PDA

View Full Version : UK starts 'no-fly' list + no direct routes from Yemen

PAXboy
20th Jan 2010, 15:03
BBC News - Brown unveils new measures to track terrorist suspects (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8470072.stm)

Gordon Brown has announced enhanced measures to track terrorist suspects and strengthen airport security after the attempted Christmas Day bomb plot.

A "no-fly list" is to be set up to stop suspected terrorists from travelling to the UK while other individuals will be subjected to more extensive checks. Direct flights between the UK and Yemen are also to be suspended amid concerns about Yemeni links to terrorism.

(article continues)

ORAC
20th Jan 2010, 15:29
No 10 Downing Street Statement: Measures announced to strengthen UK security (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22206)

sky9
20th Jan 2010, 16:29
At long last this dopey government has woken up to the fact that suicide bombers don't have to have a large security file, they are nothing more than pigeons used by the activists as carriers.

Anyone who appears only any MI5 intercept is of interest and needs to be fully checked before he flies.

Meanwhile the rest of us are subjected to searches that are nothing more than confidence tricks. It's about time someone asked the question "how many bombers have been arrested by the security screening at our airports?"

HZ123
20th Jan 2010, 18:14
I think you will find that many are already here and will be on British Passports - most of these people are aren't they? With an ever open door to all and sundry it is hardly a mystery and much to late to do anything-once again!

lomapaseo
20th Jan 2010, 18:19
I think you will find that many are already here and will be on British Passports - most of these people are aren't they? With an ever open door to all and sundry it is hardly a mystery and much to late to do anything-once again!

I think that there is a huge difference between having a UK passport and having a UK Passport + being on a government watch list

ExXB
20th Jan 2010, 19:36
suspending flights to/from Yemen (which is 2 or 3 weekly B738s one stop via CAI) is going to enhance British security. So the black hats will now travel via Dubai or Abu Dhabi, on two tickets, and MI72 will have no idea where they originated.

Sigh, :=

mary meagher
21st Jan 2010, 07:50
We don't need to worry about suicide bombers flying from Yemen, we grow our own.

Katamarino
21st Jan 2010, 08:02
Stopping direct flights from Yemen...because, of course, that's how this latest bomber worked. Oh, wait, no it wasn't - which moron comes up with this junk? I sincerely hope that the intelligence services working behind the scenes are able to ignore these posturing and damaging politicians and concentrate on the task in hand.

RevMan2
21st Jan 2010, 09:15
At one stage during the Baader-Meinhof period in Germany, security for Lufthansa flights at dodgy (KRT/DAR and similar) online stations was performed by Federal Border Police agents.
An ex-Mossad chappy ran the operation in NBO at some stage in the 1990s.

I can see future traffic rights negotiations encompassing exactly this component