PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod MR2 Out of Service Magazine - Stories, Photos & Dits Wanted

kb661
23rd Jan 2010, 09:16
RAF Kinloss is compiling a commemorative magazine to mark the end of 40 years of service of the Nimrod. They would like to feature as many stories and photos from those that have served on the Mighty Hunter as possible.

If you have any publishable stories, photos or dits please email them to [email protected] please put "MR2 Magazine" in the subject line.

So that the magazine is published before the OSD please email ASAP. The deadline for content is the end of January!

Many thanks

KB

If you require more info please PM me.

Alber Ratman
23rd Jan 2010, 09:50
Good luck with it. I had the same job with the Jaguar finishing at Coningsby, fortunately I had access to all the photos saved from Coltishall, Rondots stuff and graphics genius that could do quick profiles for me. If you haven't done so already, Command Graphics are the people to package it and AIDU are the people to print it (hopefully still for free). They like good quality (300 DPI) images to work with, and would rather have too much to work with bar too little!

Get somebody who is good at proof reading to check if. It's amazing the number of such productions have major errors that people have missed!!:ok:

kb661
23rd Jan 2010, 16:20
AR,
Thanks. We already have the Graphics Dept and AIDU on standby. Hopefully just waiting for an avalanche of photos and stories that can be edited into a fitting momento.

If you have a story please get in touch.

KB

Daf Hucker
23rd Jan 2010, 16:53
Will this just be a MR1 & 2 mag? Although the R1 isn't going out of service yet, I don't suppose there will be one specifically for them :(

Alber Ratman
23rd Jan 2010, 20:38
Hopefully all your Nimrod pruners will help this guy out. He will have enough problems in collecting info and stories without the positive input of others.

kb661
24th Jan 2010, 15:11
Daf,
Currently planned as a MR1/MR2 commemorative magazine as the R1 will continue until next year.

KB

Not Long Here
24th Jan 2010, 17:56
kb661,

Is there going to be a Kinloss POC to obtain copies. Only did a mere 27 years with the MR1 & 2 fleets so understandably keen to get a copy.

Do you have photos of the two aircraft at the North Pole with the 2 x SSNs..done in the 90's I seem to recall, 1 x 206 Crew (I was there as the Grid qualed Nav) and one x CXX crew. I have a copy at the office in NZ, so although currently about 8000 miles away from Wellington I can get one of the guys to scan and send if you don't have that.

Unfortunately, most of the good Maritime stories are unfit for publication. Spindrifter anyone?:E

BATS
24th Jan 2010, 19:36
Not long here - check your PMs

I was on the 120 ac and have some of the original prints from the Pole taken by the RAF PR phot (Rick Brewell IIRC) Bit big to scan though..... they're hanging on my wall too.

BT

Specaircrew
24th Jan 2010, 20:05
Ah the Spindrifter.............better known as the Spermdripper to some!

The Old Fat One
24th Jan 2010, 22:07
One hopes page three has already been reserved for the first lady of maritime.....

Charlie Luncher
25th Jan 2010, 00:49
What about a lifestyle section with recipes cooked in the galley and cocktails served on Dets??
"I concur" with the page 3 request:8
Charlie sends

Rossian
25th Jan 2010, 10:45
What will be the arrangements for getting to the hangar party? I assume the dining in will be the great and the good only from off the station? As I'm going abroad for the next five weeks can you post the details here as I'll be checking as I travel around. TIA

The Ancient Mariner

Rossian
25th Jan 2010, 11:01
...breakfast for 26 in the outbound transit on Medex needed a bit of organising (and fresh ingredients) so wouldn't be allowed today.
Get those sitting around the galley table to roll up the streaky bacon into fairly tight rolls to the same density as the sausages and place in the aluminium foil dishes along with a halved tomato. Pop into the preheated oven. Baked beans go into the pan (you know, the one that seals stuck launcher gates) to heat through. Now the galley team butter bread and organise the paper plates. When the sausage and bacon is almost done crack an egg into each foil tray and back into the oven. Boil the water for the tea/coffee. Get someone else to hand round cups of OJ.
You can cook 7 trays at a time, so when the eggs are ready, dish out onto the cardboard plates c/w bread and butter and cutlery. Someone else takes the tea/coffee around.
And the next 7 trays are readied.
A whole crew can have a fresh cooked breakfast in about 45 - 60 mins. Which is a great start to a days work on a dank winters day. And at the end of it it's jugs of brandy sours at Akronelli. Hurrah!!

The Ancient Mariner

Rossian
25th Jan 2010, 11:14
...Garbage Bag salad to go with the steaks from the Commissary. Much nicer than it sounds.
Big Iceberg lettuces, smash the stalk end on the galley table. That makes the core easy to remove in a oner. Using a (washed) old fashioned dinghy knife (the one like a bowie knife) shred the lettuces roughly. Into the new placky rubbish bag.
Slice cucumber/tomato/red/green peppers/red onion (sliced v. thinly). Into the bag.
Two bottles of Kraft ready made salad dressings (but don't mix Thousand Island and Italian - yeuuuuch!) Into the bag.
Twist the top of the bag loosely and give the whole kit and caboodle a bloody good shake.
Et Voila!
Potato salad goes separately.
Steaks cooked to order on the oven.
The "infra red grill" was a bloody nightmare and frequently set of the underfloor warning bells which p**ed off the Eng.

The Ancient Mariner

Siggie
25th Jan 2010, 11:43
It all started going downhill when the DCS changed from rectangular to circular, it made using the 11 points more difficult.

Recipe for Honkers:-

anything in the rations, seasoned with whatever was in the crew bag.

The Old Fat One
25th Jan 2010, 16:16
Rossian,

Re breakfast....

Alternatively, 12 X chicken curry and a sausage roll for the co.

kb661
25th Jan 2010, 17:07
Rossian,
Please check your PMs.

TVM

KB

zedder
25th Jan 2010, 17:25
Can anyone provide kb with a copy of the 42 Crew 3 songbook that QB used to edit. The one with the candle burning at both ends on the front.

kb661
26th Jan 2010, 17:59
Zedder,
Thanks for the steer - someone has got in touch.

KB

thunderbird7
26th Jan 2010, 18:05
QB. Hmmm. I've always been particularly careful not to put my toaster near the curtains since that incident...

BEagle
26th Jan 2010, 19:10
Whilst I never had the desire to be posted to the Land of the DFMB to fly an aeroplane whose crew seemed to consist largely of a gang of teenage NCOs and which probably had more navigators than engines, those who were posted to fly the Mighty Muncher seemed to have loved every minute of their time - and the RAF will undoubtedly be a much poorer place without them.

It is an act of utter criminal folly that a maritime nation is to suffer the loss of its only LRMP asset after all these years. 'Coastal' is an absolutely vital part of the UK's Armed Forces.

Back in 1969 I was on a week's attachment to ISK as a (very junior) Cranwell Flt Cdt. Having flown and chundered copiously for about 14 hours in a Mk 3 ph 3 Shacklebomber, I was sleeping off the experience in the OM when even through my Griffon-and-Viper ringing ears, the roar of the prototype Nimrod MR1 woke me up. I peered out of the window to watch it being put through its paces for the benefit of the press; later at the sqn to which I was attached, morale was increidbly high as everyone looked forward to the new aircraft.

Back then we had Shacks and, not long afterwards, Nimrods in a plethora of bases both home and abroad. Whereas today......:confused:??

I hope the Out of Service magazine will be a cracker - don't forget to include some of George's 'Coastal Clues' articles!

We had many ex-kipper folk on the '10. One Air Engineer, who shall be nameless called J**n G****t, would often have his fellow instructors almost in tears with his tales of the maritime world. One such story concerned an 'hotel incident'. John...oops, sorry, suffered rather from a case of the 'Farmer Giles'. After a long trip they landed somewhere away from base, then held a sortie debrief as there was a senior ossifer flying with them. A Gp Capt, I believe. This went on and on, and JG's itching backside wasn't enjoying it. At all... Eventually they made it to the hotel, had the usual reception mill until finally keys were handed out. JG rushed to his room, threw his case onto the bed, filled the sink with ice cold water, whipped down his flying suit and lowered his burning bum into the water with grateful relief.....

...unfortunately, in his haste, he hadn't quite shut the door properly and it swung open precisely at the moment that the Gp Capt walked past. A few minutes later, a somewhat perplexed captain was being berated for the scandalous behaviour of his engineer "...seen crapping in his room sink!"

Sorry if I haven't got the details correct, G-RAT, but the mental image of the shock experienced by some ponce of a Gp Capt seeing your blissful expression whilst perched on the sink was quite hilarious!

Now back to you maritime folk.......

DFM
26th Jan 2010, 20:12
Once upom a time, honkers was standard fair for all, with crews vying for supremacy of recipe, heat and most imaginative constituent parts……special cookware made to order to ensure consistency and simplicity of preparation. Tapestry food fests at 500ft for 6hrs whilst trying to ensure the honk bags didn’t go near the honkers! Moving on a det and yet more imaginative use of the galley facilities, with lobsters from Brunswick or Bergen and phonebook size (cut into manageable dimension) steaks, all acquired during the halcyon days of “shop till you drop” rationing. We all remember the scaffy bag salads but what about the esky size wallbanger parties, usually post Rum Punch or Dogfish trip. Have seen lots of remarkable concoctions cooked up in a Nimrod galley and amazingly the most memorable never required anything more than the 3rd wet’s finger to check for an even temperature throughout….something definitely frowned upon now…….tis progress, we know. Moving onto more recent times and cakes were regularly made whilst in the hold over the badlands, Birthday parties to boot, and all to keep humour up rather than hunger at bay. A recipe book from the Nimrod galley is an interesting idea to pursue, but I would be surprised if the book run went much beyond all of those who were fortunate enough to be a part of all the good times. Nostalgia isn't what is used to be don't you know.....Eat on……honkers at the hanger party anyone!:ok:

fincastle84
26th Jan 2010, 20:31
I have a fine set of photos of Samantha circa 1984. They were taken after Soggy had retrieved his specs!:8 They would be perfect for page 3.

Miles Magister
26th Jan 2010, 20:46
You could do a lot worse than include some of the 'Then and Now' cartoons which Biff Newman drew, I am sure someone must know where he is now. There were some very good sketches floating around 25 years ago and the book produced by Pyro Nashers and falcon enterprises is worth a read.

MM

The Old Fat One
26th Jan 2010, 21:22
DFM

Top post...you made an old fat guy come over all nostalgic.

Pointy eared one...have loads of copies made and auction at the final bash. You'll make a fortune.

I believe buried somewhere in the loft is an original copy 42 (TB) Sqn song book. Front cover, a candle burning at both ends and the initials "SOMF"...what did that mean again?

Siggie
26th Jan 2010, 21:24
re DFM's post concerning Esky Cocktails:

At the Baia Verde in Sigonella, a junior crew member was instructed to take the esky, which had the white russian already in it (it's got milk in it therefore it's got to be good for you!), and get some ice put in it by the bar staff. He returned with the esky full of ice, the bar staff had simply poured the booze out of it to make room for the ice. Amazing how quickly the esky got filled again, with enough white russian to float whats left of the navy,

The Old Fat One
26th Jan 2010, 21:25
Knock, Knock

FE Hoppy
26th Jan 2010, 22:13
18th Oct 1991
Lilongwe Malawi
Attempting to celebrate the AEO's birthday with champagne cocktails and mustering only warm cold duck and guava juice in the hotel that time forgot. The rest, like all the best tales shall remain in the realm of oral history along with the reason for not getting a blood test after smoke in the cabin and what really happened in Grootfontein.
Without doubt the best years of my life were spent on the kipper fleet in the company of some of the finest men one could ever wish to suffer hangovers with.

God bless the lot of you.

Dave.

cynicalint
26th Jan 2010, 22:43
J**n G****t and the cat episode in Gibraltar; the collapsing of the Gibraltarian scaffolding resulting an the navs broken legs; the broken arm of a not yet but would be starred officer at Rum Punch, when he fell outof the wagon when being brought back to the motel after falling in the newly refurbished 18th hole at homestead golf course; the same detachment when the mini eng stole a train of golf carts started by a ring pull from cans- Gents, you could write a whole book alone on Gib and Rum Punch! thanks for reminding me that life was once interesting, challenging and educational in the broadest sense!

olddog
26th Jan 2010, 23:34
Old Fat One "the initials "SOMF"...what did that mean again?

SONGS OF MARITIME FORCES of course!!!

Old Dog (Capt 42 Sqn Crew 3 1985/86 and still singing!!)

kb661
27th Jan 2010, 16:56
Ladies & Gents,
Thank you for all your contributions to date; it really is helping to make this more of a commemoration rather than a stale history.

One problem now is that my work account is now complaining about being over mail box limits, etc. Could you please now email to Email address removed - Deadline passed We normally use it for 42 Sqn stuff.

The stories are great but I would really appreciate lots more photos from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Please email them at a filesize greater than 250kB (geek speak). Needs to be better than internet quality.

For all the offers of songbooks - please send them in. I would rather have far too manythan too little.

Thank you :ok:

Keith
Email address removed - Deadline passed

QTRZulu
27th Jan 2010, 18:08
FE Hoppy

The Meteor hotel really was quite something to behold!! The it will do a trip back to Nairobi, but then we are going nowhere until its fixed resulted in the best unplanned holiday I ever had:D

Sadly, those days are long gone, but they do still live long in the memory...

kb661
28th Jan 2010, 20:33
Last orders for photos for the Nimrod MR2 OSD mag; all offers greatly received.

Please send them in by Saturday.

TVM

KB

FE Hoppy
28th Jan 2010, 22:02
:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

How the hell do you remember the name of the hotel!!!!!!

I've got a picture somewhere of us having dinner in the Mount Kenya Safari club all wearing jackets and ties borrowed from the 1970s left behind cupboard. Oh happy days.

zedder
29th Jan 2010, 06:45
OFFICIAL ACC (479 FTG SUP 1) CRUD TOURNAMENT RULES

Definition of CRUD:
A team game of skill requiring good hand-eye coordination and stamina played on a snooker or large pool table. The prime goal is to pocket the object ball by hitting it with the cue ball, or to keep the object ball moving a distance of at least six inches. Pool cues are not used in this game. The cue ball is shot by hand at the object ball.

General Overview of Tournament Play

BASIC PLAY
A. Once the Object Ball is set in motion by the Cue (Shooter) Ball shot by Team A player, the two teams' members take turns in the posted order to either:
1. Pocket the Object Ball, or
2. Keep the Object Ball moving on the table, or
3. Cause an opposing team member to miss hitting the Object Ball until it stops moving

B. Play is conducted subject to posted/briefed rules, fouls or errors listed on the attached ACPA rules sheet. Each foul/error is called a 'Life' and is marked on a scoreboard next to the player's name.

C. A Team wins when it has eliminated every player from its opposing team.
Note: 'Combat Crud' will not be allowed during any tournament play.

BASIC SCORING
A player will be eliminated after accumulating three 'Lives' assessed by the Referee/Judge. 'Lives' are accumulated if:
■ It is your turn and the object ball stops before you hit it, or

■ After you strike the object ball, it is pocketed by the next shooter on the opposing team, or

■ You shoot from a position other than the two short ends of the table, or

■ A shot is taken out of turn, or any foul is assessed by the Referee/Judge.

EQUIPMENT:
■ 1 Snooker Table or suitable substitute

■ 1 Object Ball (preferably a striped ball)

■ 1 Cue Ball, called the Shooter Ball.

PLAYERS:
3 Players per team

REFEREE(S):
a) One or two referees may be used. If two are used, one will be designated the Judge for arbitration.
b) All players must go around the referee. The loss of life for interference with the referee is to be left to the discretion of the Judge.
AMERICAN CRUD PLAYERS ASSOCIATION (ACPA) RULES (479 FTG Sup 1)
Ace - The Shooter's Service shot directly causes the loss of a Receiver's Life via a Double Kiss, Dead, or Pocket prior to him/her getting a shot off.

Arguing with the Judge - Only Team Captain's may discuss specific rulings until a "Decision Final" or "Replay" is declared. All further arguments are subject to a Life being assessed.

Ball off the Table - When the Shooter Ball is shot so vigorously that it causes either ball to leave the playing surface and either ball touches anything that is not the CRUD Table, including the Next Shooter. This Life will be called over any other Life resulting from events in that Round, i.e., Dead Ball, CRUD, etc.

Blocking

- The Shooter has the primary right to the table. The Shooter has a right to get to the Shooter Ball without being blocked by the Defender. The Shooter has a right to make a shot. There will be no Blocking of the Shooter's movement on the Runway along the long sides of the CRUD Table. In some cases, the Shooter will need to go around a Defender who is up against the side of the Table. Inadvertent or accidental Blocking, as determined by the Judge, will not be held against the Defender. The Shooter may not hold onto the Defender, but may use an arm or open hand lifting motion to clear Defender's visual blocking (called ECM) of a shot.

- The Defender has blocking rights/restrictions as follows:
■ The Defender may not touch either of the CRUD balls or the Shooter's forearm or hand during a shot.

■ The Defender may not hold onto (anchor) any portion of the Table.

■ During ECM, the Defender's hands and arms must be constantly moving and closer to the object Ball than the Shooter's face, and the hands and arms may not touch the playing surface. If the Defender's hands are swept away by the Shooter, the Defender may readjust and create ECM again.

■ The Defender may offer resistance, but may not use holding techniques and must "give way" without "over-resistance" to the Shooter's attempt to establish position for a shot. The Shooter is only entitled to "take" as much room as is reasonably required to make a shot. The use of hard pushing or hitting with the hands, elbows, shoulders or hips by either the Shooter or the Defender to establish or maintain their position is not allowed.

■ The Player on Deck has no Blocking rights.
Choice - The next player in turn from the team that most recently received a Life has the Choice to Receive or Serve to open the next Round, unless the Single Man rule applies. This is the only privilege offered the Single Man.

Contested Decision - On rare occasions, Team Captains may officially contest a decision of the Judge. The Judge will declare "Replay" or "Decision Final."

CRUD - The Shooter's center abdomen must be within the Foul Lines when making any shot.

CRUD Table - A snooker-type table approximately 6 ft. by 12 ft with 6 open pockets. CRUD can be played on a regulation 5 ft by 10 ft pool table, and a 4 ft by 8 ft bar room pool table with the side pockets blocked off.

Dead Ball - The Object Ball ceases any and all movement. The Next Shooter has responsibility for continued Object Ball movement regardless of opportunity, except when the No Six rule applies.

Decision Final -The Judge's declaration that a Contested Decision will no longer be discussed.

Delay of the Game - When players commit unnecessary delaying tactics, the Judge may impose a 5 second rule to speed up play.

Double Kiss, Dead - This is the only exception to the 'No Six' rule. If the Object Ball is tapped at least twice by the Shooter Ball (usually against or near a bumper), the Object Ball need not travel the normal minimum of six inches. The Referee will declare the shot as a 'double kiss'.

Drop Shot - After release, the Shooter Ball must first touch the playing surface prior to touching the Object Ball.

ECM - Defender's visual blocking of the Object Ball from the view of the Shooter. See 'Blocking' rules for specifics.

F.O.D. - Any Foreign Object Debris that falls or spills onto the playing surface. A piece of attached clothing will not constitute F.O.D. unless it touches the Object ball during play, or it touches the cue ball 'out-of-turn' (Defender only). Whereas it may be necessary for a Shooter to transit the playing surface to retrieve or shoot the Shooter Ball, a player's shoes or feet may not touch the playing surface or bumpers. The defender may not be resting on the playing surface when anticipating a Shooter's play.

Foot Off the Runway - Whenever a Shooter shoots, at least a portion of one foot must be on the Runway and within the Foul Lines. Additionally, one of the Defender's feet must be on the Runway somewhere around the CRUD Table when actually defending, but not required when retrieving or moving into position to make a shot.

Foul Lines - Imaginary lines and planes extending vertically and laterally, 45 degrees through the corner pockets of the CRUD table. Shooters must have their center abdomen within these Foul Lines at either end of the table any time a shot is made. Additionally, a Shooter must have a portion of one foot on the Runway within the Foul Lines whenever a shot is attempted.

Intruder - An unauthorized Player on the Runway. At any point in time during a Round, only the Shooter, Next Shooter and Player on Deck may be on the Runway. The previous Shooter must move off the runway in a timely and unhindering manner.

Lag - Game opening event used to determine which team has choice. From the Shooter End, Team Captains simultaneously release their respective CRUD Ball so that it touches the opposite short side of the table. The ball that returns closest to the Shooter end without touching it or the side rails determines Choice.

Life - The term used to impose any infraction of these rules. The Life may also be called by its proper name.

"No Six" - The Shooter must personally make this call to stop the Round before taking any shot. Whenever the Object Ball is hit, it must travel 6 inches, including bumper bounce, except in the cases of the "Double Kiss, Dead." The Judge will determine the distance of travel based on his judgment of where the Object Ball was last hit. If full travel is less than 6 inches, center-ball to center-ball, the Life is against the last Shooter. If it traveled 6 inches or more, the Life is a Dead Ball on the Ball-in-Hand Player. The Referee will not declare 'no-six', but will rule on its validity once called by the Shooter.

Object Ball - This Ball may only be touched by the Shooter Ball, and must be Pocketed or kept in motion at all times during a Round.

Player on Deck - This player, as the next player in turn to play, is allowed on the Runway, but has no Blocking rights and must remain at least 3 feet from the Receiver/
Next Shooter.

Playing Out of Turn - A Player touching the Shooter Ball when it is not that player's turn or any out-of-turn play detected by the Judge. A Team Captain may stop a game to point out this infraction to the Judge at the risk of a Life. If verified, a Life will be assessed against the guilty player. Otherwise, a Life will be assessed for stopping the Round. Play will resume with the next posted player after the one assessed a 'Life'.

Pocket - Any Time the Object Ball is hit into, and remains in, one of the pockets, i.e., ball-center below the level of the playing surface. The Judge will determine who receives the Life based on the Judge's opinion of whether or not the Next Shooter had ANY opportunity to influence the play with a valid shot. If the Next Shooter had a chance to influence play, the Next Shooter receives the Life. Otherwise, the Life is against the previous Shooter on that team.

Push Shot - Any stylized propelling of the Shooter Ball by the Shooter's hand is allowed, providing the Shooter's hands or fingers are not touching the Shooter Ball when or after the Shooter Ball makes contact with the Object Ball.

Receiver/ Next Shooter - The Defender as a Round begins and the next player after the Shooter at any point during the play.

Replay - If declared following a Contested Decision, teams start from the beginning of the Round in question. Team Captains or designated Players may face off one-on-one, if the Judge allows. Choice goes to the Team that had possession of the cue ball at the start of the Round in question.

Roughing the Judge - No Player may make contact with or bump into the Judge so as to cause him/her the need to regain balance or composure.

Round - Begins with the Service shot and ends when a Life is called, or the play is stopped for any reason.

Runway - Area 3 feet wide around the CRUD Table. Only the Shooter, Next Shooter, and the Player on Deck may be on the Runway at any one time. The (previous) Shooters must, without Blocking the (next) Shooter, depart the runway as quickly as possible after making their shot (except in the case where they are the Single Man.)

Scratch - During Service, the Server misses the spotted Object Ball 3 times.

Service - The opening event of each Round. With the Object Ball spotted on the centerline 6 inches from the Receiver end of the table, the Shooter is given 3 attempts to hit the spotted Object Ball using any number of bumper bounces. Shooter Ball movement may only be stopped by the Judge or the Shooter. Any Service where the Shooter Ball goes beyond half the length of the Table will be counted as one attempt.

Shooter - The Offender as a Round begins and the player with the responsibility to make the next shot before the Object Ball is called Dead or is Pocketed.

Shooter Ball - This ball, usually a cue ball, may be touched or picked up by the Receiver/Next Shooter from anywhere around the table only after it hits the Object Ball. However, it must be shot in accordance with all applicable rules herein. The Shooter may, in order to hit an Object Ball still in motion, recover the Shooter Ball --even if it goes into a pocket-- and take as many 'shots' as needed. All shots must be at the Object Ball and not at other Players. (Exception: if a Defender places any part of his body/clothing below bumper level and in the vicinity of the Object Ball, he/she can be liable for an 'out-of-turn' foul if struck by the Shooter Ball prior to its contact with the Object Ball.) Accidental release or dropping of the Shooter Ball will not be held against the Shooter, unless it hits the Object Ball.

Single Man - When a Team is attrited down to one Player, that Player has the Choice at the beginning of each Round to Receive or Serve. With more than one opponent remaining, the Single Man is afforded full ownership of the table and may not be physically blocked. Only ECM is permitted (see 'Blocking'). When both teams have only one player remaining, normal Choice rules apply and all Blocking rules resume in effect.

Substitution - Substitution may not be made without the consent of the Judge and IAW the tournament rules for player eligibility.

Unsportsmanlike Conduct - When the Judge determines a player's actions or language is unsuitable for the game at hand, the Judge may assess a Life or eject a player from the game or tournament.

Warning - If, in the Judge's opinion, a Player makes a play that is very nearly a Life and the Judge might be inclined to assess a Life if that same play or event is committed again, the Judge may call "Warning on the Push, Blocking, etc."

Wrong Ball - During play, the Shooter touches the Object Ball.

Referee's judgments are arbitrary, capricious, and binding.

fincastle84
29th Jan 2010, 07:32
If played in the company of RNZAF aircrew the players will be fortified by large quantities of 'Purple Death'!:ok:

olddog
29th Jan 2010, 09:22
A Couple of thoughts

Perhaps worth a mention. "Interesting moments" experienced by Nimrod crews

EG. Nosewheel up landing (Ken Maynard 42 Sqn at Manston (as I Remember), Gordon Smith's Flare Incident at St Mawgan, Bob Moore's Main wheel unlocked landing at St Mawgan and Art Stacey's R1 Ditching. All displays of first class airmanship and crew cooperation.

On a lighter note I remember Mike Brooks excellent reenactments of the Falklands Campaign using models in a cut off MS9 containing many gallons of water and a considerable quantities of pyrotechnics! Especially the battle where the Belgrano was sunk a little too close to the edge of the dinghy, which promptly burst, flooding the ante room!

Another Mike Brooks memory was in the Scruffs at KS. A hand appeared round the door holding a cabbage smothered in mayonaise with a fizzing thunderflash embedded. "Anyone for coleslaw?" - Booooom!!! Result 12 deaf aircrew and a mess that took hours to clean up!

fincastle84
29th Jan 2010, 09:54
Same scruff bar with the whole of 42 present, or so it seemed. End of a prolonged Oed:mad: event.

After a massive explosion of DCSs, we supplied 12 from our last sortie, there was DCS covering the walls, ceilings & most of the crews. Steve Mann looked like the abominable snowman.

Henry the Hoover was used to clean up the mess & was doing very well until Bill Speight decided to challenge Henry to a schooner race. Henry did very well until he was sick after about 10 pints. A flood of Tartan & DCS flowed into the corridor.

I do remember being in reception the following morning when a very cross Canberra Sqn Ldr was phoning Ops to cancel his JMC sortie due to lack of sleep.

Later in the day BogH led the 5 aircraft back to EGDG as 'Chough' formation.

I've just scanned Sam's photos to email to kb661. If anyone else wants them please pm me. She looks as good as ever & I bet Jacko still has the flying suit, probably still unwashed!

kb661
29th Jan 2010, 14:10
Ladies & Gents,
Most of the magazine is now shapping up.

I could still do with a few more personal tales. Please include decade and sqn (if not too incriminating!) so that I can put them in the right section.

Photos would be great (again not if they are incriminating).

I have had no song books/crew books, etc. To make the mag more personal I would like to feature the front page of the book and an extract. Perhaps you could take a photo of the cover and a sample page. I could then re-create the book. Scans would be better though!

Thanks again for your posts, PMs and emails.

KB

kb661
29th Jan 2010, 15:06
Mmmh, perhaps "unpublishable tales of times gone by?"

Looked like you guys had a blast back then... :E

fincastle84
29th Jan 2010, 16:16
I've just checked my log book. The party commenced 23 March 1982 & finished in the early hours of the 24th.

We flew our first Op sortie on the 20th. Obviously I can't discuss the details here but it went rather well, to the extent that Jim Morris bought us all a beer!:ok:

A very rare event for a Kinloss Stn Cdr to buy beer for a 42 crew. In fact a very rare event for JM to buy anyone a beer, period!

davejb
29th Jan 2010, 16:56
After coming back from one of those long sorties very late at night/early morning I met Gp Capt Morris in the KS briefing room, he asked
'Are you coming or going'
and, as I never had a career anyway, I replied 'I wish I knew Sir'....

QTRZulu
29th Jan 2010, 17:02
FE Hoppy

I also vaguely recall a 21st birthday party whilst in Grootfontein, tennis at midnight, a crate of champagne from the corner shop and to top it off, BA hosting of the highest order in Nairobi - well almost the highest order:ok:

As I recall, at that dinner the skipper went for the multi coloured sequined DJ that was about 10 sizes too large. I myself was somewhat more dignified in a moth eaten beige suit that had stains I do not wish to know the origin of all down the front - what a sight we must have been:yuk:

J.A.F.O.
30th Jan 2010, 03:41
Best of luck with the book; as Rossian and Not Long Here said can you keep us updated here with how to get a copy and with any end of service events.

Cheers

richlear
30th Jan 2010, 07:00
I have a copy of the book Pyro Nash produced - can't remember what it is called now but could be "then & now"? I can scan & send some of the cartoons...

Cheers

rich

kb661
30th Jan 2010, 18:47
Fellow Kipper Mates,
I am editing the book tonight and tomorrow :eek: with the aim of getting it proof read on Monday & Tuesday. Any more submissions would be appreciated.

Thanks

KB
Email address removed - Deadline passed

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2010, 20:24
Had the pleasure to be one of the OZ pilot exchanges to Kinloss in the 90s. Would love a copy of the book once done if you could send some details. Will the book explain exactly what the AEO did? Could never work that bit out. I think my liver has almost recovered from those back bar chats with Sqnldr William Spate (OBE!!!) about the joys of round engines.

CRU 7 201 (thats the non Homo Sqn (not that there is anything wrong with that!!))

Edited cause I got the wrong f@cking cru number. Where is a good "I concur" AEO when you need one?:E

JimNich
30th Jan 2010, 20:37
Pity, I've only just come across this.

Not Long Here
30th Jan 2010, 22:27
"Will the book explain exactly what the AEO did? Could never work that bit out."

I would have thought that even a Pilot from the West Island would have known about the AEO's Dimmer Switches:ok:

Dimmer Switch
30th Jan 2010, 22:31
As I recall Don, your AEOs mainly had to stop the fat jokes getting from Tac onto Crew intercomm ;)

thunderbird7
31st Jan 2010, 06:39
Airborne Eating Officer - thought that was obvious? :ok:

Ivan Rogov
31st Jan 2010, 07:48
The idea that the AEO only has one job (dimmer switch operator) is both childish and insulting; they have another much more important role.....................

keeping the sun off the Tac screen. I have seen AEOs sit steadfast in their seat for up to 10 hours, this selfless sacrifice has lead to them suffering an extremely high rate of chalfonts. How do they answer the call of nature on these marathon sit ins I hear you ask, well it's classified, lets just say it involves a bag. :ok:

donpizmeov
31st Jan 2010, 09:57
Dimmer we all know real AEOs wear superman outfits. :ok: Hope your keeping well mate.

Now what did it cost if Fiats name was mentioned?:E

The Don.

retrosgone
31st Jan 2010, 17:09
Don

I think it cost 3 weeks in the cooler - followed by a round of port for both Messes, and if you were really unlucky - a posting to 120.

andgo
31st Jan 2010, 17:18
Ah FIAT, I do remember that it evolved into 'Fiat Panda' on one trip and finally 'FIST' :E

FE Hoppy
31st Jan 2010, 17:23
@QTRZulu

ahh yes, midnight tennis with the peace corps if I remember correctly :ok:

and what billy left in the pool in Nairobi:=

kb661
31st Jan 2010, 19:30
Ladies & Gents,
Thanks for all the stories. I have finished writing the magazine. It is going off to be proof read.

Thanks for all your stories. :D

KB

Snorky1957
7th Feb 2010, 08:52
fincastle84, I can't seem to PM you, maybe it is de-selected on your account. I would enjoy seeing the scans and I would bet that there are lots of familiar faces from 42 SQN/236 OCU.

Snorky1957
236 OCU 86-92

PingDit
7th Feb 2010, 09:50
I remember with some amusement when on 42 in the late 70's, the sight of my old AEO Dave MacDonald driving his Fiat 500 to work in the mornings. He used to give a lift to 'Stretch' our 6'6" Nav who would wear an old leather flying helmet and goggles and have his head poking out of the sunroof like a tank commander. Even funnier when he gave hand signals!

Ping

Two-Tone-Blue
7th Feb 2010, 11:07
@ snorky ... fincastle84, I can't seem to PM you, maybe it is de-selected on your account. I would enjoy seeing the scans and I would bet that there are lots of familiar faces from 42 SQN/236 OCU.

I have also tried to PM him. Regret to inform that fincastle84 has been banned from PPRuNe.
fincastle84
Banned... Persona Non Grata

I suspect it may relate to the heated discussions in the Cabin Crew Forum [from which I have temporarily banned on at least 4 occasions over the last month or so].

RIP, fincastle84. I hope they didn't block you IP address; they did on my last ban, so that I couldn't even read PPRuNe.

RumPunch
7th Feb 2010, 19:45
One occasion few years back we were doing a sortie on our way to an airshow in Holland, being a groundie was always interesting in the Kipper fleet , eating, sleeping and boredom 3 things we all got used too.
Anyway we were over the North sea buzzing around some naval ship as they do, I had the head set on and listening to the crew nattering away. All of a sudden as we passed down the Stbd side at what must have been 200 odd feet somebody piped up that the ship had a red flag raised, that was quickly followed by a power up and a sharp exit. Only later on the skipper came down and said red flag means live firing of small arms.

Going to miss them days of deployments and the stories. :(

Starter Crew
9th Feb 2010, 06:32
made me smile to see stories about the mighty hunter here. As avionics groundcrew at KSS and then that "other place", I was fortunate to have had the experience of being on the small team working up the new MR2 (XV236) when it was delivered in (Aug?) 1979.

I think the crew captain was Sqn Ldr Larthe de Langladure (Lat Long...) - one crew and a dedicated band of lineys to figure out how we were going to make the new jet work.

For the first time we were grappling with an ever increasing number of snags on computer systems. Nightmare. That's when we decided to "invent" a new section in the F700 one evening - the Software Fault Log - A4 paper, biro and a ruler... to my utter amazement we didn't get in trouble, rather they thought it terribly modern and ran with it.

Wasser
4th Mar 2010, 10:16
Not Long Here/BATS

I came across an article in the August 1988 edition of Air Clues about the first Polex in May 1988 (naturally, I was looking for something else which I still haven't found). The Air Clues had been in my Resettlement Folder as, having been on AEDIT and responsible for fitting the Carousels, I thought it may come in useful for any forthcoming employment interviews.

As I remember, there was another Polex some years later which may have been the one you were on.

For the first Polex we were going to deploy to Norway, which would have been nice, but it was later decided to fly direct from Kinloss. I declined the offer to go on the flight, on the principal that if I was going to have to spend 16hrs in a Nimrod the least I expected was to land somewhere different and preferrably hot!

Interestly the FIN 1012 INs, dispite the assurances from Ferranti that they would merely "freeze" at the pole, indicated a latitude of 94deg before falling over. The article also refers to using the HP97 calculator, which gave me flashbacks to magnetic strips and trying to program the thing.

The first I knew that the task had been declassified was some months later when watching the ITN news!

pm me if you want an acrobat version of the article.

Yellow Sun
4th Mar 2010, 11:44
I came across an article in the August 1988 edition of Air Clues about the first Polex in May 1988

But the first Nimrod to the North Pole was on 5th May 1988, it flew to and from Bodo before returning to base. The MR2 from Kinloss was a little later.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2269/1553910278_5b2cad77e6.jpg

:ok:YS

thunderbird7
4th Mar 2010, 14:41
The Red Goose strikes again! :ok:

Wasser
4th Mar 2010, 15:50
Sorry to disappoint you Yellow Sun but if I may quote from the 1st sentence in the article:

"at 0100 hours on 4th May the second of a pair of Nimrods, each flown by a crew of No 206 Squadron, landed at Kinloss; this brought to a successful conclusion RAF participation in a co-operative endeavour with two Royal Navy nuclear submarines, which had surfaced at the North Pole some hours earlier."

Perhaps that nimrod was late because someone had earlier nicked its INs :ooh:.

The Poison Dwarf
5th Mar 2010, 22:29
Rich, I too have a copy and you're quite right, it is called "Then and Now", a classic by a real character. (ask Pyro about Lotte's bar in Gib....IF he cares to remember).

TPD

kb661
7th Mar 2010, 08:16
Thank you to everyone who gave me stories and photos for the magazine. The magazine went to press this week and will be available to those who attend the many events marking the OSD of the Mighty Hunter.

KB

betty swallox
7th Mar 2010, 12:30
Good job, Keith!!
BS

J.A.F.O.
7th Mar 2010, 13:29
KB

Will it be available to those of us who won't be able to attend?

Biggus
7th Mar 2010, 14:58
J.A.F.O

e-bay.....??? ;)

J.A.F.O.
8th Mar 2010, 22:08
Cheers Biggus, you're a real...now what's the word?

Oneye
9th Mar 2010, 15:05
Been trying to answer this for some time, but for some reason Firefox doesn't recognise my posts, so here's hoping. Been a long time lurker on pprune, finally something crops up that I can contribute to.
So, I can confirm that the first flight was undertaken on the 3rd May 1988 and was known as Operation Pollinium (sp). How am I sure? I have a certificate in front of me which states that I successfully circumnavigated the geographic north pole, onboard one of two mighty hunters, on that date. The certificate is signed by Wg Cdr Mike Sweeney, OC 206 Sqn at that time. It was almost 22 years ago guys, so OPSEC/PERSEC no longer figures, I maintain. The mission was 15+hours in duration, ably assisted by two friendly VC10's and multifarious DCS. I was a mere ground pounder, but was able to convince the SINTO, my boss, one GM, that we needed a video record. Unfortunately the white balance on the camera was u/s, so everything has a lovely pink tinge. Very apt for this day and age I guess. Halcyon days gentlemen, halcyon days.

James, the plugged nickle.

kb661
9th Mar 2010, 21:15
Fellow Ppruners,
The magazine is primarily designed, and costed, for Kinloss MR2 personnel. If we have spares, which I fully expect, I will try to get them around the stations. Sending them to individuals via the post will be problematic as I have no budget for that.

More details when I have them.

KB

Rossian
10th Mar 2010, 09:38
....Keith, I fully understand your budget constraints, but did not senior management consider that there is a large body of EX-Kinloss folks who will have an interest in the magazine, and who, Heaven forfend, might even be prepared to PAY something towards it? I, for one would. I'm sure I'm not alone.

The Ancient Mariner

davejb
10th Mar 2010, 16:02
...especially given the trawl on here for contributions to it... I would imagine there's quite a lot of stuff in there from people who won't (apparently) be able to see what else is included, which seems a bit stand offish.

Perhaps, at least, there might be a scanned copy made available electronically if the print run if too small to allow past kipper fleet types to obtain one?

Rossian
10th Mar 2010, 18:19
.....does ANYONE know what the arrangements are for getting to the hangar party? Or is that for Kinloss MR2 peeps only as well?

The Ancient Mariner

grizz
10th Mar 2010, 18:50
I for one would be willing to cough up for a copy of the magazine, just reading the posts on this thread brought back many happy? memories of my time on "The Mighty Hunter" both as groundcrew (203) and later as an air eng (CXX)

Not Long Here
11th Mar 2010, 18:01
A pdf of the magazine would certainly be appreciated at this end of the world and is surely not beyond the resources of Kinloss to produce and perhaps place on the Station website

kb661
12th Mar 2010, 08:32
Ppruners,
I want the magazine to get to all those who were involved with the Mighty Hunter. Many of them will make the journey up to ISK for one of the OSD events and will get a magazine there. For those who cannot make it up I have been working on getting a PDF version but that has some copyright issues for the publishers, which I am still trying to resolve. I will also have a number of spare copies for posting.

Please bear with me and I will distribute them as far and wide as possible inside of the resources I have.

I appreciate all of the response from Ppruners. Every one of the direct contributors has been offered a magazine, which will be posted out when I receive them. As a reminder for me can you please resend your name, address and contact number to the email I replied from.

Many thanks

KB

zedder
23rd Mar 2010, 21:00
Just read the Mag cover-to-cover. Top job Keith.:ok:

Shackeng
23rd Mar 2010, 22:49
For the record, it was a CXX crew that landed at Leeming with the nosewheel stuck up. Capt dear old Ken Maynard (RIP) as stated, Air Eng. Dave Bidgood, my golf partner. We all took the p***s afterwards, firstly for not taking out the pressure swing with the DMCV when the front door was opened. Second, for not realising that he could have got the n/w down if he had taken a fire axe to the appropriate hyd.pipe in the hyd. bay. It only took the Engineers' section a few hours to work that out from the manuals!!!:ok::ok::ok:

J.A.F.O.
23rd Mar 2010, 23:56
Is there any way that those of us who have long departed the maritime world could get to see a copy?

XV148
24th Mar 2010, 16:24
I read with interest all the stories in the site and wondered if anybody would care to share aircraft or event specific detail, stories, images etc for a detailed (spare time) book I am putting together on the Nimrod following my book on the Comet with Air Britain in 2002. I am looking to build a very comprehensive reference (and tribute) to the Nimrod and everything about her. Please contact me on this email if you are interested: [email protected] (Owner of XV148)

Frustrated....
25th Mar 2010, 07:05
Is there any chance that an elecronic copy of the magazine can be attached to a post so we can all read it?

Frustrated
Ex 206 Sqn

kb661
25th Mar 2010, 17:32
Ladies & Gents,
The magazines finally arrived at Kinloss this morning. Once the Hangar event is over tomorrow I will know how many spare copies we have. I will post an email address to request the magazines from next week. Please bear with me.

As for an electronic copy I am trying to get a low res version PDF of it but the one I currently have is 190 MB. This is far too big for most email/bulletin boards. There are also copyright issues, etc which I am trying to resolve in and around doing my primary duty. Again please bear with me.

Please watch this space. I promise to post more details next week.

For those of you who gave me photos, stories & dits for the magazine I have put the magazines destined for UK addresses in the post today. If they do not arrive by Thursday next week please get in touch.

KB

kb661
29th Mar 2010, 20:49
Frustrated,
Please don't be frustrated. I have been trying to sort out the who and what elements of what I am allowed to do with monies and cheques, etc. The money will be used to cover postage. Any surplus money will be split between a local charity (at least 50%) and the Kinloss Gate Guardian Project.

It is a 72 page A4 colour magazine. It covers (a brief) history of the Nimrod MR1 & 2 from 1969 to March 2010.

If anyone would like a copy please send a cheque for £8 (UK), £10 (Europe) or £12 (RoW) (made payable to Service Funds RAF Kinloss) to the following address:

Nimrod MR2 OSD Magazine
Flt Lt Keith Bissett
RAF Kinloss
Forres
Morayshire
IV36 3UH

Please do not forget to include your name, postal address and contact phone number.

I have about 500 spare copies so there should be more than enough. I will try and update as necessary. If you would like to check my stocks please email [email address] ([email protected])

Please email for overseas postage.

I am taking a wee bit of leave so they should reach you by 20th April.

Thanks
Keith

kb661
30th Mar 2010, 20:08
Postage prices update:
UK £8
Europe £10
Rest of the World £12

All prices include a charity donation.

All magazines will be sent airmail or first class post.

Keith

kb661
31st Mar 2010, 18:50
Fellow ppruners,
thank you for your support so far. The PMs and emails have been great.

I would like to get all orders filled by the end of April. Please get in touch if you want a copy.

I'm off to the bash now as I have been scrubbed due to weather.

All the best from ISK.

Keith

Yeller_Gait
1st Apr 2010, 01:21
Not sure what happened to a thread on the forum, but TheMightyHunter made reference to meeting Greg Rusedski in Hooters, Miami.

I had totally forgotten about that event, but hopefully it made it into the magazine. I still have a copy of the picture too.

Y_G

kb661
1st Apr 2010, 19:11
Does anyone know how to change the title of your thread? I would like it to reflect the fact the mag has been printed.

Thanks
Keith :confused:

kb661
4th Apr 2010, 12:45
Seriously, how easy is it to change a thread name? Should I just start a new thread?

Thanks
Keith

teepee1
4th Apr 2010, 14:58
kb661,

in Vbulletin you can normally change the thread title by editing your first post. It will depend on the timeout settings used by the administrators though so may not always be the case.

Hope this helps.

Royalistflyer
5th Apr 2010, 04:56
Its just a thought, but with the new MR4 Nimrod likely to be around until 2028/9 - the Comet and its direct descendants will have been flying in active service for 80 years! (there were still civil Comets in the late 60s) - and the Nimrod for 60 years. Quite something.

BEagle
5th Apr 2010, 08:27
...(there were still civil Comets in the late 60s)...

Indeed there were - in fact the last civil operator, Dan Air, flew its last Comet 4 flight in 1980. I was fortunate enough to have flown a few times as a passenger on Dan Dare's Comets in the 1970s; they were a very familiar sight on the UK-Balearic Islands route. And very comfy they were too!

Yeller_Gait
7th Apr 2010, 09:34
Keith,

Just received my copy of the magazine, many thanks for sending, it will bring back fond memories I am sure once I have read it fully.

Good luck for the future.

Y_G