PDA

View Full Version : Merged: virgin recruitment

donkey punch
27th Jan 2010, 00:55
is it possible to commute from brisbane or coolangatta for a sydney base?

KRUSTY 34
27th Jan 2010, 00:57
Anything's possible with enough time and money!:rolleyes:

donkey punch
27th Jan 2010, 01:02
just wondering if guys are doing it

forgetabowdit
27th Jan 2010, 01:16
Yep, plenty are - from both ports... Whether they enjoy it or not is another thing, especially when it comes to day trips or reserve etc, but to answer your question, there are a handfull of Capt's and a couple of FO's that do it.

Incidentally, BNE has a Perth commuter and I have heard MEL has a BROOME commuter!

FORGETABOWDIT!!!

donkey punch
27th Jan 2010, 01:33
would u actually get twelve days off in 28 which are not reserve days?

ad-astra
27th Jan 2010, 02:00
First roster under the new EBA/rules gave me 18 days off in 28!

An average of 14 days of in 28 is what I have been getting for the last 12 months. Two FO's I had been flying with in the last week indicated they had 16 days off.

Take the good with the bad though!

slice
27th Jan 2010, 02:02
Don't forget a couple of CNS and a TSV to BN, at least 1 AD to BN, several BN to ML, a few AD to ML.

PM me if you want details about reserve, days off, and rosters in VB.

SilverSleuth
27th Jan 2010, 03:28
I wouldn't be expecting 18 days off on an average all. The average is 12 off every 28. Very short Fos so they will be working harder and harder over the next 18 months. Syd base has more day trips then any other base and is by easily the hardest to commute from. I do not know one person who does it that says it is easy or enjoyable. On average those commuting spend at least $10k a year in commute travel cost etc. Plus any new commands will for certainly be SYd and PER etc. BNE commands wouldn't happen for any new pilot joining now for 10 years or more at min.

ad-astra
27th Jan 2010, 04:17
SS I think thats a pretty good wrap on commuting - not a long term option for many.
The dynamics and rostering practises may change a bit over the next 12 months as the current rumour is 100 new FO's this year.
I take that to mean a good number of commands as well so all in all I would think the rosters of our current FO's this year should have significant numbers of days off to allow for the new FO's to be trained and to allow the RHS Training Captains to do their jobs for the Command upgrades.

Goat Whisperer
27th Jan 2010, 04:46
There should be some EJet FO jobs in Brisbane come up in the not too distant future, commuting may not be required for long.

Dubya
27th Jan 2010, 04:48
I've been commuting for over 6 years from Adel to all the VB bases...now having command in Syd...

Commuting is hard work on yourself and your family/partner...but it can be done cheaply.

personally, commuting costs me accom in syd ($360/month) and airfares ($312/month)...
by having share accom with other commuters, you can have the comforts of home (for as little as $90/week) and that makes the reserve days bearable...but then again, reserves are given in a monthly bang, and you're generally flying your ass off......

personally, I wouldn't commute..it's a horse's arse....just sell up and live in the base....it's much easier on you and your family....

only my 2c worth....

madrace
27th Jan 2010, 06:40
This may be off topic but I'll give it a go as the thread name suggests..

I have an interview coming up..any ideas and tips floating around??? Would be good to hear from someone who's done in this year..thanks!!

ga_trojan
27th Jan 2010, 22:57
Days off depend really on what you bid for and how you bid, so if someone says they only average the minimum days off that will be because they bid a particular way. If you're prepared to work hard you can average 13+ days off a month.

If you want to play the commuting game you would be better off applying to V Oz it is possible on short haul but hard work. You'd have a much better lifestyle if you lived where you're domiciled.

F111
1st Feb 2010, 09:47
Those on hold from last year have been given start dates and they are calling people at the moment for interviews.

HappyBandit
5th Feb 2010, 05:40
Right so i thought i might ask the question which is directly related to the topic...anyone know if vb are actively recruiting...there were rumours but seems awfuly quiet. They looking for high exp drivers first?

Mr. Hat
5th Feb 2010, 06:08
Happy from what I hear they take all sorts of different experience levels from piston twin skippers to jet skippers. Spreads out retirement ages I suppose.

Hell if you can't shut down the regionals with the ejet, do it by taking all their pilots. God knows they could be f...d argueing over some crap eba deal...seeya.

Warped Wings
5th Feb 2010, 09:51
Interviews started about a month ago.

yowieII
5th Feb 2010, 12:12
A lot of 73 guys, both seats, took Ejet commands in Perth so they didnt have commute from BNE, SYD, MEL, so that should paint a pretty good pic on commuting:hmm: I am not sure that exp or quals matters to the people dept, but its their trainset:confused:

Mecarsa Bitrusty
13th Feb 2010, 22:28
Would anyone care to share any info on the latest VB interview process, Questions, sim profile etc.

PM me if you like

Cheers :ok:

inandout
14th Feb 2010, 00:09
What are their bases and can some explain the requirements for the different pay levels for FO, thanks

Chuck_YeagerBomb
14th Feb 2010, 00:52
Has anybody been called, or know of anyone being called in for an interview recently without an ATPL, just CPL and ATPL subjects?

Cheers

Aussie Freight Dog
14th Feb 2010, 04:36
inandout

The 737 Bases are Bne, Syd and Mel. The Ejet bases are Bne, Syd, Mel and Per.

A level 1 FO holds an Australian CPL with current passes in all academic examinations for the issue of an ATPL.

A level 2 FO holds an ATPL and 2500 hours total flying experience and 500 hours on jet transport aircraft currently operated by VB or jet transport aircraft which have a MTOW greater than 50000Kg.

A level 3 FO holds an ATPL and 4000 hours total flying experience and 2000 hours on jet transport aircraft currently operated by VB or jet transport aircraft which have a MTOW greater than 50000Kg or

A combination of more than 2000 hours on jet transport aircraft currently operated by VB or jet transport aircraft which have a MTOW greater than 50000 Kg (as well as the 4000 hours total experience).

inandout
14th Feb 2010, 05:54
AFD, thanks. When you say Total Flying experience I assume Co-Pilot time is taken as half for that calulation.

inandout
16th Feb 2010, 00:09
any takers on this .

grrowler
16th Feb 2010, 02:26
It's total flying hours, afaik you don't halve co-pilot time. When you look at the effect on your take home pay, does it really help you decide whether you want to work for the company or not?

Aussie Freight Dog
16th Feb 2010, 05:02
Dont know for sure but would agree with grrowler that I dont think it is halved.

Mr snuffaluffagus
26th Feb 2010, 05:56
Anyone out there interviewed Jan / Feb got a start date yet?

Pandanus
28th Feb 2010, 09:45
Someone's word on the street has it that new blood is already hard at work in the box working on endorsement training.

havick
1st Mar 2010, 04:21
Hi there, I'm a helicopter driver by trade so forgive me if this sounds a little dumb.

Do the 737 driver get paid more than the E-Jet drivers? If so, what's the reasoning behind the different pay levels?

It was just a curious question that came up in the crewroom at our EMS base the other day that noone had the answer to.

Cheers..

The Green Goblin
1st Mar 2010, 04:34
Apparently size matters

The 777 is the biggest and they have the lowest paid crew.

So in VB logic the 737 is the shortest, but pays the best :} (the E190 is 3m longer than a 737)

GAFA
1st Mar 2010, 09:58
Almost correct, the 190 is longer than the 700 but shorter than the 800.

senshi
1st Mar 2010, 11:32
Someone's word on the street has it that new blood is already hard at work in the box working on endorsement training.

Some that were interviewed late last year have already finished the endo! Expensive little sticky label..

S

ozblackbox
9th Mar 2010, 21:46
Any updates/truth on a possible recruitment drive coming up?

I've heard rumours of 100 drivers this year - not sure how many they've taken already.

hardNfast
9th Mar 2010, 22:21
At virgin do you pay for your endo or are you bonded?

And whats the trainging salary your on, and for how long approximatly?

GAFA
10th Mar 2010, 00:32
I believe the choices are pay for it up front or salary sacrifice it over 12 or 24 months. Most pilots I’ve spoken to have taken the 24 month option.

hardNfast
10th Mar 2010, 00:57
How much would you be looking at to do it through virgin?? Same price as doing it somewhere else?

GAFA
10th Mar 2010, 01:08
EBA currently states $30k for both types. With the E-jet you really don't have much of a choice as the only sim in the region is Virgin Blue's.

Dehavillanddriver
10th Mar 2010, 08:41
30k for the ejet is cheap - the rack rate for an endorsement offshore is around 50000 Euro..

Snatch
11th Mar 2010, 01:57
Can someone explain to me how the Blue Star thing works?

Once you are DJ crew, can you "blue star" multiple people or only one at a time?

...or only one ever?

And finally, at what stage does the "Blue Star" count?

Yours in abject confusion, etc.

Mr. Hat
11th Mar 2010, 22:27
The 30k hasn't changed in 10 years...house prices sure have. Its not a bad deal considering you get just under half back in tax. Do your maths don't be fooled by wives tales. Waiting for incoming - but couldn't care less been here long enough.

No idea bout the blue star sorry.

Mr snuffaluffagus
15th Mar 2010, 23:38
Anyone know how long between reference check & job offer at the moment (assuming the referenece checks didn't blow you out of the water)?

GAFA
15th Mar 2010, 23:52
I believe it's taking 6- 8 weeks after ref checks before people are getting the job offer.

ihaveaplanVB
6th Apr 2010, 09:46
Hi Everyone,
I posted in the wannabees thread about this but i though i'm best going to the recruitment thread for the further questions. I asked if Virgin Hires there own ground crew in BNE Domestic because I am really interested in getting into this role when I finish school Guest Services Check-in etc to be exact. I got a reply saying that most of the recruitment is done through Westaff... are they just a recruitment company or are they another company which is subcontracted to DJ???

the Key word, however, in that sentence was most... Does that mean it's possible to go straight into Virgin Blue as the company in a ground crew position??? (BNE exactly) And if that is the case will they advertise the job on their careers website???

Any answers are greatly appreciated

Thanks Heaps

ihaveaplanVB

palmdeira
6th Apr 2010, 16:33
Does anyone have experience on guys being hired on the basis of a foreign ATPL, which they then obviously convert in the conventional sense.
I would be in that pot, but wonder if it's even worth applying without the CASA ATPL???
thanks
pd

Duck Pilot
12th Apr 2010, 21:19
As asked before does, anyone have any info on the current assessment process and the sim assessment, ie nature of questions and the type of sim exercise to expect ? Any help would be of great assistance.

In regard to the Aussie ATPL based on overseas recognition, I'm under the impression that they prefer applicants to have done all the Aussie exams, or the JAR exams, over not having taken the easy road of doing it in the US, although I could be wrong.

PLovett
12th Apr 2010, 21:56
DP, I believe the sim assessment is a hand flying exercise, no FD, no AT, that involves intercepting an outbound heading, sector entry into a holding pattern and then an ILS.

Do not take this as gospel though. My information was based on a recent conversation with a guy who was just about to do one. Candidates are given the exercise in advance.

Sorry, I can't help you with the rest of your questions though.

The Bunglerat
13th Apr 2010, 03:01
A few guys went Stateside in the early days to do a quickie FAA ATP, then back home for the conversion, thus circumventing the requirement to do the seven Aussie exams. These days however, unless someone is willing to correct me, they'll want to see those seven exam passes or else. No shortcuts.

As for the sim exercise: basic handling (no Flight Director), takeoff, straight & level, rate-1 turns, climbing/descending turns, sector entry, approach & landing, etc (although landing not assessed if you haven't flown jets). In other words, the usual stuff. If you haven't flown a jet before, don't sweat it, just as long as your scans are up to speed. They don't expect you to be Superman, but they will be looking for an ability to recognise/correct errors and show steady improvement through the exercise.

Mr snuffaluffagus
17th Apr 2010, 01:11
Success!! :ok:

DC323
19th Jun 2010, 08:13
In regards to having a foreign ATPL and converting to an Aus ATPL, I have an ATPL from the CAAC and currently fly the 737NG and have a fair amount of flight time on it. I am however wanting to return home to the family in Oz but reluctant to leave my position to take time off to sit the 7 exams and hope I get a job at VB. Any advice would be most appreciated and feel free to PM me.

PLovett
19th Jun 2010, 10:41
DC323, someone far better qualified to answer than me may come along but I don't think you have to sit the Australian ATPL exams if you have a recognised foreign ATPL. I think it may only involve sitting an air law exam but I stand to be corrected.

The lurk that Bunglerat alluded to was the circumventing of sitting the exams in Australia by doing the FAA "weekend" ATPL exam and then flight test. Rightly or wrongly it was regarded by some in Australia as a lesser form of ATPL and should not be considered.

With a CAAC ATPL and flight time on a 737 NG I should think you would be seriously considered.

The Green Goblin
19th Jun 2010, 10:51
On the application forms it clearly states:

Do you hold an Australian ATPL yes/no

Do you hold an Australian CPL yes/no

Do you hold the examination credits for the Australian ATPL subjects yes/no

Was your Australian ATPL issued under the recognition of a foreign licence yes/no

If yes, what authority -

So the jist is, yes it will give you an Australian ATPL under recognition of the CAAC licence however the Australian operators will still require you to have passes in ALL the Australian subjects even if you already legitimately hold the Australian ATPL. A similar situation exists if you want to convert an Australian ATPL to a JAR licence etc.

I'd suggest emailing/calling recruitment for further information.

rmcdonal
19th Jun 2010, 12:15
The Green Goblin I think the thought is they want to see if you picked up an ATPL by sitting the Australian Exams, or if you just memorised the answers to the FAA exams.

desiderata
19th Oct 2010, 09:39
Hey everyone:)

I know this thread has been inactive for a couple of months but there is a Virgin Blue 'Guest Services' Assessment Day on the 26th this month
and I was hoping to get some advice on what to expect?
I got the invitation after my application and a phone interview.

Most of the advice on the interview format on other threads were years ago so I was hoping for a more recent low-down :)
like what questions will be asked and also what exactly is this "group activity" going to be.

Also if anyone else will be attending this ? :) I'd love to hear back and really appreciate the help :)

Thank youuuu .

zim2uk
14th Dec 2010, 10:20
Hey everyone,

Got an interview coming up in January for an FO slot at VB, anyone have the latest info on the selection process? Are there many technical questions or is it all personality type stuff?

Thanks in advance!

BeerMan
9th Feb 2011, 12:46
Just further to the above, can anybody shed any light on the latest recruitment processes in place - type of interview questions, and sim profile?

Thanks.

F/O
10th Feb 2011, 04:38
@zim2uk: how did you go?
Also curious to know what experience the guys have, who get an interview and how long since they submitted their application?
Thanks heaps

aussie027
16th Feb 2011, 04:08
Has anyone got any answers to Beerman and F/O's Questions??

I read on the A330 thread they are supposed to be recruiting now and through this year.
I would also like to hear the latest info from someone who has recently interviewed in last few months re interview location, Q asked , sim etc and what experience levels people need to be realistically called for an interview.
I am assuming multi crew time on a regional turboprop on either Charter or RPT would be the current minimum given the number of people looking for work or looking to move up from where they are??
Thanks. :ok:

most of the recruitment threads are more than 2 yrs old.

F111
16th Feb 2011, 12:55
Don't know what changes have ocurred in the interview process, but I was at the sim centre 2 weeks ago and interviews were going on all day.

questil
16th Feb 2011, 19:38
Currently all recruitment has been axed until ? Due the various reasons command courses have also been put on hold now looking at crew surplus again

Global Xpress
16th Feb 2011, 20:58
Questil, where did you hear this? Info from within?

F111
16th Feb 2011, 22:33
As of last week only 2 Ejet command courses delayed. 737 command courses still going ahead so questil what's changed?

mates rates
16th Feb 2011, 23:59
The rumour is the 6x E170's have been sold and with only 3xE190's to come there will be a 15 Capt. surplus on the EJet.So that would fit in with the EJet command course cancellation.

F111
17th Feb 2011, 00:10
But the 190 flying is about to increase post May to cover the 737's while they get the new cabins, so at this stage no surplus of crew, just a few delayed command courses.

BeerMan
26th Jun 2011, 14:01
What's the latest word on recruitment at Virgin Australia... any ideas on when courses may start again? And any timings on associated interviews and testing?

Anthill
26th Jun 2011, 20:38
No movement internally. No word of any external recruitment. Probably need to wait for the various EBAs to be sorted.

BeerMan
27th Jun 2011, 01:15
Thanks Anthill.

campdoag
27th Jun 2011, 01:23
The next A330 course will be in late september early october, word from the training dept is that there will be 2 more courses to follow early in the new year. The courses will be filled entirely with internal candidates which will create some movement on both the 73 and e-jet fleets.

My guess would be towards the end of the year for externals

campdoag
27th Jun 2011, 02:01
Mate in the past they have taken people from all walks of aviation life... Get your application in and get your hat in the ring now!! Update every month and show them you're keen!!

Presently they have around 40 guys on a hold file ready for when they recommence training. I think a couple of years ago when airline recruitment was going bananas the type of experience was not so much a factor. Now that things have slowed down some what, they can afford to be more picky and it seems as though that their preference is to take guys with some real multi crew time, a la regionals.

But mate you never know you luck in the big smoke, if you don't apply you don't have a shot.

Good luck:ok: