PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation

Aspen20
20th Jan 2010, 06:10
recently had to format my laptop. Now I can't get the damn thing to hibernate.
I've tried all the settings I know, which may not be many, to no avail.I'm running windows XP service pack 3.

The pc used to hibernate just fine before the formatting.

Thanks in advance

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2010, 06:34
Someone on this forum told me how to switch it back on, I'm on W7 at the moment, and am sure someone will let you know, but if not, I'll be booting in Xp sometime tomorrow if all goes to plan, and I'll remind myself before reminding you.:rolleyes:

Bushfiva
20th Jan 2010, 07:19
Assuiming you've not been playing with the BIOS settings, try Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Power Options>Hibernate>"Enable Hibernation">Click OK

If the Hibernation option still doesn't appear, hold down the shift key when you're at the shutdown screen and see if "standby" flips over to "hibernation".

Aspen20
21st Jan 2010, 09:23
Thanks bushfiva.

I've tried that. When I click enable hibernation and the apply, it removes the tick from the hibernate box. Back to square. I don't recall fiddling with the BIOS.

Bushfiva
21st Jan 2010, 10:40
Did you just reformat, or repartition and format?

jimtherev
21st Jan 2010, 14:06
Thanks bushfiva.

. I don't recall fiddling with the BIOS.
Still'n'all, pooters are strange things with minds of their own sometimes. Try looking at the BIOS settings <DEL> as it boots on mine: yours may be different, but there will be a hint at the btm of the screen at boot time.

What you are looking for is (probably in the 'Advanced Config' page) ACPI Enabled. If it ain't then there's your problem: re-enable it. If it's already enabled, then I'm stumped.

Good luck.
Jim

Saab Dastard
21st Jan 2010, 14:38
There may be a bunch of computer-specific drivers and utilities from the manfr. that need to be loaded for everything to work 100%.

Check for a drivers & utilities CD and / or go to the support website and download & install the appropriate packages.

SD

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2010, 19:18
1. Go to your start menu.
2. Type in the start menu "cmd" and right click on it and select Run as Administrator
3. Once open, type in "powercfg /hibernate on" WITHOUT the quotes
4. Close, then check start menu.

Hope this works for you

Aspen20
27th Jan 2010, 11:37
Thank you all for the help. missing drivers the problem

Loose rivets
27th Jan 2010, 17:22
Thanks from me as well, my new install of W7 wasn't hibernating, and I just couldn't find the route I took last time.

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2010, 18:48
Reinstall OS, if change from S1 to S3 in bios.

There seems to be a consensus. Can it be true and What is the HAL?

ACPI Suspend Type. S1 or S3? - Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=552956)

This is a bit of a catch for the unwary, is it not?

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2010, 18:58
The Hal is the Hardware Abstraction Layer. Which is a layer in the system sitting between the physical hardware and the rest of the operating system. It was designed to hide differences in hardware and therefore provide a consistent platform on which the kernel is run.

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2010, 23:47
Thanks for that. :ok:

Got a couple of frightening moments when I changed BIOS things having started from a Hibernate state. It really let me know - in an alarming way - that I couldn't return to the pre-hibernate loaded items.

Loose rivets
30th Apr 2010, 07:49
Has to be coincidence don't it?

Old install hibernate worked fine. Fiddled with files for partition reasons and hibernate not listed on shutdown.

Total format and re-install. B:mad:y hibernate is not there. hiberfil.sys can't be found in a search. Raised cmd level "hibernate -h on" does nothing. Reading through, I tried the / slash above and h and +h just for fun.

How's about this. It will hibernate when power button is programed to do the job!!!

Any ideas how to get it back. Thinking about Saab's BIOS comment, but don't want to jigger this temperamental thing while it's going well.

EDIT Odd...it doesn't say hibernating while shutting down from the button. but it does say resuming on restart. 2:45 AM had enough for tonight.

As always, couldn't resist one last thing

Pressed button. Too quick for hibernate - screen goes black straight away.

Cut mains supply for 5 mins. Turn back on at wall. Fan runs for a second!!

Press start. Menu tells me that windows didn't shut down properly. Mains power must have been keeping things alive till it was cut. Sleep type process. But then Pprune screen was where I left it!

Is this some kind of BIOS only hibernation. It's like a hybrid of that and sleep.

Talking of which.:zzz:

MacBoero
30th Apr 2010, 08:43
If hibernation has been enabled in the Control Panel -> Power Options applet, you can run the following command to make the computer hibernate.

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState

If this works, it should be fairly trivial to make your own shortcut to put into the Start menu to trigger it. Not quite what you're looking for I know.

Is this any help : How To Put the System into hibernation or Standby from Run menu (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555569)

bnt
30th Apr 2010, 10:05
Don't lose sight of the basics, especially the following:
- if the hibernation file (C:\HIBER.FIL I think) is not there, is there sufficient free disk space for the system to create it? You need as much space as you have RAM, since the file is basically a RAM image.

- if the file already exists, have you tried deleting it? Note: it's a hidden file, so you may have to change settings to see it at all. Or open a command line and enter "dir C:\ /a" to show all files in C:\.

Loose rivets
30th Apr 2010, 15:14
Aaaaaaaaah! Turn OFF hybrid sleep.

I had to put Power back to High Performance as well.

How To: Enable Or Disable Hibernate Option In Windows 7 (http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-7/)