PDA

View Full Version : EK airbus captains to 777

emratty
18th Jan 2010, 14:09
I have just heard there will be an expression of interest going out in the next few days for 330 captains to move to the 777. This must be due to all the ULR flying leaving the airbus fleet by the end of the year :{ It seems strange because I would have thought the 380 deliveries would have absorbed enough people. Anyone know if there is any other reason?

helen-damnation
18th Jan 2010, 14:38
I heard it as you have written. There's also an FCN out for LTC's on the 777 due to the same thing.

gotoindia
18th Jan 2010, 16:13
Maybe the 330 is now the base aircraft. If you expect to be a 777 or A380 Captain going forward, plan to be a 330 Captain first. That way, you can gain command experience on a smaller widebody aircraft, prior to assuming command on a large widebody aircraft.

There was a time that this was the natural order of progression as a pilot. Small aircraft first, big aircraft second. Emirates hypergrowth distorted the reality for a period of time. Just have a look around Dubai and it's easy to see that double digit annual growth doesn't last forever, regardless of what you may have been told.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the UAE cadet pilots gradually moved to flydubai, that kind of experience may even do them some good.

Hook
18th Jan 2010, 20:15
gain command experience on a smaller widebody aircraft, prior to assuming command on a large widebody aircraft.

what a load of codswallop

EK_Bus Driver
19th Jan 2010, 05:09
Have to agree also. Complete CR@P! Gotoindia.

Is this a wind up or are you serious?

desertflyer
19th Jan 2010, 05:32
Codswallop? Don't know what it is, but it sure has a nice ring to it.......and I do agree! BIG CODSWALLOP!!:ok:

Oblaaspop
19th Jan 2010, 09:33
Indeed, GotoIndia clearly has not a clue!

The A345 (on which just about every EK A330 skipper is rated on and operates) weighs about 20t more than the heaviest B777 (372,000 kgs to be precise) or roughly the same as a 'classic' B747.

You wouldn't say that was small if it taxied over your foot (or the 230t A330 for that matter)

Numpty!

Hook
19th Jan 2010, 10:14
Codswallop? Don't know what it is, but it sure has a nice ring to it.

Meaning of codswallop: nonsense, balderdash

If you don't know the meaning of balderdash, google it!:p

Duh
19th Jan 2010, 11:55
I like that line..... Hey baby, you gotta nice "smaller widebody" :ouch:

Volverine
19th Jan 2010, 13:15
Any good reason for that ?

gotoindia
20th Jan 2010, 16:40
Wow, I thought this is a forum for rumor and opinion, so fast to start mudslinging.

I stand corrected, the 345 is a large widebody.

Here we go again, I believe the 330 will become the base aircraft. First upgrade will be there, regardless of past practice. 777, 345, 380 upgrade to come later.(777 now smallest of the big iron)

From Aviation Photos, Airline Fleets & more - Just Aviation - Planespotters.net Just Aviation (http://www.planespotters.net), the 8 EK 343's are between 11.3 and 13.6 years old. They will likely be chocked in their final parking spots long before most of the 1000 or so F/O's see the left seat.

I also believe that any recent cadet will go to the left seat at flydubai prior to the left seat at Emirates.

GTI:)

Wizofoz
21st Jan 2010, 02:23
Believe all you want, but it is precisely that- a belief not backed up by any evidence or, for a lot of it, any particular logic.

Company policy is still against transition upgrades, so it would take a fundamental (AND nonsensical, AND cost prohibitive) change in policy before 777 F/Os would upgrade onto anything but the Boeing. Why would you think the company would do something counter-productive that is also cost- prohibitive? Just 'cause the 330 weighs a bit less doesn't make it any easier a transition, or less demanding a job once you're there.

330/340 MFF is a very cost effective tool, so don't expect it to be abandoned. we will have 330 pilots and 330/340 pilots as long as we have 340s.

It would be great if the Cadets went to FD initially and gotta a whole lotta sectors under their belt, but there is not the slightest indication this will happen. It is an entirely separate company with its' own growing pains and, in the current climate, who knows if it will remain in the same ownership as it is currently?

As to Ex-Cadets going there for command, why? Once through the program, the Nationals are FOs like anyone else, and subject to the same rules and standards when it comes to upgrade.

There are currently vacancies for Airbus Pilots to come to the Boeing because of an increase in ULR flying on the Boeing and a reduction on the Airbus. The company is trying to "Un-defer" 777 deliveries to make up for the delay in 380s and is deploying 777s on ex-340 ULR routes with the requirement for heavy crews and therefore more 777 rated pilots. Period.

Looking for sub-text policy changes because of a simple shift in fleet requirements is a little fanciful.

Saltaire
22nd Jan 2010, 13:11
Could someone explain the relatively junior AB captains on transfer, specifically on the first course in Feb? This company is a complete joke. Zero accountability and fairness. Temporary protocol? My a@@, the complete lack of organization and planning. Those guys bring flowers to the fleet office on the right day? Under the surface this place is a clown show :rolleyes:

White Knight
22nd Jan 2010, 13:24
Bang out of order:=:= Methinks there'll be a few e-mails inbound to the office:ugh:

gehenna
22nd Jan 2010, 13:25
Hi Saltaire

Where have you seen AB Capts going onto the B777 in Feb? There is no sign of this on the portal.

Thanks

Volverine
22nd Jan 2010, 13:36
Do you think the portal is a reference ?
You are far from reality.
The upgrade "gambling" is open and those who play it well will win.
Flowers, chocolates, wisky, all kind of gift are welcome...BJ
Yes this is it now in EK

Saltaire
22nd Jan 2010, 14:01
It's on the portal, have a look...

Seniority doesn't count for much of anything in this company but for fu*k sake's, can it at least count for internal transfers? Seems to be followed on other fleets. This place is a joke, the fleet admin on the AB is useless. What kind of a@@ kissing is required? Please pass it on Feb transfers...

H1N1
22nd Jan 2010, 16:25
Hook, that was pretty much the policy in times long gone; but it happened.

H1N1
22nd Jan 2010, 16:32
Hook, is it like fiddle-faddle or blather? :}

kanuck33
22nd Jan 2010, 16:38
Went looking for it as well. Couldn't find it where they said it would be. Wierd.

Can anyone PM me the details or where to find. If they are still on the portal

H1N1
22nd Jan 2010, 16:49
Volverine, don't forget the dates ...

fatbus
22nd Jan 2010, 16:55
More AB Dec's going to the 777, I guess it pays to know the right people ( ED and AL) buddies

I heard if you were not in Dubai when they called too bad, what a joke, I'm just glad not interested in the 777.

Sorry to the guys getting shafted

Schnowzer
23rd Jan 2010, 02:21
When they have transferred in the past as well as using seniority they have also looked at training datums so that there is not a massive spike in recurrent training on the remaining fleets. That may explain the perceived lack of seniority. Haven't looked at any transfers but I would suggest the ones that are tagged for Feb have been in the pipeline since before the new expression of interest.

Saltaire
23rd Jan 2010, 06:59
Perceived lack of seniority?? How about an outright lack of seniority. Many people from the "pipeline" are well ahead of these individuals on the older list. It's just wrong. Every man for himself Schnowzer

theidler
23rd Jan 2010, 09:40
It was a rush job. It says exactly that in the letter attached to the course list. They promise that future courses will follow the normal eligibility criteria. Whatever they are.

The Training Datum has something to do with it. Seems they transition people coming up for their bi-annual PPC before seniority is considered to save the cost of a PPC. Don't think that's the official line (massive spike, apparently) but that's what appears to happen.

mensaboy
23rd Jan 2010, 10:05
In the past EK retained previous 'bids' by pilots. In other words, if you were listed on the last Triple7 Bid and did not receive it, you would automatically be placed ahead of subsequent bids by pilots who might hold a higher seniority than you do.

Whether or not this policy is wise, is debatable. I'm not sure if this is what has happened this time around but it might explain most discrepancies. (other than the 'admitted' lack of seniority consideration for the first courses in February)

twieke
24th Jan 2010, 08:19
Not much point in complaining here. Start sending emails to everybody in management if you are bypassed on that list. Not that there is much point in doing that either, but at least you gave it a try and maybe, just maybe...it'll help. If not now, maybe later on. The more emails they get, the better.

Regards,

T

Mister Warning
24th Jan 2010, 08:57
Or just go to the 380 or 350 for the less senior (ie less fortunate). :}

Saltaire
26th Jan 2010, 12:43
Might as well call it "Random Expression of Interest List"

What a sorry excuse for a seniority based transfer list. One big joke. Hope the guys on course feel good about jumping the queue :=

Nope, crew morale is great, we don't see an issue says management.

Payscale
26th Jan 2010, 12:45
When does the list close?

johnnyramjet
26th Jan 2010, 15:47
Hope the guys on course feel good about jumping the queue :=

Why should they feel bad with all the queue jumping that has been done to them, ie, DEC's, excelerated commands, 777 upgrades before AB, they should go for it.
Don't get me wrong, I am one pissed off senior AB pilot that has been by-passed. This will cost the company more in the end.

johnnyramjet
26th Jan 2010, 15:50
Payscale, The closing date for the next wish list is 07th Feb 2010 for a March class. Good luck.

Saltaire
27th Jan 2010, 01:45
Johnny, you can sugar-coat it all you like and justify, the fact is it's wrong and out of turn. Period.

Volverine
27th Jan 2010, 07:35
Everything has a cost

johnnyramjet
27th Jan 2010, 14:43
Saltair, put the drink down and re-read my post, there ain't no sugar coating.:ugh: I agree that it is wrong, and it is the company I blame.

This is Emirates. It has always been this way and always will. Management love to piss us off.

So true Jimal.

Saltaire
28th Jan 2010, 00:46
I agree they should not be given the option but there is an ethical component to the issue. DEC's etc are a known quantity and have been part of the operation for almost 6 years now. This is a little different. There is a cold hard seniority list of interest, is it asking too much to follow it? This is part of why things will never be great here and division among the group will prevail, every man for himself. Enjoy.

fatbus
28th Jan 2010, 07:37
They have never followed the list so why would they now. Dec's have been apart of EK for a lot longer than 2003.