PDA

View Full Version : BGS Mock ATPL Exams - Representative?

Okavango
23rd Jan 2010, 15:07
I did Module 1 with BGS and for revision just worked through the QB. I've now done the same on Mod 2 though have a bit of spare time and have been using the mock exams. How representative have people found them of the real exams - do they give a correct spread and a good indication of success in actual exams? Thanks.

TopGunGB
23rd Jan 2010, 17:08
I did my last exam nearly a year ago, but I found the BGS mock exams to be quite accurate indeed. In many cases the questions were word perfect. New questions do inevitably appear on the written exams, so it's important to know the material.

student88
23rd Jan 2010, 17:55
CAA/EASA are becoming more and more aware of questions banks. They promote a lack of understanding in the core theory. Expect in the future a new style of questions which can only be answered by knowledge of theory and not simply what the right answer is.

laverda62
23rd Jan 2010, 21:01
I completed my ATPL's with CAT's in August 09 and supplemented learning with the Bristol QB. The QB is pretty close to the real Q's.

Knowing the theory and lot's of note reading does not guarantee a pass. It is important to also understand how the real Q's are framed. With some of the topics e.g. AF / MET there were several hundred Q's in the QB. Pre exam I went through the QB more than once and in some cases more than 3 times. 2-3 weeks pre-exam I abandoned the notes and just buried myself in QB and revised weak areas.

LHRjc
25th Jan 2010, 13:12
I did my ATPLs with BGS and found the QB to be pretty representative of the real exams. However recently they've started slipping in new questions which, at the time I was doing my exams were in a new Database (v3?) so it'd be worth doing all the different databases just to be sure. There's a high likelihood some of the questions will be new to you but you'll probably have seen the majority before. Of course if you know your stuff there should be no surprises :)

Also they seemed to be putting in questions in a new style - basically giving you 2 facts and then the answer to choose from were

a) i and ii are correct
b) i and ii are incorrect
c) i is correct, ii is incorrect
d) i is incorrect, ii is correct

so much harder to just learn the answer.

airberlin2010
25th Jan 2010, 14:16
.....why ist everthing to become harder and stronger in the world of aviation?
i thing the most importent thing is to handel your A/C !

Okavango
25th Jan 2010, 20:45
Thanks - I know the QB is pretty much the exam questions, just wondered if the mock exams gave a reprentative mix. Already getting fairly high marks for these so not sure how much value there is from the brush up course?

26th Jan 2010, 12:54
If you are talking about the mock exams from the 2 week brush up courses, then I would say that they are representative of the real thing. But if you mean the mock exams generated from the QB, then I would say no.

Obviously the QB questions are very accurate, but I asked BGS the same thing and they said that the QB mock exams are simply a randomly generated selection of questions and therefore don't give a representative spread.

If you have some spare time, I would make sure that you have nailed the mock papers from the brush up course, concentrating on the ones you got wrong or weren't sure about and are comfortable with the exams timings?

Have you gone through the entire QB systematically yet or are you just hitting the generated mock exams? If you have time, do all questions for a subject and then concentrate on the ones you got wrong.

I think if you have nailed the mock papers from the brush up and are keeping your hand in with the QB, you can't go far wrong.

Good luck!