PDA

View Full Version : Prince William Gets his Wings....

FLY 7
15th Jan 2010, 16:23
...from his dad.

BBC News - Prince William completes RAF Shawbury helicopter course (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8462144.stm)

toptobottom
15th Jan 2010, 17:14
Let's hope he doesn't abuse the privelege like his Uncle does!

Senior Pilot
15th Jan 2010, 18:49
Let's hope he doesn't abuse the privelege like his Uncle does!

What an offensive thing to say. Prince Andrew was a Sea King pilot in the Falklands, whose tasks included Exocet protection to the carrier, and rescue winching from the Atlantic Conveyor. I expect that William will do well if he continues the family tradition.

ironchefflay
15th Jan 2010, 18:54
ive worked with him, and my uncle-in-law flew with him in the Falklands.

I'm saying nothing. it gets me in trouble.

Skidkid
15th Jan 2010, 19:07
What an offensive thing to say.

Well said Senior Pilot, why do we have to put up with so many idiots on this site?

toptobottom
15th Jan 2010, 20:57
SP - bit twitchy aren't we?! I'm not sure why you think that's offensive. Andrew did a commendable job during his Navy days and his brave contribution in the Falklands is well recognised and applauded; he was quite rightly awarded the South Atlantic medal, along with hundreds of his deserving colleagues.

I was referring to his unnecessary use of helicopters at the taxpayers' expense, equally well recognised, but not quite so well admired. "Air milles Andy" has been widely criticised for abusing his priveleged position, here (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/andrew-wasted-thousands-using-helicopters-like-taxis-say-officials-487934.html)for example. And here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/5533157/Prince-Andrew-criticised-over-flight-to-golf-club-party.html). And here (http://cityspur.com/2009/10/25/britains-prince-andrew-blasted-for-flying-helicopter-to-work/). And here (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/royalwatch/news/article_1489353.php/Prince_Andrew_s_hired_helicopter_row), etc.

At least I didn't call him an idiot - now that would be offensive :p

TTB

Senior Pilot
15th Jan 2010, 21:06
ttb,

The thread is about Prince William getting his wings as a military pilot :ok:

Your original post was a direct response to that, and made no reference to a political rant about private travel. I saw nothing in "Let's hope he doesn't abuse the privelege like his Uncle does" that led me to believe you weren't talking about Andrew's Military service.

Maybe you should have tried to stay on topic?

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 21:08
`Vital actions` you are another idiot! Leave the Royals alone. At least we don,t have Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in charge, or maybe thats what you anti Royals want.:(

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 21:12
My post was deleted. Not sure if by accident. In my opinion you are the one out of line here. :(

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 21:26
I am starting to get more than a little upset with the amount of a$$holes on this site. I am sure that most should not be even registering on a PP forum?
Get a life you non flyers and go elsewhere!! Non flyers who look after us flyers are MORE than welcome here. You are the other half of how we fly safe and are very much appreciated. :D

ironchefflay
15th Jan 2010, 21:27
ok, there's definatly some Voodoo or something going on in here, cos i've no idea how i ended in this mess now!!!

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 21:31
ive worked with him, and my uncle-in-law flew with him in the Falklands.

I'm saying nothing. it gets me in trouble.

Please get yourself in trouble and tell the world what the hell you know!!:mad:

ironchefflay
15th Jan 2010, 21:32
Well. not sure how to take that last comment. i presume i am the a$$hole for some reason but i am also an Engineer! am i still more than welcome? i really dont know?

but just to set the record straight. i said nothing derogatary about anyone, nor did i make any comments about others talking on this thread. so if the mods are around, im taking no resposibility for this one!!

Senior Pilot
15th Jan 2010, 21:34
How about we stick to the thread subject? :ugh:

"Prince William gets his Wings"

ironchefflay
15th Jan 2010, 21:36
i also said ive no axe to grind!

im not pro royal, im not anti royal.

ironchefflay
15th Jan 2010, 21:39
anyway.

Well done Prince William, im sure you'll enjoy what little normallity of life you will get doing something you want to, and maybe i'll be working with you one of these days when SAR finally makes its mind up where its going.

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 21:39
ironchefflay, are you a professional pilot? No (I am assuming) I appreciate that you are an enginner and look after us pilots daily. Are you in a position to comment on the Royals with regards their flying skills? No, I would guess.
Just don,t $hit stir for your own ends. Please.:(

mickjoebill
15th Jan 2010, 21:50
Back on topic.

What can he do and what does he hope to do with his wings?

Given who he is, what flying roles is he likely to perform?

Mickjoebill

BrianG
15th Jan 2010, 21:52
Does one need to be a pilot, let alone a "professional pilot" (whatever that means - school teachers alao claim to be in a "profession" but few doctors or lawyers think of them as professionals in a true sense, but it really is a bit elitist), to assess a person's flying skills? I would think that an aeronautical engineer, servicing aircraft and no doubt spending a far bit of time flying in them, might be able to express an valid opinion on how well someone flys the aircraft he or she maintains.

I do not mean to ****estir, but to suggest that a person can not express an opinion, or their opinion has less validity, because they are not a "professional pilot" is a bit unfair.

toptobottom
15th Jan 2010, 21:55
SP – with respect, I thought I was on topic. You however, clearly did not! Perhaps my post should have been clearer and I’m sorry it wasn’t. Perhaps you should have queried my post before jumping to the wrong conclusion and over-reacting (I’m not aware that Andrew has ever abused his position as a military pilot?).

Anyway, the original post was about William getting a helicopter licence – I’m very pleased for him and I’m quite certain he’ll make an excellent pilot. I wish him well with his aspirations in SAR. My post referred to Andrew’s helicopter licence and how he abuses the privileges it affords him. I’m not anti-royalist, but I (along with millions of others) do resent my hard earned cash funding his extravagant private lifestyle. I hope William doesn’t do the same.

-272, your posts were not deleted by accident. They were deleted because, like all of the other posts you’ve submitted during your limited (and probably soon to end) membership of PPRuNe, they added no value whatsoever. This is a discussion forum for intelligent grown-ups, not a playground for yobs to throw childish insults. Try joining this (http://www.clubpenguin.com/); I think you’ll find it easier to understand.

TTB

Skidkid
15th Jan 2010, 21:58
Yes, well done Prince William.

Anyone who has completed the Shawbury helicopter course will know that it is a tough demanding course that requires a lot of skill and hard work. To suggest that someone, whatever their background, "will always pass every course, even if they are sub-standard" is totally ludicrous.

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 22:16
Back on topic.

What can he do and what does he hope to do with his wings?

Given who he is, what flying roles is he likely to perform?

Mickjoebill

Maybe get his a$$ in the air in Iraq or Afganistan to save some of our boys in need? I am 100% sure if "tasked" he would do so! He,s in the military. Stop knocking the Royals. They are not the Generals etc. of old who sent thousands to their death. These are modern service men willing to die for what they believe in. Support them.

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 22:31
-272, your posts were not deleted by accident. They were deleted because, like all of the other posts you’ve submitted during your limited (and probably soon to end) membership of PPRuNe, they added no value whatsoever. This is a discussion forum for intelligent grown-ups, not a playground for yobs to throw childish insults. Try joining this (http://www.clubpenguin.com/); I think you’ll find it easier to understand.

TTB
I am not even going to look at your "this" suggestion. I have watched pprune for many years now and commented many times before but not using this ID. I will not rise to your comments.
I am sure that any Royal will defend his (my) country if required. I have 100% faith in our Royals.
Thanks.

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 22:52
I cannot see where I have thrown childish or yobish insults?
Lets know what your qualifications are to slag me off?:ouch:

-272.15 degrees Cels
15th Jan 2010, 23:37
With respect sir. How do ppruners know how William flies?
Andrew served his country with honour. Its Her Majestys country and I am proud to serve her.
If I were in charge and my son wanted a little extra, I,d let him have it. The $hit the Royals have to put up with, I,d not take it! Everything they do is now under a microscope.
I am very proud to have a Royal Family in the UK.
$ollocks to the multi cultural society! If you do not love Britain or the Royals then please leave this great country.:oh:

Epiphany
16th Jan 2010, 02:23
Toptobottom,

You show considerable ignorance by referring to military pilots licences. Military pilots to not earn licences by passing a military pilots course. They are awarded wings. If you are commenting on something - particularly when being critical - make sure of your facts.

J.A.F.O.
16th Jan 2010, 02:44
Two quick questions:

1) Did you get an Air Chief Marshal on your graduation?
2) Why Flt Lt Wales? Surely Wales isn't his name, it's his Dad's job, I wasn't Flt Lt Grocer.

John Eacott
16th Jan 2010, 03:30
Two quick questions:

1) Did you get an Air Chief Marshal on your graduation?
2) Why Flt Lt Wales? Surely Wales isn't his name, it's his Dad's job, I wasn't Flt Lt Grocer.

1. Yes (well, a Rear Admiral) and why not? It's quite normal to have Wings presented by an officer of Air Rank (or an Admiral), and jolly well should be! Any military pilot will tell you, they are hard earned and highly prized :ok:

2. Because he is His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales, and his brother is HRH Prince Henry of Wales. It's the 'family name'.

I am surprised that it is referred to in the media as having been a Wings presentation, since I remember that there was a tad of unrest when he was awarded his wings at Cranwell back in April 2008 after a 'short course'. I suspect that the ceremony may have been of a slightly different nature than the media would have us believe: not an unusual occurrence ;)

To Prince William, a fellow helicopter pilot on his way to being a full time SAR pilot, Bravo Zulu :D

Leftpedal
16th Jan 2010, 07:54

I am very proud to have a Royal Family in the UK.
$ollocks to the multi cultural society! If you do not love Britain or the Royals then please leave this great country.

You are entitled to your views as I and others are entitled to theirs. That is one of the priviledges people enjoy in the UK. Why should anyone leave the country simply because they do not share your views?
Personally I take no particular pride in the Royals, nor do I love them. Why should I? Although I have in fact now left Great Britain I paid my taxes there for many years - taxes which helped to support their luxurious lifestyle. So I'm supposed to love them as well? Get real! In fact I took far more pride in living in a multi-cultural society - something you seem to despise. It suggests to me that Britain is a far better place to live than many other countries. Isn't that something to be proud of?

DeeJayEss
16th Jan 2010, 08:18
I looked up Prince Willy's page on wikipedia earlier today. The name thing is explained in full on that page - his proper surname should be Mountbatten-Windsor, but they don't use surnames as adults.

It's confusing, but if you want to look it up, it's here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William_of_Wales).

Enjoy!

Impress to inflate
16th Jan 2010, 08:27
Well done Bill ! Good on ya

VfrpilotPB/2
16th Jan 2010, 08:27
Jolly Well Done to His Royal Highness The Prince William,

There will always be detractors and small minded folk who like to appear to be part of the "New Revolution New Labour type Luvvies", well carry on everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how petty and backward they sound, thing is shouldnt your type be sniffing something or reading tor selling the "Big Issue" Get a life the Prince William passed on his own effort, sure he's a Royal, just look at the amount of cash the yanks spend comming over to little ole England to watch some A1 Royal Pomp, how much cash have you detractors earned for the country, my thought is None at All.

Now thats my opinion I am a True Brit who would fight and die for my Queen and Country, without a second thought!

Peter Russell-Blackburn
Lancashire

Vie sans frontieres
16th Jan 2010, 08:37
Daily Mail readers, don't you just love them?

:ok:

toptobottom
16th Jan 2010, 09:24
-272 The reason you can’t see your yobbish and childish insults is because they were removed by the mods – precisely because they were yobbish and childish!! In the unlikely event you ever have something relevant and interesting to say, drop me a line and I’ll help you construct a few coherent sentences. Maybe we can get Epiphany to proof read it before it’s published. He’s obviously very clever indeed :D

TTB