PDA

View Full Version : Asset stripping of hardware.

Loose rivets
19th Jan 2010, 23:09
A local lad has a home built with a FOXCONN A7GM-S AM2+ 780G RT motherboard in it.

580Watt PSU and 4 gig of DDR2.

On board graphics with DVI out (which mine hadn't got till the new card.) This sub-sytem is supposed to be good, but I'm never convinced that Graphics on the MB can come close to a dedicated card.

Anyone had a really good MB based graphics system?

Added to this, he has a 19 LG screen, a big sound system and a Canon printer scanner. The whole shebang is $350 or near offer.

It's so tempting to get this and strip the kit that I need. I would be left with a second computer this way. However, I've never heard of Foxconn, except for what I can glean on the net.

Has anyone had any experience with this maker?

Bushfiva
20th Jan 2010, 00:44
World's largest manufacturer of computer-related components. Makes many of the Macs, the Kindle, all three major game consoles. The integrated video on that board is way better than Intel's integrated video, but it's not going to run Crysis. Good for a media PC rather than a gaming machine. But you can always add a second video card.

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2010, 01:21
World's largest manufacturer of computer-related components.

Ooooo...............Not I thing I've learned, delving around in dumpsters and goodwill stores.:}

One last question for today. ;)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core

Since I have an Athlon 3400 64, I'm wondering just what an upgrade the actual CPU would be. ie, does the Dual Core architecture have much advantage on non-gaming applications.

Bushfiva
20th Jan 2010, 01:30
The machine will probably feel somewhat faster and less likely to bog down. That was a $600 CPU when it was first announced. It's currently a $90 CPU compared to your $30 CPU.

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2010, 04:08
Thanks for that. I'm predisposed to have a go at it. It'll be interesting to see how the graphics drive my 24" 1920 thingie.

green granite
20th Jan 2010, 09:54
Saab, If LR is going to do that you'd better clear out some of the rubbish from here to make room for what is about to follow. :O:O:O:O

(No offence meant LR)

Saab Dastard
20th Jan 2010, 11:33
GG,

I know exactly what you mean! :8

I'm sure it's all displacement activity - isn't there a book to finish?

SD

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2010, 15:16
That's exactly right, and the above cheered me up after my back-up drive failed this morning. Thanks for that.

The thing is, 'What's about to follow' came before I'd even got the darn thing. One has to be careful not to give the Universe too many clues as to how it can best test us.

From Be mindful of what you asks the Universe. (Sic.)

Saab Dastard
20th Jan 2010, 15:44
From Be mindful of what you asks the Universe. (Sic.)

My experience is that you almost always get what you wish for, but rarely in the form that you expect or desire!

SD