wmk2:)

18-Wheeler
30th Jan 2010, 13:26
Check your Macquarie Dictionary

... which is renowned amongst the English pedants as having many errors.

We also make other common errors in Aus that go uncorrected, such as the incorrect spelling of pedophile, it is actually paedophile.
We spell maroon correctly, but for some unknown reason reason pronounce it marone, which is unique as far as I know.

One point I must make is just because a lot of people do something some particular way, does not make it correct.

Fantome
30th Jan 2010, 18:09
An earlier post mentioned the use of 'aeroplane' by the English weekly FLIGHT, later renamed FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL. The poster looked at an issue for 1920. He did not go back to the start. If you look at the editorial of the first issue of FLIGHT, that of January 2, 1909, you will see that 'aeroplane' was then the common and accepted term in use.

The various patent applications made by the Wrights in the USA and Europe referred to the design features of their 'flying machine.' It will require further delving into the archives to find when 'airplane' first crept into common usage in North America . It is a fair assumption that because most serious American researchers would have read FLIGHT and it's contemporary sister weekly THE AEROPLANE from their inception, that some years would have passed before 'aeroplane' was corrupted into 'airplane'.

The day that the Australian accent goes further down the gurgler and our
kids start calling 'Mom, mom', and persist with demands to 'listen up',
it will be too bloody late to give their collective little asses a swift kick, metaphorical or otherwise.

clark y
30th Jan 2010, 20:11
If this is our biggest problem in life, then life must be pretty good.

Next question- So what does everyone call the seven-four-seven, or is it seven-fortyseven, or even...........the jumbo.

PyroTek
31st Jan 2010, 01:54
I tend to say Seven Four Seven Four Hundred.
I also say Cessna One Seven Two - Though many places i see it spelled "Cessna One Seventy-Two" by Cessna it's self - look at control yoke and some POH's etc.

18-Wheeler
31st Jan 2010, 02:54
Seven Four Seven here.

Fantome
31st Jan 2010, 03:03
If this is our biggest problem in life, then life must be pretty good.

Perhaps a trifle callow. Respect for words, their correct use and an interest in their derivation can be a welcome respite from weightier concerns.

'The Surgeon of Crowthorne' is a brilliant tale of a genius whose legacy today is a large slice of The Oxford English Dictionary. That he took a slice from himself is . . .. well read the book.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Surgeon of Crowthorne: A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love of Words is a book by Simon Winchester first published in 1998. The American edition is called The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary, and was published the same year.
It tells the story of the making of the Oxford English Dictionary and one of its most useful early contributors, Dr. W.C. Minor, a retired United States Army surgeon. Minor was, at the time, imprisoned in the Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum, near the small town of Crowthorne in Berkshire, England. The 'professor' of the American title is presumably the chief editor of the OED during most of the project, James Murray, who had previously been a bank clerk and a schoolteacher, but never a professor.
This was Winchester's first major success as an author, after which he went on to write The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary about the broader history of the OED.

aileron_69
31st Jan 2010, 03:11
Dunno about the 747, but the 172 is a "One Seventy Twice"

Brian Abraham
31st Jan 2010, 03:14
The day that the Australian accent goes further down the gurgler and our kids start calling 'Mom, mom', and persist with demands to 'listen up'
Fantome, Won't even bother asking you what you think of the term "Dude", or worse, being called such............ hells bells, I just did. :oh:

For me, have always wondered on the etymology of the word "gear", as applied to undercarriage.

HarleyD
1st Feb 2010, 09:24
Language Change Deniers

Is it car, motor car or automobile?
Truck or Lorry?

Not seven forty seven?,, what about cessna one eighty (or is is one eight zero??)

like it or not language is fluid and IT WILL CHANGE due to accepted common useage. we do not say 'thou shalt' we now say 'you will'.

We use the US style of phonetic alphabet, though with a certain antipodean inflection and we do not tend to say SIR all the time when conversing with ATS, though it is creeping in a bit here and there with sycophantic tossers. some other phrases or terms - like 'looking' for advised traffic is useful.

The trick is to know what the other participant in the conversation - whatever it is about - means when they say something, if you know he means aeroplane when he says airplane, there is NO problem, you are no more correct that he is, that is unless you are a right royal, pedantic, pompous, arrogant self righteous it who wanders the world spouting nonsense like - methinkf thou haft not fpoken moft truefomely whence thou didft fpake in moft fullfome manner of thy aerial levitational devife, forfooth in truth it furely beist an AEROPLANE thou poltroon!!

Get off your soap box, you are not the correct one despite you own misplaced indignation. It is the understandability that is important and you prove clearly that you DO understand what they are refering to if you feel the obsessive/compulsive need to "correct" them.

Clark Y - you are spot on about the relative importance of this thread, despite how much fun it is in a fairly puerile ( or is it peurile) sort of way. However, there is a clear and inverse proportionality between the relative importance of life issues and the amount of effort contributed to them, hence the 18 wheelers of this world. People like this will sit at a meeting and allocate hundreds of thousands, sometimes millions of dollars to projects, then argue ferociously about how much should be spent on the biscuits for the tea break. If this were not so we would not have local councils and the associated WOFTAMs that they create. And also I would not be responding to these pedantic tossers when I really do have more important things to do - this is more fun though.

\HD

Tibbsy
1st Feb 2010, 11:15
Nice attempt to sneak one in there HD but I must protesteth.

I don't believe that understandability is a word, although I do understand what you mean. := You can't use the dodgy online free dictionaries as a reference for the term either; they're full of made-up seppo words.

In answer to your question, it's 'puerile' (adjective: childishly silly and trivial) from the latin puer meaning boy.

Nice rant though :D I guess you're not a humanities student then?

(Helmet on, taking cover :E)

The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand.

Lewis Thomas (1913 - 1993)

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.
Lily Tomlin (1939 - )

Brian Abraham
1st Feb 2010, 11:44
You want proper English here you go

HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!
Ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned
geong in geardum, þone God sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat,
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile; him þæs Liffrea,
wuldres Wealdend woroldare forgeaf,
Beowulf wæs breme --- blæd wide sprang---
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Swa sceal geong guma gode gewyrcean,
fromum feohgiftumon fæder bearme,

Tibbsy
1st Feb 2010, 11:51
Beowulf? Nice one Brian. :ok:

I reckon even Fantome would admit that language may have evolved a little bit over the last 10 centuries or so.

The Green Goblin
1st Feb 2010, 11:59
I think people will find that 'slang' is how a language evolves.......:}

j3pipercub
1st Feb 2010, 12:15
Dunno bout any of youse, but I want the last coupl'a hundred kila-bites back, as this is utter tripe.

j3

18-Wheeler
1st Feb 2010, 12:44
However, there is a clear and inverse proportionality between the relative importance of life issues and the amount of effort contributed to them, hence the 18 wheelers of this world. People like this will sit at a meeting and allocate hundreds of thousands, sometimes millions of dollars to projects, then argue ferociously about how much should be spent on the biscuits for the tea break.

Complete ignorant bullsht.

And more on the pollution of the language, another of my pet hates is the use of 'guard' instead of 121.5.
There is simply no such thing as 'guard'.

Fantome
1st Feb 2010, 22:24
That may be, dear J3, but one man's tripe can be, another's offal offertory.

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2010, 02:14
There is simply no such thing as 'guard'.
Well, we're all here to learn. There is, and in most military cockpits (US at least) you will find a switch on the com panel with a "guard" position. The etymology I understand comes from when the US Coast Guard was given responsibility for search and rescue of shipping.

18-Wheeler
2nd Feb 2010, 03:18
AFAIK it stems from the requirement for some military and Coast Guard serviced to 'guard' 121.5, not an actual switch position as such.
And there is no mention of it in any Australian CAO, etc either so why is it used here?

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2010, 04:29
to 'guard' 121.5, not an actual switch position as such.
Quote from a flight manual,

With the switch at T/R + G REC, the radio operates on the selected frequency in addition to monitoring guard frequency.

Whilst these are UHF, VHF was set up likewise.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/r0002.jpghttp://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/r0001.jpg

frigatebird
2nd Feb 2010, 05:02
Must be all 'hush hush' military stuff then. I always thought that 'Guard ' was just another 'Americanism' that had crept into our civil usage. Thought it was the 'chatter' frequency at one stage, like 'The Numbers'.
We only needed to monitor three frquencies, - the current VHF being worked, monitoring 121.5 if anyone was in trouble or if a beacon (ship or aircraft) was going off, and the current H.F., although the bigger aircraft had Selcal so that helped keep the traffic down on H.F. It was only later on domestic flights that people rabbiting on with trivia on Company or 123.45 got to be wearing for this guy.

18-Wheeler
2nd Feb 2010, 05:17
Ta, Brian.

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2010, 12:19
Must be all 'hush hush' military stuff then
Nope, standard fit whether it be trainer, helicopter, transport, fighter, etc. SR-71 even.

Fantome
4th Feb 2010, 09:13
I reckon even Fantome would admit that language may have evolved a little bit over the last 10 centuries

That he would, and does. While his Saxon progenitors' text of Beowulf appears today entirely a strange and foreign tongue, progressively, high masters of prose and verse, as language evolved,
became increasingly severe and disciplined applying clear expression to the crafting of their finest works. Most digression, for instance, they'd strike out as sloppy waffle of little or no relevance. Off topic they rarely were.

Thread drift only happened at frayed hems.

HarleyD
5th Feb 2010, 00:59
This thread is fun I must say. The responses or heavily opined and as such cannot really be wrong no matter how much they gainsay each other. I wish that some here would at least acknowledge that there are other possiblities in common useage than those they were indoctrinated with during their formative years ( at some very severe boarding schools I would assume).

Hood or bonnet?? (applicable to a car or a ladies head dress)

Boot or trunk?

rear view mirror or rear vision mirror?

railway station or train station?

Rubbish bin or trash can?

step up to the crease or step up to the plate?

to take this thread seriously or engage in enlightened discussion?

Understandability is a seppification, and one I use, however I admit that I was stunned by a reference to ''Securitization" of a military establishment recently.

I like making up my own words along the lines of Jebediah Sprinfield's quote:

That a people might embiggen America,
that a man might embiggen his soul.

I refer to smallification of items due to technology etc.. most people do not notice these deliberate bastardizations, though I do not doubt that there would be great wailing and beating of breasts followed by rending of garments and gnashing of teeth if some who post here were within earshot.

I personally call it 'the money maker' or a plane or sometimes even an aeroplane, never an airplane, cos that's not me, but I do allow that some people do call them airplanes, and I know what they mean when they use such blasphemous wordage.

I also know what deeners and zacks are and am proud of our aussie way of butchering a language to suit our needs. The 'pommification'of the DAH3 is a defensible useage I believe, as is maggot bag, dog's eye and dead horse. Not exactly the queens english, but never mind, we will be a Republic soon enough.

HD (previously BSA and AJS rider, but I move with the times)

Fantome
5th Feb 2010, 01:22
Zack - sixpence, a deener - a shilling or a bob, that wasn't bastardising of our slanguage. No character or quality was lowered or in any sense debased.
If anything enhanced. And if you'd been the agent who said to the bloke who tried to buy a ticket at the check in counter 'Sorry ocker, the Fokker's chocker', the finer points of language use wouldn't have entered into it.

But your references to 'poseur' and 'arrogance' are offensive, and contrary to the terms of agreement.

18-Wheeler
5th Feb 2010, 01:57
Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful - Poster reported.

blackhand
5th Feb 2010, 03:44
From The PM of Australia

programmatic specificity
conceptually synthesise
natural complementarity
jobs consequence
Now we must cut our cloth to make sure it fits and that applies to the totality of the budget."
I'll reverse engineer and start at the third and move back to the first
By immediate, I mean immediate. Immediate means now. It's ready to go now.’”
fair shake of the sauce bottle

So make up your own Ingrish

BH

18-Wheeler
5th Feb 2010, 03:47
*edit - thank you Mods, Bill S.

blackhand
5th Feb 2010, 04:05
Harley D

I was considering a job change in California, tempted by Roto Rooter advertisment sent by my brother, until I found that rooter had a different meaning stateside :}

BH

Brian Abraham
5th Feb 2010, 08:12
blackhand, try visiting the US as a callow youth and innocently asking the girl behind the counter in the stationary section of the on base PX for a rubber (eraser in the US - rubber was an, ahem).

Centaurus
5th Feb 2010, 12:50
Is a Hairyplane a dangerous aeroplane?

alisoncc
5th Feb 2010, 17:33
We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.
You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice
Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
If I speak of my foot and show you my feet
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth
Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that, and three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural would never be hose
And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.
We speak of a brother and also of brethren
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him
But imagine the feminine: she, shis and shim!

Let's face it English is a crazy language.
There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger:
Neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England.
We take English for granted, but if we explore its paradoxes,
We find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square,
And a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing,
Grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?
Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, What do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
We ship by truck but send cargo by ship
We have noses that run and feet that smell.
We park in a driveway and drive in a parkway.

And how can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,
While a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language
In which your house can burn up as it burns down.
In which you fill in a form by filling it out, and
In which an alarm goes off by going on.
And in closing, if Father is Pop, how come Mother is not Mop?

frigatebird
5th Feb 2010, 23:11
...:D....:D...:D...

blackhand
6th Feb 2010, 03:14
Brian Abraham

(eraser in the US - rubber was an, ahem).

And asking for Durex in the UK doesn't get you sticky tape but the same, Ahem.

BH

ozaggie
6th Feb 2010, 04:52
Bravo AlisonCC, Bravo

clark y
7th Feb 2010, 04:24
I'd have to agree with others that this thread is a great respite from weighter issues and I too am finding it enjoyable in a puerile way. Personally I don't care if it is airplane, aeroplane whatever. I just want to know how to spell thronomister, or is it thronomeister?

Clark y.