PDA

View Full Version : Laptops with wireless internet

snookerfan
24th Jan 2010, 23:26
Hello all,

I wanted to ask if laptops with inbuilt wireless internet have to be switched off during flights, like mobile phones have to be?

Apologies if this is a really stupid question (I'm new here) - but am flying soon. It's a long flight but a short trip - I just wanted to know whether it's worth taking my netbook along for the flight or not.

PAXboy
25th Jan 2010, 01:07
Welcome snookerfan.
Mostly, a/c do not have wi-fi operating onboard, so just turn the wireless off BEFORE you switch off the PC BEFORE entering the aircraft. When you switch it on (in the cruise) the wireless will not even try to start.

The On and OFF time for PCs is always clearly given. If you are not sure where to find the software switch for the wireless, just hunt through the main menu, or ask your tech support (if relevant). Failing that, the supplier or find the user manual online. Some laptops have a hardware switch for the radio, as well as a software switch, either way, the screen will tell you when the wireless is off. Then use as normal.

Lancelot37
25th Jan 2010, 01:56
I bring my laptop to OZ every year for our 9 week holiday, but I don't use it on the a/c. Much rather listen to my mp4 player or the music on the entertainment system on board.

Don't think that I could spend almost 12 hours (plus 6 hours on the first flight) trying to entertain myself on the laptop without the Internet.

MathFox
25th Jan 2010, 08:10
Some planes are equipped with a Wifi Access Point and I assume you are allowed to run your computer with the wireless ethernet on.