PDA

View Full Version : Sending demo website by email

Senior Paper Monitor
27th Jan 2010, 11:48
New website for my employer ready to go !

Published locally works fine.

Not allowed to put on public server until approved by compliance (financial services).

Have index html / html folder / assets folder (as normal) and want to send to compliance as email attachment.

Have tried all ways I can think of to send (the three files/folders within master folder so that they share a root) as email attachment but Outlook simply attachs the index and nothing else - of course if I attach the actual files from each folder separately they loose the common root and wont be located.

I can send as CD (which works fine) but that will add a day or so to approval process (for which I will be beaten).

Any suggestions welcome (I assume I am doing something stupid - never had to send an unpublished site as an operating site in this way before)

Saab Dastard
27th Jan 2010, 11:58
Have you tried Winzip? That can preserve the directory / folder structure.

There are a number of free file-hosting websites that you can upload your stuff do and send someone the URL to the files for them to download.

SD

Senior Paper Monitor
27th Jan 2010, 12:07
Just tried Media Fire and it won't take the folder structure either - the downloader will never be able to reassemble the individual files into the correct structure.

Will have a play with Winzip (rarely use it these days) - and report back.

Just checked FAQ on Media Fire and they confirm that 'folder structures' cannot be downloaded due to current browser limitations

mad_jock
27th Jan 2010, 12:39
As you have already got them up and running on a web server why don't you just send them a link to the server? Publish the pages and put a password on them to view them. Send link and password.

From my experences dealing with the legal types they either won't be able to extract the files or they will try editing them and srew any scripts up that you have. Which will then mean the others won't work and they send the whole lot back to you saying its knackard.

If your web server is on a linux machine type "man tar" and that will do the trick no problems.

BOAC
27th Jan 2010, 12:44
SPM - CD iso or new (non-public) folder on server?

Senior Paper Monitor
27th Jan 2010, 12:52
The server URL is on divert to a holding site (I don't want to take this down) - I am just looking to see if I can add an extension behind that and put site up there.

Also just downloading Winzip to see if that solves the problem (having checked that compliance can reopen!)

Thanks

airborne_artist
27th Jan 2010, 12:54
Put them behind a password-protected page on your holding site.

mad_jock
27th Jan 2010, 13:24
Don't use the URL use an IP address style webaddress then you don't have to worry about what you have already sorted out.

Password and jobs a goodun.

Senior Paper Monitor
27th Jan 2010, 17:47
OK - done.

Went the hosting site route - easy and everybody happy.

Thanks a lot :ok: