PDA

View Full Version : Airline Career in India for NRI's ?

kingfisher2
17th Jan 2010, 17:52
Hi to All ,

I'm hoping I can make some contacts in the India airline industry. I am an NRI , flying in the UK for a reputable UK airline. Hold JAA ATPL with 2500hrs, 2000+ on Turbo-prop.

Can anyone give some friendly advise on my eligibilty to work in India and the prospects for some one in my position looking to establish a long term future for me and my family in India. My extended family are in India & my wife is an Inidan Citizen. I qualify for POI status.

Appreciate that there are very many good Indian CPL holders looking to their establish their own careers - so do not want to offend anyone - just seeking some friendly advise.

Will be in India later this month - any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers :ok:

av8r76
18th Jan 2010, 05:05
Step one: Get your Indian ATP.

Thereafter you will be a shoo in in pretty much any airline in India.
With your experience level you should have no problem getting your resume at the top of the pile.

As far as your status, I would recommend OCI... lot less hassles. This gives you the ability to work here indefinitely with no restrictions.

Be prepared to make a lot of trips as dealing with the 'gaurmint affishals' is quite tedious and time consuming.

Good luck.

kingfisher2
18th Jan 2010, 09:28
Many Thanks for the info.

I'll give the DGCA a call or even see them when I am in Delhi.

Thanks

kingfisher2
18th Jan 2010, 10:03
Following on from my original post is are there any crew who would be willing to meet with me when I visit India just for chat on what it is like to be airline pilot in India.

Will be in Mumbai, Surat, Delhi & Ahmedabad.

Many Thanks

GlueBall
18th Jan 2010, 10:28
Check your physical condition, because at places like DEL and BOM you'll be choking on severe pollution, dust, smoke, carbon monoxide, not to mention the stench and filth. Total health hazard and a quality of life issue. :eek:

Dagar
18th Jan 2010, 19:07
kingfisher2 dont listen to goofballs comments,the salary will be a lot better.Airlines like K.F. and Jet are paying +$13000/month,housing and other benefits to ATR captains.There is no way in hell you are gonna make that kind of money anywhere in the world flyin turboprops.

And as a foreign citizen with an OCI you will be able to fly with your present lisence(no need for any conversion exams)but get your OCI it will take only 30-40 days for that.

kingfisher2
18th Jan 2010, 20:12
Thanks Dagar and Glueball,

Both your comments are appreciated - I am looking at hopefully a long term move and quality of life,education, etc for my family is obviously important - so all the comments are usefull.

Thanks