PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate a quick steer. Dual boot.

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2010, 16:12
I have never configured a dual boot on one drive. However, I think my method of swapping discs in the BIOS may have caused my problems with CHKDSKing and resultant failures. So, I'm going to set the 'new' computer up with a dual boot.

I'm getting the legal copy of XP and a freshly formatted HD. And does that offer an FDISK type procedure prior to format. I seem to remember it does, but not sure.

I want to partition it, and appropo the other thread, that's easy in W7. However, that's the OS that will have to be changed when the Beta runs out.

Would it be better to install XP first - as it will be a constant?

Also, will I be able to RE-install W7 when the time comes and leave XP fully working?

x213a
25th Jan 2010, 16:28
Unless you specifically need XP then I'd just go Win 7 full version.

Keef
25th Jan 2010, 16:56
You shouldn't need to swap disks in the BIOS. While I was running Win 7 Beta and XP Pro in parallel, I set the machine up to ask each time which I wanted it to start. I allowed 10 seconds for me to choose, then it would start XP Pro.

There are three hard drives in the case, and by then the boot partition wasn't partition 0 on drive 0, but it all worked.

HOWEVER ... to reinforce what x213a says...

After the first week with Win 7, I never used the XP Pro boot setup again. I could access the datafiles (Word, etc) from either boot, and very quickly decided I far preferred Win 7. I switched over the start routine to 5 seconds and Win 7.

Now that I have the released version of Win 7, I've removed XP Pro altogether and have other stuff on that partition.

If you really want to do dual boot, leave the XP Pro drive in there, create your new empty partition for Win 7, and when you install 7, tell it where to install to (ie the empty partition, and not to overwrite the XP).

At some point in the setup, it will ask you if you want it to set up a dual boot.

x213a
25th Jan 2010, 17:08
Also, Ultimate boot CD is a free utility that may be of benefit to you, whatever you decide to do.

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2010, 18:08
Thanks for that.

The vendor left his computer with dual boot! XP and Ubuto Sp? So it'll be a chance to learn before a clean sweep. Thought I'd do that when the W7 RC is coming to an end.

Fully agree about W7. Love it. But my mate sometimes needs a steer, and I boot in XP to remind me of odds. Also, my Creative webcam won't work on 7. Marked Obsolete.
Too mean to buy another. It works perfectly in XP - good little unit in fact.

Trying to emulate XP in W7 produced nothing, I got the impression that I needed to download an add-on for this function. Is this in fact, true?

Really, saying bios in the way I did was rather misleading. All I was actually doing is pressing Esc on start and it would give me the choice of choosing my disc. But, both were set to master...it's the only way it would work. It would go well for ages, then throw chkdks 's at me. Disaster would follow.

This time, not only did that (abruptly aborted ) procedure kill my second drive. It necessitated running CHKDSK on the third logical drive in the main physical drive. I'm left to believe that if I'd not crashed out of the procedure, I may have had the main drive totally corrupted.

So, I don't dare run that physical setup ever again. I had to press my own ribbons cos no one had them anymore...etc., etc. All old hat and a :mad: nuisance. I missed SATA by a few days, my son's 'identical' purchase, was next generation.

Anyway, back to seeing what I've purchased.

x213a
25th Jan 2010, 18:25
I had XP & Ubuntu dual-boot on my desktop. I had major snags re-partitioning as Windows would not recognise the Linux partition. I solved it by deleting the ubuntu partition from within Ubuntu - using the Ubuntu live CD.

On my messing about laptop which I experiment on, I had Ubuntu & XP also. During a botched Ubuntu update I wrecked the HD and could not boot to anything. Most (free) formatting software would not deal with none NTFS file systems IE not Windows. Had to remove "superblocks" (dunno what they are but it worked) using Testdisk on Ultimate boot CD.
Sorry can't offer anything more descriptive but I encountered many snags trying to go from Ubuntu dual-boot to just windows.

Ultimate boot cd:
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

green granite
25th Jan 2010, 18:44
Trying to emulate XP in W7 produced nothing, I got the impression that I needed to download an add-on for this function. Is this in fact, true?

Providing you are running Pro or ultimate (the RC is ultimate) then you can download XP virtual M/C from: Windows Virtual PC: Home Page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/)

This runs XP as a virtual M/C inside W7, works well too as I use it for some radio decoding software that wont run under 7

Keef
25th Jan 2010, 18:58
If you're dual-booting to Windows and Linux, then you will almost certainly be using Grub to do that. Grub is rather more flexible and configureable than Windows, but a different "skill set". You do need to mess with coding and stuff, though.

I didn't get as far as multiple-boot with Linux, XP and Win 7 so can't comment on how that works, but I doubt it would be problematic.

I got fed up with (year-ago) Linux getting the total hump when my graphics card popped its clogs and I replaced it with a later version from the same manufacturer. Windows hardly noticed the change and carried on working, while Linux (all versions except Fedora) reverted to a DOS box with several pages of gibberish code error messages. That's the problem with compiled kernels if the slightest thing changes in the hardware.

That happened about a day before I downloaded Win 7 Beta, so I wiped all the Linux partitions, merged them, and put Win 7 on there. No regrets!

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2010, 19:57
Right now, I've got away to a bad start. The slightly more whoomphy system is as slow as an XT trying to run IBM's original OS. :ugh:

Furthermore, the 585 watt PSU has such bad reviews that I'll have to change it sooner rather than later. Still, another excuse to buy one of those nice cases.

Suddenly it will run at the speed of light, then not respond to one thing or another. Task Manager, when it finally appears, show a lost of stuff loaded, but not much to account for making the PC a snail.

I'm intending to scrap all the soft and load the W7. But I would like to know that the thing goes before doing this.

I need to clean, partition and format the disc, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I'm wondering if the W7 download would carry across on a stick, in its original download form

Keef
25th Jan 2010, 20:11
Er - which operating system is this that's crawling, and what does Task Manager/Processes (Ctrl - Shift - Esc) show as the culprit that's using all the CPU time?

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2010, 21:39
Sombody quipped that you'all would have to clear the decks. Nah, thinks I. Walk in the park. Should've known.

There may be a problem. I found everything sticking right at the bios reading stage as well. Suddenly, everything is working while I load afresh, XP on the second partition.

I was only doing this as a test and a backup, but it's taking longer than I remember.

If when the PC has cooled down, it miss-behaves again, I'll be back to the lad that sold it to me. It's a bit like a thermal problem, but I haven't done things like check the bios battery etc.

What I don't know, is how to carry the W7 RC download file to the new machine. I guess I can put the file on a DVD, but I don't have a stick big enough for the 2.7 Gigs. I thought I'd put it in one of the other partitions and see if it installed from there. Anyone remember the size cos the name looks unfamiliar. It won't paste, but starts 7100.0.090421 2.471 > Gig. That is the RC download innit?

My memory is getting so bad.:sad:

Keef
25th Jan 2010, 21:47
Can't remember the RC download name, and I've deleted it now anyway. I burned it to a DVD and installed it from that. I've probably still got the DVD somewhere in the tip that is my study.

When I wanted to update rather than reinstall, I copied the DVD to a spare HD partition, edited the "don't update" line, and installed from there with no problems.

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2010, 23:44
Well, I've got the unpacked files on a DVD and the 'new' thing can't see the disc at all. It can see files on some discs, and indeed installed XP onto logical D. But it will not see the +r disc.

There's a BIOS mystery. It want's to find a floppy, but shows no DVD...unless it's offering to start from it!

This firmware seem an awful mixture of pre-history and modern items. Most odd. Given the board is SATA it should agree with the invoice of about 2008 - not too aged.

"Secondary master drive ATAPI incompatible."
Thing is, I don't know how to set the BIOS if it's not listed. It seems to object to it being a second SATA drive.

I'm putting my money on a duff or wrong setting DVD right now. I don't think it's gone into slow mode with it unplugged. In fact, when it did bog down, and I pulled the Serial lead, it freed the system up. so, hopeful about this.

I'm going to resort to alcohol and a little of this.:ugh:

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2010, 06:07
Just so many little things happening, none of the serious, but together, make the job a pain.

Very disappointed. Entire afternoon wasted messing with this. It will not read copied DVDs or a Netflix film disc. Tried three different ways of writing to them. So, no W7 loaded.

Got Xp going on partition D. Boots okay, but even this is bogged down when the DVD is accessed and it cant read the disc. Not responding. Pull the disc, and away it goes.

A forum found under that TSST drive SH S2230 Q Said that it should be found by the firm/software. No drivers needed. Hope so, their web site is less than intuitive if I need a driver. I've never loaded a driver for one of these since DOS days.

The last thing, I removed masses of his progs out of C drive. Gigs of it. Went to de-frag, and it says the disc is nearly full. That's when I went to bed.

Been Accounting
26th Jan 2010, 06:29
I used the method described on life hacker.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista - windows 7 - Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista)

This worked like clockwork.

Now my problem is how to remove XP!

Any ideas?

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2010, 06:37
Well, that might work, because it can be contained on a CD. It still wont get me the w7 files on if this DVD is faulty.

I went through the settings again. Just can not understand why there is no mention of a DVD there. I think it might be a clue, but why does it work sometimes?

Anyway, going for that partition tool.

Sprogget
26th Jan 2010, 08:09
I ran Vista & 7 beta for a while off the same hard drive & all I did was partition the drive & use easy bcd to manage the boot screen, couldn't have been easier.

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2010, 17:28
As usual, I couldn't leave the fault alone, and it was near 3am before I finally gave up.

In the old days, I had boxes of MBs Drives etc., to substitute. Now, almost nowt. I'm pretty sure that the DVD is knackered, and while it is being accessed - and unable to see the disc - it totally bogs down the system. Unplugged, the computer flies.

Can't do anything until I can load the soft, so, a new CD/DVD unit. Is there a consensus on a good one of these? I used Teac in the old days. Never anything else for floppies. Never, ever, had one fail out of hundreds.

There was one other thing in the BIOS. It said: Things in [ ] were disabled in another section.(Sic) Every darn item is enclosed in this way. I went through every single item and read the comments for each one. Nothing!

Keef
26th Jan 2010, 18:59
I think I see a chink or two here...

You deleted all his toot from the C: drive, but did you "Empty Recycle Bin"?
Otherwise, it's still all sitting there clogging up the drive like before.

Empty the bin, defrag, then take a look at the Event Viewer. That is the most useful single source of information about what's going wrong.

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2010, 21:41
Yes, did that this morning in an uncharacteristic flash of intelligent reasoning. It made no difference. He's 'only' allowed 49 gig for the C drive, and filled it.

Defrag is saying that it hasn't got enough shoulder room to do its processing. Do I want to do it anyway? Yes, says I.

After 15 seconds, it says its done. The rather unpleasant ribbon display shows a mess of fragmentation. What was wrong with Perter Norton's lovely jumping squares? (one thing I really remember him for)

Anyway, I've just got back with a new Samsung DVD thingy, and hope that is the answer.

While I was at the shop, they offered me an OEM W7. for $109. For full home premium. But...I had to choose between 64 and 32. I have become unable to make decisions. (It's a sort of rest from a job where people expected me to.) :hmm:

I've just read through the searches on 64 v 32, a lot of good stuff, but have you Keef and others warmed to the 64 bit since getting a bit more time on 7 ?

Keef
26th Jan 2010, 21:52
No, I'm still firmly wedded to 32-bit. I understand 64-bit may get me a teeny bit better performance but at the cost of various peripherals being driverless.

49GB on the C-drive? Is that JUST the Windows operating system, plus a few bits? Seems a lot. Can you copy some stuff off to another drive (datafiles, for example, or Word and Excel documents)?

If the drive really is 49GB and is full, that may explain the strange behaviour.

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2010, 23:03
No, it was strange on XP, but anyway, the new DVD unit, an exact replacement as it happens, is operating perfectly.

I see that I'm allowed to use the Beta RC in several machines at this location, so it's loading as I type. One thing, W7 of course balked at the sight of the partition, and told me to boot with the DVD. This I did, but still that only way to open the partition, was to destroy it! Then the next, with the loss of the new XP, and then the tidbits that were left.

W7 formed a partition for operational reasons, and then went on to used the whole area without the offer to format! Mmm...don't understand that.

I just wait to see if the W7 key is the same for this machine.

I'm praying that it will find the router, or I'm up for another long night.

Keef
26th Jan 2010, 23:40
Hmmm. Sounds like it was being naughty! On my machine, I created a partition for Win 7 and it stayed inside that.

I was impressed with how fast it installed, and how it went off and searched out drivers. It installed in an impressively short time. found the router etc, and called home to validate itself.

Initially, it had a list of peripherals that it didn't know, but after a few minutes on the net, it sorted those.

Everything in the PC is now "Win 7'd" except the SCSI card, and I've got round that.

Loose rivets
27th Jan 2010, 00:07
Well, I'm typing on the 'new' machine. :}

W7 found its way t'net, and all I have to do is fit a , , , button to this keyboard. Got those by poking the place where it was.

It stepped in with a graphics driver which I'm pleased about cos an hour with ATI or Fox produced one reference to the on-board and then sent me to the wrong one entirely.

I've just checked and it is listing as the correct sub-system ADI Radeon HD 2300 I don't think it's quite as clear as the original driver that was on XP but it may be me clouding over:ouch:

I've just adjusted my colour and text definition. Never done that before on 7. Really quite impressive for folk that have never set up cameras etc.

Now to try the big screen on it.

Keef
27th Jan 2010, 00:34
Good news!

Give it a day or so to settle down - it's likely to sniff around for better drivers (well, mine did).

Take a peek at the Event Viewer to see what it's not happy about.

If it's seriously unhappy about anything, it will tell you in the box that hooks onto the little flag in the bottom right toolbar.

Loose rivets
27th Jan 2010, 04:39
Well, just spotted a deliberate mistake.:(

Having said how easy the partitioning of Vista and W7 was, I now see that I'm limited to shrinking C to no less than 230g out of 500. It seems there are fixed files in it, which they refuse to budge.

I don't want to use a third party's soft, as things like Partition Magic seem to have a lot going on behind the scenes. I get the feeling that their partitioning is done with the aid of smoke and mirrors.

Also...I'm sure that I didn't do a re-install of Vista on my laptop, and that's set out much as I wanted. Perhaps, W7 grabs a bit more space to play in, though with Vista's reputation, that seems unlikely. Just don't know.

Still, this is all a learning period, I'm still having to do a full install with the paid version - all too soon now. If this comes about, I'll make sure my drive is partitioned first.

The five-speaker setup is just what I need. One speaker on each ear, two for the cat, and the huge one to sit on. :p

However, fine as that might be, I set the soft for something like Super-dooper sound, and I think it's expecting the mic to be the same. It's very feint, and the spare is the same. Maybe the vendor will let me know what the plethora of sockets for sound are all about. Have not yet found the link to the board for a manual. I get A7 GM-S AM2 + 780G RT exactly on Foxconn's site, but then get shoved to a totally wrong page. I'm sure they do it just when I'm looking.

Time for de-caff tea and bikkies.