PDA

View Full Version : Shorhaul Versus Longhaul

AeroTech
26th Jan 2010, 21:27
Hi,

I sometimes read that engines & wings are optimized for the cruise (spent more time there).

-How an engine in shorthaul aircraft is optimized since takeoff and climb may/will take longer time than cruise?

-How an engine in shorthaul aircraft (spent more time in takeoff and climb) is different than an engine in longhaul (spent more time in cruise)?

-How a wing is optimized in shorthaul aircraft (less time in cruise) and how it is different than a wing in longhaul (more time in cruise)?

I am not stating that engines and wings are (or should be) different by design depending on their missions, I am wondering if they are?

Feedback appreaciated
Regards

rudderrudderrat
27th Jan 2010, 10:46
I am not stating that engines and wings are (or should be) different by design depending on their missions, I am wondering if they are?

Hi,

I don't think there is any significant difference because of the Flight Levels and speeds they fly at as calculated by their FMC. A heavy long haul aircraft will not climb as high as a lighter short haul aircraft initially - but both will be flying at their optimum speeds (heavy will be faster), and their respective optimum altitudes. As the long haul aircraft uses fuel, it will climb to its next optimum altitude etc. The heavy long haul may only reach it's final cruising altitude say an hour or so before it descends to destination.

In the days when there far fewer aircraft, a "cruise climb" technique was used, where climb power was set and the aircraft allowed to climb slowly as the weight reduced. (I believe Concord did) So those long haul heavies spent most of their time in the climb and less in the "cruise".

GlueBall
27th Jan 2010, 11:49
Special B744 "domestic" short range versions have no winglets, no tail tank, fewer galleys and higher density seating up to 568 pax. Some versions are fitted with additional windows on the upper deck.

PENKO
28th Jan 2010, 16:24
Ingteresting idea. But a typical 737 or 320 will do anything from a short twenty minute trip to long sectors of four hours and more, all with exactly the same engine..

Denti
28th Jan 2010, 16:46
Yup, from 20 minute block time sectors up to over 5 hours, in extreme cases up to 6 or 7 hours will be done with the same plane, a so-called short haul one (in our case 737 and A320 family). However, we do operate A330s on sectors between 35 minutes up to 12 or 13 hours.