PDA

View Full Version : How to FAA to JAR Flight Instructor?

n9537q
21st Jan 2010, 11:55
Can anyone please tell me what is required to become a Flight Instructor in a JAR state? I have EU citizenship, and an FAA CFI/I/MEI/ATPL. Specifically information on how to do it in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland would be helpful, but any JAR country is okay too. Thank you.

ab33t
21st Jan 2010, 13:47
I looked into this before , as far as I can remember you have to do the JAA CPL course/rating and then do the instructor course

S-Works
21st Jan 2010, 15:44
Yep. You have to do the JAA CPL exams and if you want to be paid the ICAO CPL to JAA CPL training and flight test. You then do the JAA FI course and flight test. If you want to teach IFR you then have the Instrument restriction removed by doing the IRI course and flight test. To teach ME you do the ME Instructor course and the flight test. All in all about 70hrs of flight training.

n9537q
22nd Jan 2010, 00:29
Thanks for the replies. I assume that if I do a JAR ATPL it satisfies the CPL and IR requirements, and then I simply do a FI course on top of that? About how many hours is the FI course alone? Are there separate courses for single, multi, and instrument? Anyone know the hour breakdown? And how about a good place to do this, in English? Thank you.:}

Duchess_Driver
22nd Jan 2010, 08:57
FI(R) course is 30hrs airborne, 120 groundschool
Instrument Restriction removal is 5 airborne, 10 groundschool
Multi 5hrs and 15 groundschool - (IIRC - would need to check this)

JAR FCL Subpart H section 1.3 details instructor requirements.

Whopity
23rd Jan 2010, 16:48
As you hold an ICAO FI rating the basic FI Course can be reduced to a minimum of 15 hours flight Training and 30 hours theoretical training. The addons are the same as stated.

redbar1
23rd Jan 2010, 22:39
Just curious to the credits mentioned above, and their origin. Are there different interpretations of this (FCL 1 Amd7) around Europe:

Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.340
Flight instructor rating (aeroplane) (FI(A)) course

(...)

TEACHING AND LEARNING
6 The syllabus is set out in AMC FCL 1.340, Part 1. An approved FI(A) theoretical knowledge course shall
comprise not less than 125 hours including progress tests. Pilots holding or having held a FI(H) rating are
credited with 75 hours towards the 125 hours of the Teaching and Learning Part 1 of the FI(A) course.

FLYING TRAINING
7 The flying training syllabus is set out in AMC FCL 1.340, Part 2. An approved FI(A) course shall comprise
not less than 30 hours of flight instruction.

Cheers,
Redbar1

MartinCh
23rd Jan 2010, 23:40
I originally asked the same, without quoting 1.340.
Since I knew about the allowance regarding Bristow Academy in Florida for JAA FI(H) - which operates under UK CAA approval for JAA training and couldn't see it directly in JAR FCL, so quick peek into LASORS gave answer.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20H%20-%20INSTRUCTOR%20RATINGS.pdf
H1.6 'Transferring non-JAA ICAO FI rating'

Is this FI training reduction only a 'UK thing'?
If so, would UK FIE be able to test someone having done the training in other JAA member state? Considering all the requirements would be met.

redbar1
24th Jan 2010, 05:23
Is this FI training reduction only a 'UK thing'?
Yes, it seems so. The only credits given for ICAO licenses/ratings are regulated in JAR-FCL 1.016/2.016. Instructor ratings are excluded. If UK CAA has chosen to do differently, it is a UK thing, not JAR-FCL.

BigGrecian
26th Jan 2010, 14:05
I've never heard of any school running a 15 hour course - as you still have to cover all the syllabus items. The FAA CFI also in no way whatsover prepares you for a JAA FI - it is completely different! Generally the FAA CFI teaches you to fly from the right hand seat - the JAA FI will teach you to teach.

In practise the FAA CFIs who do the course tend to struggle more than a fresh FI student as the FAA CFI has too many pre conceived ideas.

mcgoo
26th Jan 2010, 16:10
Ontrack aviation at Wellesbourne offer the FAA to JAA conversion, that is 30 hours theoretical and 15 hours flying.

BHenderson
26th Jan 2010, 18:21
An FAA CFI should be just as good as a JAA FI. The issue is probably quality of training and standardisation. In my experience, the FAA CFI is geared towards distance learning rather than one-to-one learning. I suppose that's what happens when every school is offering CFI courses and the student throughput is low.

Holliwood
26th Jan 2010, 21:01
So if i do this course in the UK am i then able to teach in any JAA country such as italy?

S-Works
27th Jan 2010, 07:22
Do you already hold a JAA CPL or at least a pass in the CPL exams?

Holliwood
27th Jan 2010, 08:48
i have a JAA frozen ATPL

S-Works
27th Jan 2010, 09:06
Ah right, you have a CPL/IR with an ATPL exam pass. So you just need the Fi training.

Alex HH
1st Feb 2010, 11:53
So if i do this course in the UK am i then able to teach in any JAA country such as italy?

Almost certainly not. I can't speak for Italy specifically, but in France, you can only work as an instructor if you hold a French Instructor rating. The UK is more flexible - I believe it is possible to work in the UK with (say) a French instructor rating.

I suspect that Italy is fairly protective like France.

Pitch+Power
1st Feb 2010, 21:46
In my experience, the FAA CFI is geared towards distance learning

how does this work in a 152 ??
I picture a student in Florida, with an instructor in California and a very powerful radio.!

:bored:

BHenderson
2nd Feb 2010, 17:57
With the FAA CFI having two written exams, there is a lot more private study that must be undertaken. Whereas under JAR, it is focused more towards the classroom.