PDA

View Full Version : FF3.6

BOAC
22nd Jan 2010, 20:47
Released today.

green granite
22nd Jan 2010, 21:13
Been running it for a while as a beta and then the release candidate and got updated Monday to the full version. It's very stable and faster than 3.5, the only downside for me is that it has no IEtab add on as yet.

BOAC
22nd Jan 2010, 21:25
No tab but the drop-down in Tools is there (and working) and IE View add-on is still functioning.

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2010, 21:31
I Skype-talked my pal in Ireland through a download today. He's a Luddite, so it will take some time for him to get to grips with it. He was on IE, and rejected Chrome, so all info about looking back into IE will be of interest.

He is still on XP Sp3.

It is soooooo hard doing this when one can't see the screen.:ugh:

At about the time he found he couldn't access his Outlook mail, both our batteries ran out, so didn't put any work into that. Can he still use a MS product for his mail while using a competing browser?

All his Favorites translated into Bookmarks okay.

PPLWannabe
22nd Jan 2010, 21:43
Easily Loose, no problems there at all... although I'd suggest he takes a look at Thunderbird (by Mozilla) if you can cope with the anguish of another remote install support ;)

Gee I'm glad I got out of that and started to play with making software instead:ok:

ryan14
23rd Jan 2010, 11:31
running pretty fast on my pc.

BOAC
23rd Jan 2010, 14:03
Yes - I think it is 'better' at last, but I have not yet looked at memory usage with the new version.

call100
23rd Jan 2010, 14:13
Been running it for a while as a beta and then the release candidate and got updated Monday to the full version. It's very stable and faster than 3.5, the only downside for me is that it has no IEtab add on as yet.
I have it working on mine....Download the 'Nightly Tester Tool' from the Add on page and force the install. It's running with no problems....

green granite
23rd Jan 2010, 14:54
I've discovered that the 'Coral IE tab' works with it. :ok: (I was relying on the auto update to tell me when the other IEtab was compatible as I just rename a copy of my profile and use that with betas.)

Keef
23rd Jan 2010, 15:12
Got it.

Seems to work the same, except that when I open a new tab from an existing one, it now rearranges all the tabs to put the new one next to the one that opened it. Means I have to search the row, rather than just go to the one at the right hand end.

There's probably a switch somewhere to change that, but I can't find it.

And the "broom icon" to clear history etc has done a runner.

rans6andrew
23rd Jan 2010, 18:01
3.6 was released a couple of weeks ago, I installed it then. It still looses the plot and, when closed because it isn't connecting to the internet, does not tidy up behind itself. It won't relaunch because it is still running although it does not show up in the task manager or in Process Explorer. You have to reboot the machine before it will restart. The machine is running Vista though this may not be significant. My XP laptop is also running 3.6 and does not loose the plot.

Rans6....

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2010, 19:12
It updated with "Always show the Tab Bar" ticked. Given my paranoia about things encroaching on the screen, I got rid of it - unconvinced that it did anything more than show the tabs that would come anyway, as required.

Or am I missing the point?

green granite
23rd Jan 2010, 19:59
You may be, depends how you use things. If I'm looking at something and want to google a query I open a new tab (by clicking on the + sign in the tab bar) to do it, that way I can flip between the two. Since the tab bar comes back as soon as something opens in a new tab anyway you may as well have it there in the first place.

BOAC
26th Jan 2010, 08:05
I have just reported to Santander that 3.6 will not access their online banking site and they confirm it is 'not supported' as it has 'not yet been tested' - I asked then to do so asap - a bit slow off the mark? Can still access in 3.5 and IE8.

BOAC
29th Jan 2010, 13:24
Update: Abbey confirm they are still unable to resolve issues with secure site status on FF3.6.

rgbrock1
29th Jan 2010, 13:57
BOAC:

My banking institution here in the States is Wachovia. I do 99% of my banking business on line. Since FF 3.6 I can not successfully access their web site. FF 3.5.x
and Safari work fine.

Thus, you are not alone!

BOAC
29th Jan 2010, 21:32
RG - why not give me your a/c details etc and I'll try for you?

green granite
30th Jan 2010, 06:40
No probs. with Lloyds here in the UK, works fine with 3.6:ok:.

BOAC
30th Jan 2010, 07:20
It appears to be only Abbey in the UK (for me) anyway. As you say, all the others I visit are ok - Abbey say they are 'working at it' an dthat they had issues with IE8 initially. I suspect it is an problem with mixed secure and insecure items.

BOAC
10th Feb 2010, 21:29
Well, here we are on 10th Feb and Santander/Abbey 'boffins' still have not cracked it! Good, or what?:ugh:

FullOppositeRudder
11th Feb 2010, 02:35
I've been using the new version since I first heard about the update from this forum. It's been trouble free on my several XP machines, and appears to be significantly faster loading pages than earlier versions (it needed to be) . All three Australian banking organisations which handle my various accounts seem to have accepted it for routine transactions without any reservations. Count me in the 'happy' list - thus far anyway :ok:.

FORudder

call100
11th Feb 2010, 17:39
Well, here we are on 10th Feb and Santander/Abbey 'boffins' still have not cracked it! Good, or what?:ugh:
I think you may have to look elsewhere for the fault....Santander works perfectly with FF latest version. I have just tried it again to double check. If you are waiting for them to do anything different your wait may be a long one.:sad:

Saab Dastard
11th Feb 2010, 18:56
Are you using any plug-ins with FF, BOAC?

Possibly one of them is interfering with your banking app.?

SD

green granite
11th Feb 2010, 19:28
Certainly 'noscript' can if the site uses multiple web addresses for access control, it will allow the main one but not the second unless you tell it it can.

Saab Dastard
11th Feb 2010, 20:03
Funnily enough I was thinking of NoScript!

For example, I've noticed that it does interfere with online CC payments when the vendor refers me to the CC site for confirmation. I think I fixed that, but I can't remember what I did now.

SD

BOAC
11th Feb 2010, 20:11
That's odd, 100 - Abbey themselves admit it doesn't work! Yours does?

Noscript is greyed out - not compatible with 3.6 folks. I wonder if the LSO plug-in is the issue? Are Abbey using flash cookies?

Anyone else with 3.6 and Abbey?

green granite
11th Feb 2010, 20:58
Noscript is greyed out - not compatible with 3.6 folks
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
It works with my version of 3.6 BOAC.

call100
11th Feb 2010, 22:14
B.O.A.C....No script worked with mine also...I have uninstalled it now as it was more trouble than it was worth....Anyway, the problems you are having might suggest it's your copy of FF that is playing up, Perhaps you should uninstall it again and do a complete new install...See if that works.
Just to reiterate, it worked fine with the Santander site. I even signed up for the more secure login system with it. As a matter of interest are you logging in from the new Santander site or the old Abbey site?
Also, as a matter of interest, Abbey site always told me I was using an incompatible browser, however I used to just carry on and it worked fine....

BOAC
12th Feb 2010, 07:20
Absolute confusion now!

I have Abbey IT telling me there is a known problem with 3.6

You guys using it fine

I cannot

Site tells me I can continue using Abbey log-in, however I will re-register

Noscript greyed out 'cos it had been 'disabled' (doh!) I was convinced I had seen a warning that it was not compatible. I'll go and wipe the blood from my head off the wall I beat it on :)

BOAC
12th Feb 2010, 10:17
Now escalated to an IT issue with Santander/Abbey. Unable to reach the Santander login as the system always re-directs to the Abbey login for business accounts.

Still works with IE8, bless it.

call100
12th Feb 2010, 13:32
Sorry for your troubles B.O.A.C. None of it makes any sense...My wife signed up to the Santander online banking last night using FF. No problems whatsoever.
Are you able to try it on someone else's computer? It's got to be in your system somewhere as I said, it makes no sense otherwise.....:confused:.
Computers eh?? you can't live with them!!!............:eek:

BOAC
16th Feb 2010, 15:32
All sorted now, thanks to the Co-op IT helpdesk.I found I could not access that either. Man there told me to reset FF to 'default' settings - and it all works, with all the old plug-ins there too. Why Santander didn't know that.................... All I'm left with now is no Smilies on PPrune posting box and no access to the icons above???? I'll get there!

EDIT: That's down to 'NoScript' - bit of tweaking to do I guess.:ugh:

BOAC
17th Feb 2010, 07:30
Tweaking complete, but now I discover that Tesco Finance does not allow FF3.6 to access. What is going on? Can it take that long?

call100
17th Feb 2010, 08:45
Do Tesco say not allowed or that you are using an incompatible browser? If it's the latter just percivere and they are usually wrong...:ooh:

green granite
17th Feb 2010, 10:08
Nor does the Amazon site in fact it's never liked FireFox, which is why I always have the IEtab installed.

BOAC
17th Feb 2010, 10:47
"Do Tesco say not allowed or that you are using an incompatible browser?"

View the demo (https://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/servicing/accs_pols/demo.html)
Accessibility (https://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/register_insecure/accessibility.jsp)
Tesco Credit Card online (https://cardsonline-consumer.com/RBSG_Consumer/Login.do?promoCode=TESCO) (new window)
Tesco Business Credit Card online (https://cardsonline-commercial.com/RBSG_Commercial/Login.do?promoCode=TPF) (new window)
Ask a question(new window) (http://tescofinance.metafaq.com/templates/tescofinance/main/mainpage)
https://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/img/accounts_foryourinformation.gif

We're sorry but the web browser you're using isn't currently supported by My Accounts.

Saab Dastard
17th Feb 2010, 11:57
I am using FF2, and I have no problem with Tesco or Amazon, even with NoScript.

SD

Keef
17th Feb 2010, 13:03
I'm using FF 3.6 and have no problem at all with Amazon.

Very odd.

BOAC
17th Feb 2010, 14:06
I am using FF2 - time you updated?:)

Saab Dastard
17th Feb 2010, 15:43
time you updated?

No thanks, FF2 is fine.

When I find something that can't be done I'll consider it. It works right now. It ain't broke.

SD

BOAC
17th Feb 2010, 16:19
Aha! The issue is with 3.6, not 2. 3.5 worked as well.

call100
17th Feb 2010, 19:00
No issues with 3.6 with Amazon or any other shopping or financial site here....If you need to, download this...https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10909
I can't just be lucky...I never am!...So you must just be Unlucky!!:)

green granite
17th Feb 2010, 19:25
If I recall it was a checkout or payment problem I had, But I've not tried it since because I use the IEtab option on that and other sites that show problems so I don't tend to go back to try them in FF.

BOAC
17th Feb 2010, 21:24
A Google of "firefox3.6 and banking sites" shows we are not alone and it appears to be to do with the user-agent string FF sends out. Installing 'User-agent switcher' (similar toi IE tab) does sort it.

call100
18th Feb 2010, 09:52
OK so what is different in those FF browsers with problems and those without????:confused:

BOAC
18th Feb 2010, 10:00
Yes- I wish I knew and I would have hoped there would have been a more proactive effort by banking sites at least to sort this out. It is strange how it seems to vary.

rans6andrew
18th Feb 2010, 15:31
FF 3.6 works with my banking (first direct) on line but it still keeps losing the plot and "stopping" while general browsing. Closing and trying to re-start FF does not kick it back to life as it reports FF is still running but not responding, even though it does not show in the task manager. I have to reboot the machine before it will re-start. I am seeing the same issue with Thunderbird, the Mozilla mail browser. Only on a windows vista machine.

Is anyone else having this issue with FF 3.6? Is there a way of bringing this to the attention of Mozilla?

Rans6........

diesel addict
18th Feb 2010, 15:53
( FF 3.6 locking up and still running ) - I had exactly the same problem when installed under XP Pro SP3 - Went back to IE in disgust.........

green granite
18th Feb 2010, 16:04
Is anyone else having this issue with FF 3.6? Is there a way of bringing this to the attention of Mozilla?

register and report here.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided

BOAC
18th Feb 2010, 16:49
Sadly the questions on the Mozilla forums have not been addressed by the mods. It is, I think, a problem with the organisations who just haven't sorted out the new browser anyway, not Mozilla,

txdmy1
18th Feb 2010, 17:33
agreed
some sites are also not backwardly compatable, no matter what browser you use.
It get's worse where I work, we are still on IE6 :(

call100
19th Feb 2010, 08:56
If FF works for a large majority of people on sites that others have problems with, then surely the problem lies either with the site (can't see how if it works with FF from some!).
Or, the problem lies within the users computer. Either way I would imagine that it would be a nightmare for them to sort out as they have no control over either.:\

green granite
19th Feb 2010, 09:04
I think the problem lies in 2 areas, the people who design the site tend to make it more and more sophisticated using the tools available such a Java etc., and the users are screwing their browsers down tighter to prevent malware getting in, the two are mutually exclusive.

BOAC
19th Feb 2010, 12:45
Tescos are all snotty about it - "don't rush us"...................

call100
20th Feb 2010, 12:36
This may be the answer......Lunascape Web Browser - The World's First Hybrid Engine Browser (http://www.lunascape.tv/)
The web site explains all...
I'm trialling it now and like what I'm getting.....Hopefully it will pass the time test..:ok::ok:

call100
21st Feb 2010, 18:31
Update on the above...I'm beginning to like Lunascape very muchy as a browser...I would definitely recommend it. Especially recommended to those who use IEtab a lot or have trouble with any sites in FF. Switching rendering engines is extremely quick and it even has the new WebKit engine for people to try......:ok::ok:

BOAC
22nd Feb 2010, 10:22
Good call on that - downloaded and in the 'playing' phase.:)

Cameronian
23rd Feb 2010, 11:34
I'm (like Saab Dastard) still using FF2 but (unlike him!) it's due to my own limitations. I tried to update to FF3 some time ago and lost all of my bookmarks. I got them back by uninstalling FF3 and reinstalling FF2 from OldVersion.com whereupon my missing bookmarks were miraculously rediscovered. So why didn't the FF3 installation find them?

It was only about a couple of months ago that I was prompted to try to update once more with the specific assurance that my bookmarks wouldn't disappear this time - but they did so I had to revisit OldVersion.com! I'm sure that you will all now understand why I mentioned my limitations at the top!

Now YouTube says that I must update to FF3.6 but a certain sense of impending doom is gripping me and it's not made any better by the discussions here.

BOAC
23rd Feb 2010, 11:40
Export them to a file?

Cameronian
23rd Feb 2010, 12:02
Now you're going to get some detail on my limitations BOAC! I've been told that but I neither know now to do it nor how to recover them to the new FF installation. Perhaps because of the way FF tidies these things up in profiles and so on, I don't know how to find the bookmarks nor what to do once I have.... That's why I've soldiered on with FF2. I've looked at Mozilla Help, but it doesn't..... help, that is.

Crashpad
23rd Feb 2010, 17:07
If you just download the updated version without uninstalling the existing install then you shouldn't have any problem. It's pretty efficient normally in copying everything over to the new version. Just click 'Help' then 'Check for updates' It should all be automatic from there..
Make sure you make a restore point before starting then, If it all goes belly up again, just do a system restore. Everything should be back to normal then.
Hope you have a trouble free install this time....:)

call100
23rd Feb 2010, 18:26
Have to agree with that...I usually just do the updates from within the browser. So far no problems losing anything..

Keef
23rd Feb 2010, 21:59
One annoyance I have with FF3.6.

In every previous version, if I "middle-clicked" to open a link in a new tab, it would put the new tab at the right hand end of the row where I could find it immediately.

Now, it puts the new tab next to the tab I clicked from, so I have to search along the row to find it. If I have several tabs from the same site, I have to look at them all to find the new one.

'Tis a pain. Anyone know a fix?

call100
24th Feb 2010, 00:03
It can be cured, have no fear....
1) Open up firefox and go to "about:config" (just type it in the address bar without quotes)
2) You might get a warning that this will void your warranty. Proceed with care.
3) Filter the results by searching for 'insertRelatedAfterCurrent'
4) Now simply click the preference until the value changes from true to false.

Then in Tools, Options, Tabs, tick box for 'when I open a link in a new tab, open it immediately'

This makes it go back to the way you are used to.
It worked on mine....No problems:ok:

Cameronian
24th Feb 2010, 18:01
Well, I updated a spare, slightly older, computer from FF2 to FF3.6 and it seems to have worked perfectly. I then set a system restore point and did the same on this machine and I lost all of my bookmarks exactly as I did the last time I tried it. I went into the FF3.6 help section and followed the instructions for restoring bookmarks lost while updating from FF2 to FF3.6 and...... it didn't work. I went back to my newly established system restore point and that didn't work. I went back to the last system restore point which had been created automatically in the normal course of events (which was for yesterday) and that didn't work either. So I've gone back to OldVersions.com and reinstalled FF2 and all has been restored as before.

Can PPRuNe "HELP, PLEASE" work better than FF help etc. has done?

Keef
24th Feb 2010, 18:47
It can be cured, have no fear....
1) Open up firefox and go to "about:config" (just type it in the address bar without quotes)
2) You might get a warning that this will void your warranty. Proceed with care.
3) Filter the results by searching for 'insertRelatedAfterCurrent'
4) Now simply click the preference until the value changes from true to false.

Sadly, in about:config on my machine there is no tag called anything with Related, or Current.

There's only one with insert:
intl.menuitems.insertseparatorbeforeaccesskeys;true

The nearest I could find are:
browser.link.open_newwindow;3
browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction;2
middlemouse.openNewWindow;true

- which may be the one I need, but I have no idea what the numbers do.

Off now to have a play...

Keef
24th Feb 2010, 18:50
I think it's
dom.disable_window_open_feature.location;true which I just changed to ;false - I think it's done it.

Will check some more and report back.

BOAC
24th Feb 2010, 19:02
Cameronian - did you export the bookmarks?

Cameronian
24th Feb 2010, 19:16
From which version and at what point?

call100
24th Feb 2010, 19:17
I think it's
dom.disable_window_open_feature.location;true which I just changed to ;false - I think it's done it.

Will check some more and report back.
Nooo:eek:...Just rechecked mine and it's there....Did you enter it into the filter at the top of the page?
If that didn't work...Scroll down to 'Browser,tabs,insertRelatedAfterCurrent'
It's there with all the other tab settings.....

Keef
24th Feb 2010, 19:23
Nope, that key's not there on mine. But the change to dom.disable_window_open_feature.location has fixed it, so I'm happy.

BOAC
24th Feb 2010, 20:06
My apologies, Cam - I missed your post #60 on the fold of the page. Google will help you 'find' the bookmarks (and 'export' them), and I would guess export from 2 and import into 3.6?

call100
24th Feb 2010, 22:38
Nope, that key's not there on mine. But the change to dom.disable_window_open_feature.location has fixed it, so I'm happy.
What OS do you have? I'm operating Vista and it's there. I checked on another computer and found it there also...
What you have changed has nothing to do with tabs.....it is supposed to Prevent pop ups to hide the menu bar.
Keep Firefox?s location bar on sight | Blue Onion Software * (http://www.blueonionsoftware.com/blog.aspx?p=ab3cc542-539e-4526-82c4-e39ac164b4f7)

Can someone else possibly check on their computers to make sure I'm not going mad??:eek:

Keef
24th Feb 2010, 23:20
Running Windows 7.

EDIT: that triggered a thought! The version running at the time was 3.5.7 which doesn't have the problem. :doh:

3.6 has the relevant key, and changing it has indeed fixed the problem.
Thank you!

call100
24th Feb 2010, 23:48
Phew!! Thought I was losing it there for a moment.....:uhoh:
Glad it got sorted for you....:ok:

Keef
24th Feb 2010, 23:52
I blame my age :)

I think the time has come to stop running several versions in parallel to preserve some "plugins" that I don't use much anyway.