PDA

View Full Version : SE(H) IF Trg

Tag14
26th Jan 2010, 20:04
I’m after some clarity as to ‘Best Practice’ of the logging of Single Engine Helicopter Instrument Flying Training during PPL and Night Flying Cse’s.
When an FI instructs the min 5hrs during the PPL Cse, and the 10hrs towards the Night Qualification, does the student log ‘Take-Off’ time to’ Landing’ time as Dual IF for each flight, as opposed to, rotor ‘Start’ to rotor ‘Stop’, or is it purely the time the student spends ‘hands on’ under the hood, flying with sole reference to instruments that can be logged?
Cheers
Tag14

BillieBob
27th Jan 2010, 10:11
Instrument flight time is defined in JAR-FCL 2.001 as "Time during which a pilot is controlling an aircraft in flight solely by reference to instruments."

Tag14
27th Jan 2010, 20:24
Thanks BillieBob, Yep got that one, the definition is quite straight forward, and I should have explained my qusetion better.

JAR-FCL 2.125 & Appendix 4 to JAR-FCL 2.125 State that flight instruction for PPL(H) is "to include at least 5hrs instrument dual instruction time" & Ex 1-3 of Night flying syllabus "shall comprise at least 10hrs instruction", respectively.

Therefore, is the student receiving syllabus instruction when not "controlling an aircraft in flight solely by reference to instruments"? I argue YES they are, however they can only enter the time spent 'hands on' in the relevant IF column in their logbook.

So is the Cse Completion Certificate submitted by the RTF/FTO/TRTO stating that the "5/10hrs dual instruction has been completed" sufficient for the CAA, or is the student's logbook required to show 5/10hrs IF, meaning a 1.0 sortie can only log a maximum of 0.9 IF.

As mentioned, I'm after clarity, as you guys have been at this a lot longer than me.

Cheers
Tag

Flingingwings
27th Jan 2010, 21:04
If you're a student - What does your instrutor say? Afterall they're training you and will be submitting both the form and your certified logbook.

If you're an FI (which i assume as you've looked up JAR FCL references) - What does your CFI say? What do the Instructors you work with do/say? Good starting point I reckon :ok:

Alternatively, you could follow your own advice, and ask Fred for his interpretation of the legislation and/or thoughts on best practice :p

Tag14
27th Jan 2010, 21:15
The start point you suggested has lead me to this forum as I have received conflicting info from those I have spoken too. Unfortunatly I do not have the benifit of being a long side an 'Old Sweat' FE in my training environment.

With regards to Fred, point taken, however I'm also after the commercial understanding, what is best practice.

Tag