PDA

View Full Version : Genuine query

22 Degree Halo
22nd Jan 2010, 17:34
Hi all.

I have been tasked on behalf of an international amateur radio group whether it is feasible for a helicopter to take this team out to Rockall, North Atlantic, drop them off for 24-36 hours, then collect them again. Obviously all weather permitting.

How much, how likely and how possible could this be? Very grateful of helpful replies :ok:

Similarly, do any of you know a charter boat company in the UK who may be interested in assisting this group if the helicopter route is a no-go?

Tnx!

finalchecksplease
22nd Jan 2010, 21:02
Think they better look for a boat, nearest land I think would be St Kilda but that would be still a 330 NM round trip (not sure but think an EC225 or maybe an S92 could do this ) but not much of a landing area on Rockall.
Maybe the combination of a boat with a helicopter on it would be the best of both worlds. They would need deep pockets to pay for such an expedition unless they get Mr Abramovich to sponsor & loan them one of his fleet.

22 Degree Halo
22nd Jan 2010, 22:16
Thanks for your reply - appreciated.

Abramovich to sponsor & loan them one of his fleet

Something like that sounds ideal and so appealing, but it's where to contact such people.

Any other input is gratefully received with regards the use of a suitable heli.

Tnx again.

Floppy Link
23rd Jan 2010, 10:54
Charter a boat from Burtonport, Co. Donegal. It has been done this way in the recent past. Remember to be sensitive to the Irish claim on Rockall or they might leave you there...

22 Degree Halo
23rd Jan 2010, 11:08
Thanks! Do you know how long ago a charter boat from Burtonport went out there?

Floppy Link
23rd Jan 2010, 13:06
Saw it on telly within the last 2 years, no more info than that, sorry...

XX514
23rd Jan 2010, 13:24
Why not talk to a member of the last team to try it (http://www.rockall.be/)

C.C.C.
23rd Jan 2010, 15:29
It has already been done before. See here - rockall island (http://www.rockallisland.co.uk/) and here - The Rockall Ho! 2005 picture gallery [The Rockall Times] (http://web.archive.org/web/20080319084620/www.therockalltimes.co.uk/rockall-ho/2005-picture-gallery.html)

And will be done again, hopefully, in 2011 - Expedition Proposal - Rockall 2011 Expedition - Nick Hancock's Solo Occupation Record Attempt in aid of Help for Heroes (http://www.rockall2011.com/)

9Aplus
23rd Jan 2010, 15:44
@22 degree

Knowing well all three worlds
-hamradio
-helicopters (heavy one included)
-sea from surface and bellow
can suggest following:

All that is possible but thanks to harsh environment can not be done cheap...

You need one AS350 N3 or even better AS355, with sling (maybe hoist too)
and 40 - 60 m long supply ship with clear flat deck on stern side.

200 to 300k USD budget and also fair forecast included.

To go just with helicopter is difficult because of several reasons,
helicopter must be The real big one, means expensive block hour, can not stay
near, even if it is amphibious one. It is almost impossible to sling cargo and hoist people on same approach, etc.
So combination of reasonably priced small single or twin with supply ship is fair
enough approach to project.

Till you raise that budget come to Adriatic, weather is better and rocks are not
so dangerous.:ok:

ShyTorque
23rd Jan 2010, 15:49
Public transport over water? It would need to be a twin engined heli.

misterbonkers
23rd Jan 2010, 16:57
try PDG helicopters.

They service St Kilda and fly to/from Donegal regularly.

Sweet Potatos
23rd Jan 2010, 17:25
Do PDG do winching? St Kilda is a big island with scope for landing in a few places, but given the size of Rockall and what is there(or not as the case may be) I think Coastguard S92 is the only viable option ...

For a sizeable donation they may be willing to help out! But really ... I'd say its very unlikely.

Boat is prob the only option, but as per the previous expedition video, the landing is hairy at best, and lethal at worst. And trust me, the waves on the day in that video show a mellow summers swell ...

Good luck pal ... you'll need it!!
:ok:

finalchecksplease
23rd Jan 2010, 18:37
Have looked into this a bit more (reading / watching links posted) I don’t think I would like to be dropped off (if it was feasible) by a helicopter without a vessel there on standby. Conditions seem to be very changeable and sometimes big waves will crash over the rock, better to have some backup close at hand.
It’s all down to how much risk you are willing to take because even with a no limit budget it won’t be a walk in the park.
Good luck to them if they will go ahead and try it!

22 Degree Halo
23rd Jan 2010, 19:56
Thanks for all your replies - I have reported back to the guys in Belgium with your comments. I hope to report back soon and let you know how things are progressing :ok:

In the meantime, be great if more thoughts were forthcoming, although I think we've probably gone through the main avenues of landing there already..

9Aplus
23rd Jan 2010, 20:18
http://www.maritimesales.com/images/Others/ROR10-01.jpg

Find there in Belgium something like this....
Proper helicopter than, should be no problem...

Sweet Potatos
23rd Jan 2010, 21:24
Just a thought, but have you thought of Sula Sgeir?

An Island North of the Outer Hebrides where the islanders go once a year to catch seabirds known as "Guga" - a tradtional island food now a bit of a delicacy as it's difficult to get hold of. (I use the term delicacy loosely as it's a definite acquired taste!!)

The guys who go there on the once yearly expedition may be able to help you ... either get there or to Rockall perhaps.

Sula Sgeir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sula_Sgeir)

Just a thought.
:)

branahuie
24th Jan 2010, 21:29
The charter yacht in the last attempt is here:

Home - Elinca - Yacht Charters for the Hebrides and beyond (http://www.elinca.co.uk/)

Heli-Ice
24th Jan 2010, 21:56
A bit off thread, sorry

Sweet Potatoes
There is a taste of Old Norse in there. The Icelandic Sula Sgeir is in the Westman Islands archipelago: Súlnasker (http://www.heimaslod.is/index.php/S%C3%BAlnasker)

The Icelanders also claim the Hatton Rockall.

Sweet Potatos
24th Jan 2010, 22:09
Hey Heli Ice,

yes it's a mix of Scottish Gaelic and Norse. there are lots of places on the west coast of Scotland with similar Norse based names. And it is very prevalent in Orkney, Shetland and the Outer Hebrides.

There are lots of islands in the Outer Hebrides which end in 'ay'(oy) which is Norse for island - hence Taransay or Taran island.

I'm sure Iceland is exactly the same. Bloody Vikings!! :ok:

bolkow
24th Jan 2010, 22:43
Let me see, I have been thinking about this proposition and query. Rockall is as I recall about 260 miles offshore from the WNW corner of Ireland. At first I was thinking block hours on a Chinook or an S53G or somesuch machine then I wondered who would already have a ship with a helipad in the vicinity with access to a helicopter to boot and it turns out that the UK, Scotland and Ireland already have such equipment in everyday use off their shores.
Why not give the Commissions of irish Lights a bell, they have a ship (Granuaile) with a heli-pad on the front deck and access to both bolkow helicopters equipped for offshore and also more recentyl an EC135T.2+ also equipped for offshore operations and in tandem with a ship which carries fuel for it.
The other advantage is the ship is already in the Irish region hence there would be no position trips to fork out for. Just an eurika moment I had earlier whilst sittign in my shed. At least they could advise being pros on those types of operations servicing the soem 15 rock lighthouses off the Irish Shores?

Heli-Ice
24th Jan 2010, 22:49
SP

I'm with you... Bloody vikings!

22 DG

I suggest you do as bolkow adviced but add to your phonecall that you heard of a few Faroese and Icelandic trawlers heading their way to Hatton Rockall. Then they will most likely scramble the ship and heli to serve and protect UK fishing grounds and you might get a free trip to the Rock. Howz'at for a plan?

(As I am a man and a pilot, I have not thought this plan throughout :-))

Sweet Potatos
24th Jan 2010, 23:27
Heli Ice,

I like your thinking ... Greenpeace are another option!! They occupied the island for a bit in 1997 protesting against west coast oil exploration ... :rolleyes:

Off course since the Island is blatently closer to Scotland it would be prudent to call our Fisheries Protection out insetad of the Irish who don't really own the place at all :ok:

bolkow
24th Jan 2010, 23:42
blatantly closer to Scotland? I understand there was a court case that proved it was closer to Ireland back in the eighties.? Bernard Mc Cluskey was one lawyer involved in Belfast I believe who established that in court. Bloody Brits, those guys even think they own the Malvinas, even tried to remane the place!

22 Degree Halo
25th Jan 2010, 14:43
My, you are a helpful lot :ok:

All sorts of leads being followed up now, so will report back when / if something more concrete is apparent. Tnx!

Sweet Potatos
25th Jan 2010, 18:08
Closer to the Irish mainland maybe, and if you are willing to omit 1,186 miles square of Scottish islands in the form of The Outer Hebrides then absolutely Sir, it is closer to Ireland ;)

162 miles from St Kilda - very much Scottish
198 miles from North Uist - in the Outer Hebrides

267 from County Donegal - Ireland
Now I'm just on the wind up and god bless wikipedia for my figures, but I'd say defo Scottish.

We'll be tasking an aircraft carrier to protect it shortly!! :}

(When I say "Aircraft Carrier" I mean Scottish Aircraft Carrier ... and an island one at that ... ie Think 50 ft trawler with a flock of angry - yet well trained - Sea Gulls on board)

bolkow
25th Jan 2010, 19:17
actually when I look at those maps again I get to thinking many of those "Scottish Islands" are probably Irish too in terms of proximity. Its just I cant be arsed to argue the point as probably the other side wont be either due to no oil being present there!:8