PDA

View Full Version : Best East Coast jobs...

xxgoldxx
23rd Jan 2010, 12:45
Ok So what is the best east coast ..(or east of YPAD at least..) job out there that keeps you away from the city lifestyle of SYD MEL BNE etc.. no offence of course but the city thing is just not for me.. so where should I aim for a long term well paid position in a more affordable lifestyle location..?? who reckons they have it covered..

rmcdonal
23rd Jan 2010, 22:05
QLINK Mildura
RFDS Dubbo
:ok::}

pylet
23rd Jan 2010, 22:24
Qantas Mainline LH - live wherever you like!:}

Red Jet
23rd Jan 2010, 22:55
Any Melbourne based job will let you enjoy the serenity (ahhh, the serenity!!) of the Macedon ranges, while having less than 40 minutes (Gisborne to the Tulla staff car park 25 minutes flat) commute to work. Unbeatable lifestyle (sorry Queenslanders, couldn't handle the trip to Brisbane airport from ANY part of Brisbane or surrounds).

neville_nobody
23rd Jan 2010, 23:08
Unbeatable lifestyle

Pity about the weather.....:}

Any long haul job will let you live in the country. Short haul forget it.

So your options are QF, VOZ, Cathay aiming to eventually be based in Oz, Cathay Freight, or regionals/RFDS as mentioned above. Another option is to get into crop dusting but not sure how well paid they are. Alliance in Townsville, or Sunstate in Cairns are other options.

LM82
24th Jan 2010, 00:09
depending on what sort of money your after REX non capital city bases have if fairly cruisey asthere are no overnights and mostly halve day shifts.

i think the bases are as follows
Albury, Wagga Wagga, Orange, Lismore, Townsville and of course Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Qlink Q400 in cairns would be pretty sweet too.
personally i dont think you could beat qlink/vb in bris vegas and live up on the sunshine coast as its only an hour drive.
hope this helps.

boltz
24th Jan 2010, 03:34
I would like to find out the same but for the Tasmania area. Any good flying jobs out of Hobart?

Howard Hughes
24th Jan 2010, 03:51
VH-RCA looks pretty good to me, but the grass is always greener on the other side of the apron...:ok:

compressor stall
24th Jan 2010, 05:51
keeps you away from the city lifestyle of SYD MEL BNE etc..

Well, I live in the serenity of the Macedon Ranges and my job takes me here.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/stallie001/aviation/Screenshot2010-01-24at54741.png

The commute takes a while though.... :}

Capt Claret
24th Jan 2010, 06:21
G'day Stallie,

I reckon you musta got sunstroke when you were in the Top End. Why any one wants to spend so much time in the freezing cold's got me buggered! :p

FNQ is paradise! :ok:

cficare
24th Jan 2010, 06:43
If I had to base out of a capital city...Adelaide for me..climate great, everything at your doorstep, great beaches,wines, lifestyle and close to the rest of Oz

Under Dog
24th Jan 2010, 06:53
From Howard

"VH-RCA looks pretty good to me, but the grass is always greener on the other side of the apron...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif "

Generaly means there's Been a sewer leak.....

The Dog:ok:

Cap'n Arrr
24th Jan 2010, 06:56
hahahaha

I wouldn't exactly call Adelaide a place with a great climate.

Winters = colder than syd
Summers = hotter than syd

in each case syd is cold/hot enough :ok:

rmcdonal
24th Jan 2010, 08:19
So do you want:
Turbine/ Jet/ Piston/heli
Pay?
Distance from Coast?
Workload?
Lifestyle?

xxgoldxx
24th Jan 2010, 08:39
loads of good responses... cheers eh..

its all a compromise

no amount of experience or endorsements can lead to anything with a Q because I did yr11/trade not HSC...oh well..

Jets dont really turn me on..
a turbine but with jet work hours would be the go..

RFDS would be awesome.. but most bases are bit too far from the coast.. unless you could jag cairns...

Some Rex bases are ok but the pay I believe pay aint that great and RPT doesn't excite me that much..

The Antarctic gig would be great but family considerations..

Ag would be great but a bit late for a big change.. and the wife aint too keen on the worry of it all..

Perth does seem to be exactly what is called for if only it wasn't so bloody far away... a nice Dash, or maybe Jet job with decent pay and ok real estate.. alot of good points...

If only we could get a RFDS job for $100K and bases in the Gong, Newcastle Port Mac Coffs or Lismore..

morno
24th Jan 2010, 08:45
xxgoldxx,
RFDS has plenty of bases on the coast. Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Derby (if you could call it coast, :E).

morno

Mr. Hat
24th Jan 2010, 09:06
Being a talent scout/photographer for a modelling agency :E

The Green Goblin
24th Jan 2010, 09:23
Dont forget Headland. Derby's

You must have spent to much time in a small cockpit with a student sucking the oxygen out of the air!

Port Hedland or Derby as a good place to live????

Jeeeeeeeeez

I'd rather live in Oombi :yuk:

morno
24th Jan 2010, 09:42
eocvictim,
I think you'll find there's only a few thousand $$'s between QLD and Western. Bugger all difference.

morno

Josh Cox
24th Jan 2010, 13:36
Morno,

Western line Pilot 90-96K ( depending on level / years of service ), plus SALPAC.

B58
25th Jan 2010, 01:43
I wouldnt call QLD section so much a boys club anymore. 2 guys just started up in CS after being in the RFDS for 2 and less than 1 year respectively. CS is not the most wanted base within the service, especially now that you have to fly C208's 5 days a week on clinics with the odd B200 flight thrown in. My picks would be TL, Bundy or BN. Its still the best job on the east coast. 100K a year to work 4on 4off with no overnights (except night shifts)

morno
25th Jan 2010, 02:00
I'd have to agree with B58. It's not much of a 'boys club' anymore, with more than 50 pilots in QLD alone.

Funnily enough, most of the new starts in QLD these days are starting on the coast.

morno

Falling Leaf
25th Jan 2010, 02:34
100K a year to work 4on 4off with no overnights (except night shifts)

I'm assuming that is for a Captain? Is that the top increment? Any other perks in the T&C for being an RFDS pilot? I assume the 4 days you are on you are on call 24 hrs/day?

morno
25th Jan 2010, 02:41
I'm assuming that is for a Captain?
Well there's no F/O's, so you assume correct.

I assume the 4 days you are on you are on call 24 hrs/day?
No. You are either on a day shift, a night shift, or if you're based in Cairns or Mount Isa, a clinic shift.

morno

B58
25th Jan 2010, 04:25
And no its not the top increment.

Starting pilot Base 85K plus allowances and taxfree salary sacrafice gives a package of just over 100K.

After 4 years line pilot Base of 95K plus allowances and salary sacrafice gives around 114K or there abouts.

There are other oppurtunities like senior base and training pilots etc where you can earn more but they are limited.

We dont get cheap flights with the airlines, or get to fly big shiny jets. (then again most of us are here because that flying is not for us anyway) But we do get to enjoy our jobs and see our families every day. Its not a job for everyone but it is a good one.

xxgoldxx
25th Jan 2010, 09:25
classic...

QF it sounds like you have your goals well established with a name like that eh..

so the 4/4 roster is that the usual between bases.. ?

The $85K base is QLD rate .?

How does the clinic shift fit with that.. ?

Do you do PC12 and B200 or stay on the one machine..?

PM anything you want if not keen to post.

Cheers

Gold..

early2
25th Jan 2010, 09:27
Hats off to the fatuous management, that has decided a unpressurised C208 is a better suit than a PCXII for allied health flights!

Nothing like stepping backwards into the 70's.

j3pipercub
25th Jan 2010, 10:29
Good one guys, now everyone will be applying for Qld Section!!!! :)

Early, I'm pretty sure, and happy to be corrected, but I thought the vans replaced a GAM Do228... So a bit slower, but they aint pressurised either....

Best East Coast Jobs, yeah have to be RFDS.followed by Night Freight.

Would be awesome, living in Emu Park or Begara or Yorkeys, 4 on 4 off. Plus in Cairns I could get my mits on a van again :)

What is the usual experience level for the docs? How much legacy base work is required before a transfer to the coast?

j3

Mr snuffaluffagus
25th Jan 2010, 23:13
Sunstate Cairns base, to be sure.

2-3 days flying per week, maybe one of them a short morning trip to Hamo and the other a coastal overnight in Brisvegas. Good people, ok money, damn nice Dash's and you can buy 3 houses for the price of 1 (1 Sydney house that is). Not to mention the fishing, the reef and the casual laid back attitude you wont find in a city. As long as you don't mind the odd summer rainy day or two, or three :)

eocvictim
26th Jan 2010, 04:12
Dont forget the Woolshed and you can live with all the other pilots in Cairns One!

Howard Hughes
26th Jan 2010, 07:42
If only we could get a RFDS job for $100K and bases in the Gong, Newcastle, Port Mac, Coffs, or Lismore...
Well I reckon you can...:E
How competitive is the RFDS selection process?
No harder or easier than anywhere else, the problem is by the time guys accumulate enough experience to join the RFDS, they are normally long gone to the airlines!

frigatebird
26th Jan 2010, 20:29
Mr Snuff
Nice to see some young ones enjoy and appreciate that pioneering done 35 years ago..
frigate

Metro man
26th Jan 2010, 23:52
Do the RFDS still provide a car with purchase option once it's time for replacement ? That would add a few thousand $$$ to the package.