PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA

suas
20th Jan 2010, 19:45
Can anyone enlighten me to what is required to convert a JAA CPL/MEIR, frozen atpl, to the FAA equivalent, exams, instruction hours, flight tests etc.
Thanks in advance
Suas

punk666
20th Jan 2010, 20:03
Its simple I did this in 7days in florida last January!

All you have to do is meet the FAA requirements (250nm in a straight line xcountry) and the written exam and there, you got a FAA CPL/IR.

Please note you must hold an FAA IR before training has begun.

To get the ATP then its just the same but I heard its easier to wait till your JAA one has become unfrozen.

A2B Ferry
20th Jan 2010, 20:20
To get the ATP then its just the same but I heard its easier to wait till your JAA one has become unfrozen

It would have to be I guess as there no such thing as an FAA frozen. You have to meet the minimum hours requirement.

B2N2
21st Jan 2010, 14:05
All you have to do is meet the FAA requirements

Exactly, they have recently changed.
10 hrs of Instrument training has been added as well as some other bits and pieces.
Do not underestimate the FAA CPL check ride. Plenty of people fall flat on their face during the oral for lack of preparation.
You still need to meet the requirements and be trained to proficiency.

Read up on the requirements here:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2a0d1c34f9312e071da650cc158dc918&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.6.1.5)

You are looking for 61.129

Tinstaafl
21st Jan 2010, 19:29
<minor rant on>

No such thing as a JAA 'Frozen ATPL' either. It's shorthand for CPL/IR/ATPL exams passed. Since the advent of JAR's MCC requirement some have also included completion of the MCC in the shorthand. Does anyone refer to a 'Frozen CPL' after gaining their PPL + CPL subjects? Or 'Frozen PPL' after getting a student licence & passing the PPL exams? It's all the same reasoning.

It would be more correct to say that you have a 'Frozen CPL' because until & unless you gain the required hours - including the various breakdowns - and pass the flight test, with a current medical, and then apply for the licence issue (don't forget payment...) you will *never* hold an ATPL.

Most of us in the aviation community are aware of what a 'Frozen ATPL' really is and isn't. The problem comes from flying schools marketing their training to neophytes who are led to believe their licence will be some sort of ATPL - when it isn't. I've lost track of the number of people on this board considering learning to fly who thought the school's glossy brochure led to a 'better' qualification than 'just' a CPL/IR, or thought they'd have similar privileges to an ATPL.

<minor rant off>

suas
21st Jan 2010, 19:51
If every one in the aviation industry is aware of what is meant by frozen ATPL, then why the rant!!??? Get a life tinstaafl!!

To the rest of you, thanks for the feed back

Tinstaafl
22nd Jan 2010, 00:36
Suas, if you read my comment again, you'll see I didn't write 'everyone'. But for your benefit, I'll rephrase a little: Most of us in aviation who have been exposed to UK/European aviation training are aware... etc.

Considering your thread topic involves gaining a qualification in a region where 'fATPL' isn't used my comments are reasonably germane. Try telling the FAA 'Frozen ATPL' while you hand them your blue book CPL. As far as they, Australia's CASA and many, if not most, regulatory authorities are concerned there is no such thing as 'fATPL'. You either hold an Airline Transport Pilot Licence or you don't. They will only recognise what is printed on the licence ie CPL. Also try telling a prospective employer who isn't part of 'fATPL' fraternity the same thing - and then fronting with 'only' a CPL.

It matters little to my career. I already hold CAA, FAA & CASA ATPLs. But it can matter to some sprog considering paying a *huge* amount of money based on some school's flashy marketing terminology when they could obtain exactly the same qualification cheaper at another school that 'only' trains for a CPL/IR. It can also matter when the wet-ink sprog tries for a job in a very competitive industry. Read the last sentence of my earlier post again. You aren't the only one who will read your thread.

Considering the above, does that really warrant your insult? Even in my minor rant I refrained from such things. What does that say about you. And how would it affect your job hunting in a very small industry if you gained a less than admirable reputation?