PDA

View Full Version : Barrier Aviation

DaisyDuck
28th Jan 2010, 09:51
Have heard on the vine that Barrier in Cairns are now without a CFI, and have temporarily ceased flying school ops.

Anyone got any further info on this one?

Unhinged
28th Jan 2010, 11:20
Funnily enough I had a call from one of their ex-students last week, wanting to know if I could help him complete his training. Same story as you've said. Can't vouch for it though ...

beaver_rotate
28th Jan 2010, 13:04
RB given it up? Sadly, I must say it is for the best. Patience was a virtue he was beginning to lose. Best wishes for him but.

down3gr33ns
28th Jan 2010, 21:38
A CNS local confirmed RB's departure to me and that he was allegedly seen up in the Torres Straits with West Wing. He's not the only one from Barrier to recently make the move to West Wing, especially into their Torres operation - they must be offering an attractive deal.

He (local) doesn't know the status of their (Barrier) training operation.

cosmo21
28th Jan 2010, 23:57
True, I enjoyed my time there. Seemed like the Drivers were all happy enough.

zac21
29th Jan 2010, 02:21
I'm surprised RB stayed as long as he did, anyone in the know would understand why.

DaisyDuck
29th Jan 2010, 03:19
Does anyone know if there is a replacement for RB waiting in the wings or is Barrier advertising for a CFI?? Their students must be wondering that too I guess...

Perhaps you can put your hand up U/H??

down3gr33ns
29th Jan 2010, 03:31
Seemed like the Drivers were all happy enough.

Was that in CNS or HID? Word is that several left with no jobs to go to such was some of the rubbish they had to put up with.

Unhinged
29th Jan 2010, 03:59
Thanks Daisy ...... It's true that I need to get warm again, but I'd rather avoid the hot seat :ooh:

LUCKY-1
29th Jan 2010, 05:59
The CNS ops has given many drivers opportunities that they struggled to get elsewhere. Flew with Rob and like all the Staff there he was very experienced very Professional and relaxed to fly with. Luckster.

Car RAMROD
29th Jan 2010, 10:20
Nice bolding there Lucky.

Assume (yes i know it makes an ASS out of U and ME) then that the HID boys havn't been given the opportunities, such as progression to a better role in CNS?

down3gr33ns
29th Jan 2010, 11:18
Hmmm, had also heard that the HID boys were being held back, despite promises of a gig in CNS after a suitable period in hell (oops, HID) but CNS continued to employ newbies whilst the HID fellows languished. GA promises, not worth a pinch of the proverbial. Seems DK doesn't want to keep hardworking and loyal employees who would stay longer if there was suitable progression - must be a divide and rule complex which = lousy personnel management.

wasathangi
30th Jan 2010, 22:51
Nothing has changed.

The old HID to CNS issue is nothing new. This has been going on for years!! Ever felt that the company keeps moving the goal posts?...Hmmmm WELCOME TO GA :ugh::ugh::ugh:.

Wasa

down3gr33ns
31st Jan 2010, 20:51
GA is a hard ride, imagine how hard it is for an organisation such a Barrier to keep the business viable through hard financial times and high pilot turn over.

Point 1: Not hard to remain viable with an operation in the Torres given the amount of government money still available despite the GFC. Things hardly faltered during even the worst of it. WestWing started their operation there in that period which seems to indicate things remained bouyant there throughout the downturn as a result of the extensive taxpayer support that exists in that region.

Point 2: And whose fault is that if the turnover is high? Would indicate that the management of their staff leaves much to be desired. I've too worked in a GA operation but there, because there were such things as regular rosters, progression onto better types and into the better bases etc etc, pilot turnover was minimal. It's pretty simple, if your staff are happy then they will go that extra mile for you - and that benefits everyone. If they're not happy, they leave - and that costs.

Incidentally, JC, were you CNS or HID?

Josh Cox
31st Jan 2010, 21:11
Down3,

I am guessing you have an axe to grind, good luck with that.

To clarify a couple of points, and I will not post further in response to your posts as it would appear you have an agenda, good luck with that also.

Casual at YBCS, most work was in Torres for School Holidays, 5 years ago.

1). New operator in the Torres ( good luck to them ), with how many new aircraft ?, how many did Troppos take out when they shut ?. Less aircraft now ?.

2). High Staff turn over, recruiting from above.

I have been through a few cycles in Aviation ( highs and lows ) and see new guys making asses of themselves on topics such as this, this site is not as anonymous as you think, many CPs troll these pages and get a picture on who many are, can effect employment prospects.

If your axe is from a competing business prospective, remember these pilots may share a bigger cockpit with you one day and they may be wearing the four stripes.

These operators you trash after leaving are the same operators that QF will ring for a reference.

Down3, most of these points may not be applicable to you directly, but I hope you can see my point.

slice
31st Jan 2010, 21:30
Sue for libel!!! Ahahahahaha - almost all the people Barrier employ don't have a pot to p!ss in or a window to throw it out of. Watch out guys you could lose that 1982 Datsun 180B. Princess Josh is weally weally going to sue you in the big bad court if you don't stop saying nasty wasty things.:rolleyes:

Barrier is no different from any other utterly disorganised GA company across northern Australia. Any company that has 'hard finiancial times' and 'high pilot turnover' simultaneously has internal problems that either get resolved or disappear up their own arsehole.:8

The number of people told "You will never work in aviation in Australia again" and who are now in Qantas, VB, Jetstar would be in the thousands.:}

Josh Cox
31st Jan 2010, 22:57
Wow Slice, I am underwhelmed by your input to this topic, you will note I post using my real name whilst you wish to "hide" behind a pseudonym and use intimidation, very manly indeed.

I won't be sueing anyone, presently not working in the industry and have no vested interest in any company mentioned here.

Furthermore, if you disbelieve my opinion, you'll notice the offending post has been removed, good bye.

down3gr33ns
31st Jan 2010, 23:38
No, JC, no axe to grind, never worked for them nor have any competing business interests. I have no agenda but relish the opportunity to debate things rationally and factually.

I was responding to your two points with some reality as it exists in that sphere and how that reality was at odds to your statements.

It's your choice to withdraw, a pity if you have something worthwhile to contribute.

slice
31st Jan 2010, 23:56
intimidation ??

Where in my previous post is any intimidation ??

YOU were the one making a lame attempt at intimidation with the this site is not as anonymous as you think and remember these pilots may share a bigger cockpit with you one day and they may be wearing the four stripes.

Anonymity is part and parcel of most forums and with good reason. 99.9% of posters here (and on other public forums) use pseudonyms. So what ?? I don't use it to hide as such as personally there is no post I have made that I wouldn't want to have my name next to. Those who bleat 'coward', 'hiding behind a pseudonym' usually are just annoyed that a light is being shone in a corner of an operation that they don't want the wider aviation community to see.

Josh Cox
1st Feb 2010, 00:21
Well put your name to it, on your very next post.

zac21
1st Feb 2010, 05:39
JC / LHRT, or whatever you call yourself today,

May I suggest to you that I CAN prove what I have "rumoured", and everyone else here seems to know what has happened in the past as well.

Quote:
((I have been through a few cycles in Aviation ( highs and lows ) and see new guys making asses of themselves on topics such as this site is not as anonymous as you think, many CPs troll these pages and get a picture on who many are, can effect employment prospects.))
Unquote:
Get a life !!!!

If you are as you say, "presently not working in the industry and have no vested interest in any company mentioned here.",, Then shut up and mind your own business !!!!!

And could I also suggest that you are a Total clown !.

Josh Cox
1st Feb 2010, 06:07
Well Zac21 / GL or whatever you call yourself today.

Rumour has it you have worked for said operator, what 8 weeks ?, that would be a record for you ?.

And could I also suggest that you are a Total clown !.

As I know you, it means absolutely nothing, thanks, I needed a good laugh. You should have sent it to me in an email so I could have ignored it at my leisure.

Grey hair, a beard, bad attitude and booze breath does not give you credibility in my opinion.

I look forward to your retort, so I can ignore it.