PDA

View Full Version : Navair at YSBK

ashmitey
18th Jan 2010, 04:16
Does anyone know the history of the demise of Navair at YSBK and its old owner, FY?

woki
18th Jan 2010, 06:29
I hope this sheds some light. Navair were taken over by CAS in about mid 2003 and operated out of the old Navair hanger which CAS rented off FY as he held the lease from BAL (and still does i believe). In about 2004 they were sold and began operating as SFTC and until very recently had been operating from the same hanger until they went into administration and are now operating out of remote nsw.

As for FY, not sure what he is up to, though I know he ridded himself of a few of the old warriors and archers a short time after he sold navair.

ashmitey
18th Jan 2010, 06:53
But why did CAS take it over. Did he go out of business leaving alot of people out of a pocket?

LeadSled
18th Jan 2010, 13:51
Folks,
Frank was only a minor shareholder in the final iteration of Navair.
The answer to the last part of this question is no.
The successor, already mentioned here, was a different kettle of fish.
Tootle pip!!

Critical Reynolds No
18th Jan 2010, 21:30
Belinda..............?:cool:

Fugoidfever
19th Jan 2010, 00:24
Married Morgan.......

Aye Ess
19th Jan 2010, 02:40
Dear old Navair.....I did my Class 1 instrument rating (today called CIR) & C310R endorsement with Ray Clamback December 1978.
In their hanger was a beautiful new Baron owned by a young man called Richard,no,no....Dick Smith. You may have heard of him.
If I remember correctly,Navair was owned by a Hazelton;maybe another old Ppruner can add to the history.

FourStar
19th Jan 2010, 03:11
I did my private License with Navair in 1963 with Ken May CFI and owner.

LeadSled
19th Jan 2010, 05:33
Folks,
Jim H. took over Navair after Ken May was killed in a spectacular suicide by a pilot. After Jim had serious health problems, Frank and his team turned up running the show.
After Frank departed, it was all downhill.
Tootle pip!!

Atlas Shrugged
20th Jan 2010, 01:23
As for FY, not sure what he is up to,

Not entirely sure, and I'm probably wrong, but I think he's out Cudal way or somwehere near Orange. He used to own an T-tail Arrow VH-KBD (Kill a Brown Dog) it think, which everyone used to hate, but I liked it. It was recently for sale in Vic.

Fantome
14th Feb 2010, 17:36
LeadSled

Jim H. took over Navair after Ken May was killed in a spectacular suicide by a pilot.

You sure? Ken speared in up Dural way on a photo job. Ended up in a quarry? He was ex RAN. Could he make those big beasts of Illawarra talk! Will talk with Jim and clarify.

tinpis
14th Feb 2010, 20:20
Dick S had a Twin Comm in the hangar when I did my IR at Nav
Got through IR thanks to nice Q cadet instructor chap:ok:

Young was the senior instructor
Clambach had an earthmoving business?

LewC
14th Feb 2010, 23:15
That Twin Comanche was VH-DIC.It was distinguished by having a very large color painting of the owners head on the tail fin.Ray Clamback owned a mobile crane business.