PDA

View Full Version : Training in Australia

Donegal Dan
18th Jan 2010, 00:55
Hi guys. Does anyone out there have any advice or experience on training in Australia?

Mach E Avelli
18th Jan 2010, 03:57
If you are in Europe and wish to fly in Europe, make sure you choose a school that can issue a licence that will be recognised there. The Aussie CASA licence is not recognised in many countries unless you do a conversion which can be a costly add-on when you get back home.
I won't go public with my opinions on schools, but PM me if you want some recommendations. For legal reasons I won't tell you which ones to avoid.

duggie1979
18th Jan 2010, 07:55
Hi, i am training in Parafield, just north of Adelaide.
The first part of the training is done in a Diamond DA 20 . For navagational flying it will be either a Piper PA28 or a Cirrus , depending on how much you want to spend.Obviously the Cirrus will be more expensive.
So far its all been good experiences , the weather is pretty reliable here although it does get hot!Very hot.
Are looking to get a CPL or just a PPL? If you do a CPL here and want to fly in JAA land commercialy,then you will have to sit all ATPL subjects there,i think this is the biggest part of the conversion.
If its a PPL your after then you will have to sit a human performance and air law exams to convert.
I have choose to train in oz (for at least PPL) for a couple of reasons :
1. It takes much less time as it would in Ireland or the UK, due to better weather, aircraft availability, ect.
2. It is slightly cheaper than home.
That is the main reasons behind the decision.
I am considering staying on here in oz and completing a CPL, with the foresite of getting flying work here for a few years,eventually return home, doing the conversion to JAA, and find a job in JAA land.:)
PM me for any other info.
Duggie.

G-FULL
18th Jan 2010, 10:09
Duggie, would you happen to know how much does it cost down there?

Cheers,

duggie1979
18th Jan 2010, 21:54
I am expecting the PPL to cost around $14k AUD. I will have a better answer for you when i finish :)

G550-PIC
20th Jan 2010, 14:02
Hi,

Please , who has any information about Basair Flying school in Australia.I've been to their website and its very impressive.Thinking of applying - can anyone advise me on it.

I heard Australia pilot training curriculum is similar to the uk standard. Is it true.

Homesick-Angel
20th Jan 2010, 14:27
My suggestion would be to pick the city(or town) you want to live in, and then go and do your research.Its a pretty big investment and you dont want to make a decision from a long way away and then turn up and realise it wasnt the right one..Come over and have a good look.

There are plenty of good schools in Aus and some Sh1t ones as well.I personally wouldnt put a large sum of money on the table all at once even if they tell you that you can get a discount....You just dont know what can happen down the track.

Most people do their training in GAAPs, but dont rule out getting a good flying education from a smaller school/airport in a regional area as you can get much more air time and a more personal service than some of the larger schools..

If you want a few specific recommendations feel free to PM me

Good luck

Charlie Foxtrot India
20th Jan 2010, 14:42
If you are planning on flying in Europe, don't bother with the Australian CPL. It is only worth doing that if you can live and work here, otherwise expensive conversions as mentioned.

Do the PPL here and build up to 175 hours , then go back to Europe and do the exams and modular course there in the environment you will be flying in. You will save a fortune doing it this way.

roycejee
17th Mar 2010, 02:22
greetings,studying in australia or malaysia is better ? im a malaysian and the flying schools says that if i do go there i would still need to go back to malaysia and re do my frozen atpl, including i have to pay more and still have to sit for exrtra paper like the 'JAR'... im currently not so sure i hope you can assist me in this in your opinion what should i do ?

Delta Oscar Charlie
19th Mar 2010, 23:17
Hi Donegal Dan,

Just saw your post today so maybe its a bit late but heres my story.. I'm Irish, was doing some flying at home and decided to move to Australia to live and work here and said I'd do my cpl here.

I have Australian residency so its pretty ok for me over here but if you just come over on a student visa or that its a lot more difficult. The cost of living and of flying is increasing here all the time and with the euro being so weak it makes flying at home as cheap. Assuming of course that its euro you have to spend!

I realise that there are cheaper aircraft out there but I'm basing these figures on 172 or a piper. Its around 190 to 220 dollars per hour solo for a c172 here plus landing fees which is normally around 15 dollars.. when your duel training its around 250 to 270 per hour plus landing fees.

If you need theory and pre flight instruction over here some schools will charge you 50 -60 dollars per hour on top of that.

The above prices are not including GST or VAT as if you enrole on the 150 hr CPL course its gst free, if not then stick 10% on top of everything plus its 200hr minimum

My advice is unless you are moving to oz for more than just flying then don't do it. Check out Atlantic air in Cork , its a great school, the prices are similar to here but with far newer aircraft than most schools use over here and they do good ground schools and can take you from 0 to atpl there, throw in some hour building in Florida and your away..

My own situation is I have my Oz PPL now, and all my commercial exams passed.. have to do about another 90 hours flying for my CPL after that I'm going to do my MECIR here and then I'll either do the OZ atpls or the JAR atpls but it will depend on where I'm living further down the line. If I do the JAR ones all I have to do is sit the CPL flight test again in Europe and they issue you a conversion to JAR CPL.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but you should way up all the pros and cons before you move.. factor in all your costs living expenses , flights, visas, medical's etc etc and then do the same for Ireland and see how you get on. If money isn't the issue then by all means come on over coz the weather is great, the beer is cheap, the natives are friendly and the flying is incredible.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide

DOC

Piltdown Man
20th Mar 2010, 20:13
I blagged an Aussie CPL a few years ago. The school I was with was based in Jandakot in Perth. The "was" is the interesting bit as many schools don't last that long, so watch out for who has your cash. The aircraft we were flying were a bit old and jaded but were serviceable. The flying was excellent and we took full advantage of the opportunity to combine flying hours so we could get to see some of the place. The school was well equipped and the instructors were, by and large, excellent. Perth was certainly a fun place to be and apart from the shag of converting the licence (Aussie CPL to UK F/ATPL), it was something I'll never regret. So I'd suggest that if you can solve this last bit, it should be a place you should consider.

PM