PDA

View Full Version : R44 Crash NSW Australia 28th Jan 2010

rotaryman
28th Jan 2010, 06:48
Three survive chopper crash From: AAP January 28, 2010 4:50PM. THREE men have survived a helicopter crash in northern NSW, the state's ambulance service says.
An ambulance helicopter was called to a remote area of Woodenbong, south of the Queensland border, about 2.30pm (AEDT) following reports another chopper had crashed there.

Three men in their 30s and 40s were found on top of a ridge in Mount Barney National Park, north of Woodenbong.

They were uninjured, but after being winched from the crash site, were transported to Woodenbong to speak with police.

From News.com.au

nowing
28th Jan 2010, 06:56
Footage on the news shows the machine perched on a thin spine with steep drops either side. Very lucky people, they should buy a lottery ticket.

blakmax
28th Jan 2010, 08:18
Crikey Nowing! What a waste of money. These guys used up ALL their luck in one day.

blakmax

gulliBell
28th Jan 2010, 08:19
Chopperline has confirmed it was one of their helicopters...I guess they were doing training, pinnacle landings by the sound of it.

Ag-Rotor
28th Jan 2010, 11:47
How much luck can 3 dudes have in one day ?? :O

MartinCh
28th Jan 2010, 21:20
Getting laid the same day, after couple pints of beer, talking it all through.

Anyway, good that nobody injured.
Australian way, uh? Pinnacle landing trained 'in real world'. Helipads or platforms won't do.

Wasn't it more of a hard landing, if it was so tight spot but they all OK?
But then, if they can't fly away due to airframe damage, blimey, that'd be costly 'removal' bill.
Can't find pictures on the news com au. Anyone?

trackdirect
28th Jan 2010, 21:30
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx298/rockingmstud/crash.jpg

gulliBell
28th Jan 2010, 23:19
MartinCH, I think it's safe to say that that helicopter will not be flying away from where it ended up. Not under it's own power anyway, more likely under something slightly bigger.

p.s. the removal bill will probably be much less than the repair bill :oh:

roy86
29th Jan 2010, 05:29
Training with three people on board?

Unhinged
29th Jan 2010, 06:30
No problem with having pax on a training flight, as long as the student has at least a GFPT and you aren't overweight or practicing emergency procedures.

John Eacott
29th Jan 2010, 06:47
Two students and an instructor: Melbourne Herald-Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/three-safe-as-chopper-crashes-on-cliff/story-e6frf7l6-1225824502280)

Three safe as chopper crashes on cliff

Greg Stolz
January 29, 2010 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/01/28/1225824/504188-helicopter-crash.jpg
Th pilot managed to put this helicopter down just near a 550m drop. Picture: Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Source: Herald Sun

THREE men have miraculously walked away from a dramatic mountain-top crash-landing in a helicopter owned by former champion ironman Grant Kenny.

The Curry Kenny Aviation chopper, with an instructor and two student pilots on board, crashed onto a narrow ridge in the Mt Barney National Park in northern NSW just after 1pm on Thursday.
Rescuers said the Robinson 44 helicopter would have plunged down a 550m cliff had the pilot not managed to put the aircraft down where he did.
"They are very, very lucky," said Westpac rescue pilot Martin Hanna. "The pilot probably saw that little bit of rock and knew that if they didn't land there, they were in trouble. A few more metres to the north and they'd have gone about 1800ft straight down a vertical cliff."
Mr Hanna said the helicopter crashed on to the ridge on its right side.
"Fortunately, they had a mobile phone on board and were able to call in where they were straight away," he said.
The rescue helicopter lowered a doctor and paramedic on to the ridge and then winched the three, in their 30s and 40s, to safety.
"It looked quite spectacular but was a fairly straightforward rescue," Mr Hanna said.
The student pilots were believed to be from the Royal Oman Police Force and were training with Curry Kenny Aviation subsidiary Chopperline, based at Caloundra.
They and the instructor were not injured and were taken to Woodenbong, near Kyogle, to speak to police.
A spokesman for Mr Kenny said the three men were on a mountain training drill when the accident happened.
"They were practising on top of the cliff and may have been hovering only about a metre above it," he said. "Fortunately, no one was hurt."
The spokesman said Mr Kenny would not comment on what may have caused the crash, because it was being investigated by authorities.
It's believed there were storms in the area.
The slightly damaged helicopter was being winched off its crash pad by a larger chopper, the spokesman said.

gulliBell
29th Jan 2010, 07:46
I would be most surprised if it were the case, as reported in the story there, that a helicopter which has rolled over and sustained a sudden stoppage such as this, could be considered as "slightly damaged" :oh:

Flyting
29th Jan 2010, 08:20
I think Mr Hanna's deductions of the causes of the accident are right up the alley with most of the PRUNERS who give their expert opinions on all the accidents around the globe.... :} :ugh:

:D:D:D

Sir Richard
29th Jan 2010, 08:23
Like the QF 744 in BKK...."slightly damaged"

Unhinged
29th Jan 2010, 08:26
In an irresistible statement of the blindingly obvious, I suspect that the rock they landed on might now be considered "slightly damaged". The helicopter is clearly not in the same category.

Dynamic Component
29th Jan 2010, 12:24
What would they use to sling the 44? Any lamas around that area?

Gas Producer
29th Jan 2010, 20:11
From Flyting:

I think Mr Hanna's deductions of the causes of the accident are right up the alley with most of the PRUNERS who give their expert opinions on all the accidents around the globe....

Just to clarify... you're critical of Mr Hanna's observations?

May I ask why?

GP :}

Flyting
30th Jan 2010, 08:43
My comment is directed at Mr Hanna's poor comment... not the accident

I'm guessing this is a mountain training exercise gone wrongthree men were on a mountain training drill when the accident happened most probably trying to do pinnacle landings (or something along those lines) and looking at the wreckage and the lack of too much damage, I'd have another guess and say it was probably a hooked skid on a rock and a susequent roll over, or an mechanical problem while in the hover, or a lack of power while in the hover...
"They were practising on top of the cliff and may have been hovering only about a metre above it,"
Mr Hanna said:"The pilot probably saw that little bit of rock and knew that if they didn't land there, they were in trouble. A few more metres to the north and they'd have gone about 1800ft straight down a vertical cliff."
The pilot didn't specifically choose that little bit of rock to make his/her "emergeny landing".... that's what you do in an autorotation... not in the hover... When something goes wrong when you're in that position it all happens in a matter of a second. He chose that piece of rock poorly as a training LZ in the mountains and got bitten. Seen it all before and had the machine slung out as well and it all looks much the same...

But hey.... I could be wrong... and thats why I hesitate to comment on accidents on PPRUNE...
and if I am, I appogise to all concerned... :\:\:\ :ouch:

spinwing
30th Jan 2010, 09:50
Mmmmm ...

Flyting ....

... But hey.... I could be wrong... and thats why I hesitate to comment on accidents on PPRuNe...

But you did'nt hesitate to comment did you?

And at least Capt. Hanna has been to the scene and most likely talked to the rescued .....

;)