PDA

View Full Version : Training in New Zealand

left_clear_right_cle
17th Jan 2010, 17:43
Evening Guys

This is my first post and hopefully you guys are the ones who can help me.

I will be gaining my JAR PPL from the UK very soon.

I am thinking of doing my CPL / Frozen ATPL in New Zealand.

Can you please suggest schools that:

Follows the JAR syllabus.

Recognised in the International Aviation Industry.

And also if I need to change from JAR to JAA what do I have to do and its financial implications?

You comments shall be highly appreciated.

Thank You

minimum_wage
17th Jan 2010, 19:16
I don't believe you can do JAA licence in NZ except with CTC. You can do JAA UK licence in Perth.
Someone may know more on this, but I thought JAR is the regulating authority and JAA the aviation authority. You do the syllabus according to JAR to get a JAA licence.

WA Aviation College (http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/courses/JARIntegrated/index.asp)

c100driver
18th Jan 2010, 06:26
No such thing as a frozen ATPL in New Zealand.

You do the subjects and they expire in five years if you have not completed the flight test by then.

Flight test must be in approved aircaft such as C421 or any turbine.

empacher48
18th Jan 2010, 06:46
ATPLs expire in 10 years except for Law, which lasts only 5.

Abu Bebo
19th Jan 2010, 13:00
Since left_clear_right_cle wants a JAA licence, this is hardly relevant. You can do a NZCPL and JAA ATPL groundschool (Bristol, maybe) via distance learning, then convert your licence to JAA back in the UK.
FLying in NZ is fun and rewarding with great scenery (especially mountain-flying in the South Island) but if you want to work in Europe, consider training in Europe in order to maintain a good network.

A.B.

Oktas8
20th Jan 2010, 08:16
CTC is the only JAA school in NZ. The West Australian college mentioned above does JAA training, but I think does not offer any JAA IR training (unlike CTC). There is at least one school in Victoria Australia that offers JAA training (under Swedish CAA I think) but again not IR training.

JAA - the regulator (actually the group of Authorities that collectively make the rules).
JAR - the rules made by the regulator.

Apu Bebo offers very good advice.

As an aside, the JAA "frozen ATPL" is exactly the same what might be called a frozen ATPL in NZ. With a CPL/IR and the exam passes, there is a time limit to gain the ATPL, there is a test (usually done as part of an airline proficiency check) and there is a minimum experience requirement. The numbers are different but the concept is similar.

Cheers,
O8

c100driver
20th Jan 2010, 18:26
As an aside, the JAA "frozen ATPL" is exactly the same what might be called a frozen ATPL in NZ. With a CPL/IR and the exam passes, there is a time limit to gain the ATPL, there is a test (usually done as part of an airline proficiency check) and there is a minimum experience requirement. The numbers are different but the concept is similar.

No it is not, a frozen ATPL means that you have all the subjects and are just gaining the required experience before applying to "un freeze" and gain the ATPL licence proper.

In New Zealand you must sit and pass a specific ATPL flight test, it is usually not done as "part" of a proficiency check. NZ CAA has a flight test manual that outlines what is to be covered in the flight test. The check must be done by an airline flight examiner with ATPL flight testing approval. Large operations (Air Nelson, Air NZ etc) can have specific flight test profiles that differ from the flight test standards but they are done through a letter of understanding agreement with CAA, but if you work for those operators then this whole disussion is irrelevant.

If you don't work for an operator with ATPL approvals you will have to find an operator that has a part 141 approval. It can be done outside an airline part 125,121 or 141, but the number of approved aircraft and authorized flight examiners is very limited, and the cost is very high.

Oktas8
20th Jan 2010, 22:39
Now how did I know that someone would argue...

a frozen ATPL means that you have all the subjects and are just gaining the required experience before applying to "un freeze" and gain the ATPL licence proper

True. However by that reasoning neither JAA nor NZ have a "frozen ATPL" (unlike Australia for example).

The JAA has a specific ATPL flight test, just like NZ, and it is not possible to gain an ATPL without completing it. JAR-FCL 1.295 refers, and appendices describe the manoeuvres and the format. As you say, the format within NZ varies at some of the bigger airlines, so I'll not make generalizations about the different players.

Cheers,
O8

c100driver
20th Jan 2010, 23:56
Thanks for that Oktas8.

Would having the CPL subjects be a frozen CPL?

Not really asking just pointing out the stupidity of the "frozen ATPL" comments in New Zealand (and in JAR world)

Frank Arouet
22nd Jan 2010, 23:21
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr13/scud_2008/001.jpg