PDA

View Full Version : Help with Duty Times

rodrigues
20th Jan 2010, 00:50
Hi Guys,

For some reason, Duty times (Air Law) are catching me out. It's not a difficult concept, but I find myself, when given various questions, getting confused between all the variables (Below 5,700kg, if this then this, if that then this etc)

Can anyone shed some light on any rules of thumb or ways to make remembering it any easier? It's just one of those things that seems to keeps catching me out!

Thanks in advance

rodrigues :ok::ok:

The Green Goblin
20th Jan 2010, 03:09
Wait until you work in a company with many dispensations. It becomes a confusing mess.

Carry a copy of the F&D dispensation you work under or the CAO's in A5 in a A5 size folder with your plates.

Any confusion it's always handy :ok:

eocvictim
20th Jan 2010, 04:12
There is a flow chart somewhere that you can follow and do it enough times and you'll be able to remember it.

Captain Nomad
20th Jan 2010, 06:20
I'm guessing you are at the study stage still? If so, highlighting is allowed in the exams. I had the main rule highlighted and with the same coloured highlighter ran a 'link' line down to the subsection with the 'notwithstanding' clause also highlighted which is at the end. In some cases people would forget the 'notwithstanding' clause because it might be over the page. Think of practical examples of how it would apply to establish the concepts and rote learn the numbers.

Also, clearly separate in your mind 'flight' limits vs 'duty' limits. Read the Q's carefully to know which one (maybe both) might be the factors to consider.

MakeItHappenCaptain
20th Jan 2010, 11:45
Common errors are that you cannot be rostered for more than 11 duty/8 flight.
This may be extended however, once the day's work has commenced.

The rostering of up to 15 hrs (NON IFR) does not mean you can discount the four hrs (min) rest period during the tour.
Example: Start at 8am, go on break at 12pm, restart at 4pm and finish at 6pm.
Four hours and two hours equals six hours duty total?:=
WRONG. 8am to 6pm is a 10 hour day.:ok: The break MUST be included.

Fly for six consecutive days (say Mon to Sat), have day 7 off (Sun) and right to start at whatever time on Monday?
WRONG.
TWO CONSECUTIVE PERIODS EMBRACING 10PM to 6AM means you can't start until 6:01am on Monday.
If you weren't to finish until 10:01PM on Sat, that would mean Sun evening would be the first period, Mon night would be the second and Tues 6:01am would be your earliest start.
(Pickers will notice this would be classed as seven days without a rest day anyway.)

Hope these help for starters.:ok:

rodrigues
10th Mar 2010, 06:33
There is a flow chart somewhere that you can follow and do it enough times and you'll be able to remember it.

Would anyone have the above mentioned flow chart?

Howard Hughes
10th Mar 2010, 06:49
Yes, PM with your email and I will forward it to you!

apache
10th Mar 2010, 06:54
question?

can you be rostered for a 10:55 duty, KNOWING that the final airport(say YSSY) has mandatory 15 mins holding?

IF the company's line is "it is built into the schedule" ... then why do they rush you when you are LATE because you held for 15 mins?