PDA

View Full Version : Sea Gripen anybody?

Flyingblind
16th Jan 2010, 02:40
Very interesting, thought I might share this bit of info.

Saab offers naval Gripen to India | StratPost (http://www.stratpost.com/saab-offers-naval-gripen-to-india)

bjornhall
16th Jan 2010, 09:58
Wouldn't this one fit the new British carriers rather nicely? Should be a lot cheaper than the F-35. Of course, capability would be lower too; depends on what one needs and can afford I suppose...

vecvechookattack
16th Jan 2010, 10:52
That would normally be an attractive option until you remember which British Company has a fairly large piece of the Saab pie.

Finnpog
16th Jan 2010, 10:57
Not only for the FAA - but wouldn't it represent a modernisation if not an improvement and be "Better" (not in a Top Trumps way) than the Harrier airframe now other than the VTOL capability

Rough Field? - Yup
Small Logs chain? - Yup
Swing role? - Yup

Useful for Rapid Reaction deployments prior to the infrastructure necessary for the Typhoon to come along?

Better or cheaper than the F/A-18 - ?

Not as 'good' or expensive as the F-35 - but still good for british jobs (if the deal is done right)

UKFAAROCKS
16th Jan 2010, 19:45
this is a tangent to this thread, Was a Marinised version of 'Typhoon' ever officially designed??

MarkD
16th Jan 2010, 21:32
Might be an excuse to jam in an EJ200 in preference to the current F414...

Not_a_boffin
17th Jan 2010, 09:34
this is a tangent to this thread, Was a Marinised version of 'Typhoon' ever officially designed??

Yep - complete with ventral periscope (!) to cure the AoA/glideslope/meatball visibility problem!

GreenKnight121
17th Jan 2010, 19:42
Ummm... BAe wrote out a proposal, and estimate, complete with their ideas to address the various problems, and estimates of time/cost.

However, no one spent the multiple of millions of Pounds, Euros, or Dollars to actually do the design work.

Gainesy
18th Jan 2010, 09:20
Fairy Delta/Concorde-type droop snoot was one option (of many) I understand, there again, its quite easy to design a glossy brochure, doing the engineering however...

fallmonk
19th Jan 2010, 16:08
Didnt think any modern airforce would considered a single engined fighter for blue water operations now a days and yes i know the F-35 is single engined but its VTOL abilitys give it special abilitys .

For the record i like it and think its a great aircraft and i like even more the idea off not being wholey depenedant on the USA for parts/software(esp after the chinook code problems)

If they had or do invest the Eurofighter naval version could tick the boxes , off course there will be a lot to overcome

Off course its only my personal opinion

Gainesy
19th Jan 2010, 16:25
but its VTOL abilitys give it special abilitys .

Sorry, don't understand that, apart from the ability to keep most of the wreckage in one pile.:confused:

Droop snoot ref above was in regard to Typhoon BTW>

Double Zero
19th Jan 2010, 16:36
Gainesy,

Think positive !

The VTOL capabilities do allow another ' Plan B ' ( as long as your single engine is working ) - remember Lt Ian ' Soapy ' Watson & the ship ' Alraigo ' ?

WeekendFlyer
20th Jan 2010, 01:02
Now that the USA have very unhelpfully blocked all foreign access to F-35 software source code, a navalised Gripen could be a very good alternative option!

It is a very neat little aircraft, and the Swedes have put some great design features in to it.