PDA

View Full Version : Extended Time UK based CPL / FI Training

laverda62
23rd Jan 2010, 16:35
Hi folks

I completed my ATPL Theory in August 2009 and now considering whether to embark on the CPL course this year and FI course next year or wait until the economy picks up. To complicate matters a bit, my IMC expires soon and in order to concentrate on the ATPL Theory, I had not flown for for over year until recently. I maintain a full time job and want to instruct PPL's and maybe CPL's part time eventually.

From what I have seen recently when I took a couple of refresher flights at a school in the three counties that there seems not to be much work for instructors and their schedules look pretty quiet. Having to spend approx £15k to get a CPL / FI(R) becomes a worry if the P/T FI job scene is poor.

So I am considering revalidating the IMC then doing an extended CPL training period, may be 6 months if the school allows or just doing the CPL now and when time and money permit, do a few instrument approaches and get the IMC revalidated part way through the CPL course. This with a view to commencing the FI course in 2011 and perhaps P/T FI job hunt in the summer next year.

I shall apreciate thoughts. I have had a good scout on PPRUNE for any similar threads. Also the talks about EASA relaxing the requirement for CPL for paid PPL instructors and talk about abolishing IMC gives more food for thought.

If it all seems to much trouble, I can keep the £15k in my back pocket and spend it on getting quite a few hours on a PA32 at my leisure.

I shall apreciate thoughts from CPL's, P/T or F/T FI's or anyone who has a view.

Laverda 62

oceanicclarence
25th Jan 2010, 07:53
you pay your money, you take your chance! ........caveat emptor.
Watch out for ATPL theory time limits for CPL too........