PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 guidance request

jimtherev
26th Jan 2010, 12:47
W7 Ultimate installed and in general I'm very happy - does what it says on the tin. However...

One irritation: I hope an example will explain.

I'm browsing a site and find a quote I want to use. Highlight 'copy'.
Hit the shortcut button on my keyboard to bring up Word to paste the quote.
Word loads immediately, but flashes on the taskbar - it isn't the 'top window' I either have to click on it or use 'alt-tab'.
The same with most stuff - e.g. my browser defaults to Google. I have to click in the search window to use it.

Previously with XP and all preceding IIRC the latest app to load would automatically be live, having precedence over what I was doing before.

I'm sure there must be a toggle I can reset to get what I want; I've looked at every likely bit of control panel. But can I find it? Can I heck.

Driving me mad.

What have I missed, chaps?
Pretty please.

green granite
26th Jan 2010, 13:22
I get the same thing occasionally when a default program opens, but no idea how to cure it. :(

Mornington Crescent
26th Jan 2010, 14:06
I'm not sure how you can get at the shortcut on your keyboard - but if I change the properties on my word task bar icon (shortcut) to run "minimised" I can create the same thing as you describe.

Sprogget
26th Jan 2010, 14:20
Alt + tab to scroll through the windows or windows key & tab if you want to be posh & use the rolling window thing?

frostbite
26th Jan 2010, 14:25
Just guessing - is there an 'Always on Top' option in your browser that needs unchecking?

green granite
26th Jan 2010, 15:44
is there an 'Always on Top' option in your browser that needs unchecking?

When does it to me there is not always anything open. Also it seems to be random sometime it does sometimes it don't.

jimtherev
26th Jan 2010, 16:57
Ok people - it's not just me then. I'll do a scrabble round the W7 boards and see if there's anything there. (I suppose that as a last resort I could ask my M$oft son... but that's embarrassing - he's the hardware man, I'm the software man...)

Thanks anyway. I'll come back if I find anything.

Tone
26th Jan 2010, 17:07
jimtherev
It's not just you but it's not just W7 either, XP often does the same thing.
tone

jimtherev
27th Jan 2010, 07:13
That's interesting, Tone, I never had XP behave in that way. Other fun surprises, yes, but never that. :hmm:

No joy yet on the W7 boards I've looked at. Most people seem to be howling 'cos they can't find drivers for their 1999-built kit...