PDA

View Full Version : Excited Upper Class virgin

MR7958
14th Jan 2010, 23:25
I'm really excited to have just booked my first ever Upper Class flight with Virgin - LHR to SFO in February. With apologies for sounding like a simpering schoolgirl, but I'd love to hear any tales about what I can expect from the Clubhouse and whether I'm justified in being excited about turning left when I get on the plane. I think I've exhausted all the information on the Virgin website!

I've one specific (and horribly mercenary) question. Are the various services in the Clubhouse (I'm thinking massages, food etc) all complimentary?

strake
15th Jan 2010, 03:50
Jetlag has me wandering about my room at stupid o' clock so let me assist if I can...

All the services in the clubhouse are free but if you want massages, facials, haircut etc, it's wise to book in advance, which you can do through the website. If you are making use of the limo service to the airport and you have the time, you might want to request they pick you up earlier so you get more time at the airport/clubhouse. If arriving by limo, you will be driven to a special arrivals area which has it's own check-in and security. If you "put your head down" and go for it, you can be through security and in the Clubhouse in five to ten minutes - if you ignore the shopping areas. You'll get the same speedy service if not using the limo but you have to enter the main Virgin terminal area first.
Plenty to see and do in the Clubhouse - just wander around. Upstairs, you can get outside to a viewing area and sometimes there is a surprise there such as Jag or Aston in "view" mode...although it might be a bit cold in Feb! Also upstairs there are some Pod seats which you can relax in etc. Food/drink is exceptional in the lounge and my advice would be to make every use of this service at it is far better than the choice and quality available on the aircraft.
Seatwise, again if you can, try to get any of the right hand front seats (up to row 8 or 9'ish) depending on the aircraft used. These don't have anyone facing you and are away from the bar/crew area. Seat 2 on r/h is by the lav which some will say disturbs but I've never really noticed a problem. Other good seats are the left hand set from about 8 back ( but not too far back, again for the bar/crew reasons) which have no one facing. Because of the way the seats are positioned, window gazing is difficult anyway but if you don't mind not having a window at all, the first two centre row seats are quite private if you can get them. Again, check the website for seating availability.
Finally, the IFE can go a bit wrong from time to time and it can take quite long to sort out. Should this happen, you might want to get a quick order in for a standalone DVD player before everyone else catches on. There is normally is a good selection of DVD's so whilst others are cursing the delay and disruption, you can be happily entertained whilst sitting calmly sipping your G&T.
Have a nice trip.

22/04
15th Jan 2010, 06:38
Two things to add..

Treatments are largely not bookable now you need to go and see what you can get when you get to the Clubhouse

And on board there's the bar.........

fincastle84
15th Jan 2010, 09:11
Don't choose a seat anywhere near the bar. It will be packed with noisy off duty Virgin crew enjoying free drinks on a staff flight. Be warned.

MR7958
15th Jan 2010, 09:24
Thank you all - that's really helpful advice.

TheTiresome1
15th Jan 2010, 09:31
MR7958 - enjoy the experience! You will never want to fly down the back again.

Worth having a browse here for other feedback. (http://www.airlinequality.com/)

Have fun.

strake
15th Jan 2010, 16:56
It will be packed with noisy off duty Virgin crew enjoying free drinks on a staff flight. Be warned

Quite frankly, unlikely.

The bar can't be "packed" as there are only four seats. In seven years of VS travel, I've never noticed off-duty crew there but if there were, I think I'd rather join them (if they'd have me) than the boring Brits, loud Yanks or lovey-dovey couples that frequent the area normally.
Having said that, I did have a quiet Buck's Fizz there once with Mel C..or was it B? That was a little surreal but nice.

PAXboy
15th Jan 2010, 23:01
MR7958 you're going to hate it. Really. The moment you step off, you are going to hate the real world and travelling Y will always be doubly dismal. Enjoy it whilst you can! :}

mybrico
16th Jan 2010, 01:17
This thread interests me because I try to avoid Virgin. The reason is the passengers and the crew. Some Virgin passengers seem over excited and this leads to endless talking and sometimes drinking making the experience for me unpleasant. I preferred relaxed and quite and use flights for sleep and rest not entertainment. Likewise the cc crew (with the exception of the Asian crew who are lovely) are like barmaids. I hate the way they occupy the lobby at the Shearaton in Pudong most morning waiting for their crew bus. I have moved to the St Regis to avoid them. As for the Heathrow clubhouse again noisy, uncomfortable with people speaking loudly into mobile phones. Clearly I am not target market since I actually prefer CX, SQ or BA.

jubilee
16th Jan 2010, 08:01
I could excite you.
Regards,
Jubilee

Union Jack
16th Jan 2010, 08:10
I could excite you.
Regards,
Jubilee

Jubilee - Despite the mention of "massages.... etc", I don't think that MR7958 is quite asking to join the Mile High Club!:eek:

Jack

spannersatcx
16th Jan 2010, 08:14
As you are so excited I can't help but feel you will be dissappointed once you've done it.:{

Nicholas49
16th Jan 2010, 08:18
There are two ways of interpreting your thread title! ;)

jubilee
16th Jan 2010, 08:52
UNION JACK.

One can only dream.
Regards,
Jubilee

JEM60
16th Jan 2010, 17:48
I will probably be flamed here for this. Tho' I can afford it, I have never travelled upper class. I feel that all that money is a waste for me. I travel economy, then when I arrive I clear off to the Carribean for a five star cruise. Much better value for the same money as first class. So I get to my destination, then have the cruise. With the money you are paying, you merely get to your destination. Terrible value, but then my wife is always calling me a boring old git.:):)

Two-Tone-Blue
16th Jan 2010, 18:31
You should NOT be flamed for saying that.

We all have different aspirations and can make different choices according to our desires. You would have to nail me to a pallet to go on a cruise, and likewise to fly economy. Values are in the eye of the beholder - enjoy your choices, and I and many others will enjoy ours.

Have I become a mellow person? ;)

JEM60
16th Jan 2010, 18:39
:)Two-Tone-Blue.
Yes you have, and so have I. Thankyou for your reply.:)

apaddyinuk
17th Jan 2010, 15:55
I will probably be flamed here for this. Tho' I can afford it, I have never travelled upper class. I feel that all that money is a waste for me. I travel economy, then when I arrive I clear off to the Carribean for a five star cruise. Much better value for the same money as first class. So I get to my destination, then have the cruise. With the money you are paying, you merely get to your destination. Terrible value, but then my wife is always calling me a boring old git.

To be honest I kind of agree with you. When its my own money I simply consider the flights as the means to get there! Once there Id rather spend the money to upgrade my accomodation or splash out on some pampering ( I dont consider a premium cabin to be pampering!).

However if work want to pay for a decent seat by all means. However I would consider upgrading if I was heading to Oz, 27 hours is just cruel in economy!

redsnail
17th Jan 2010, 16:00
We took Virgin Atlantic to Australia in September. We used Premium Economy on the way out as the trip was broken by a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong.

We were booked to return in Premium Economy with only the tech stop to break up the journey back to the UK. We paid for an upgrade to Upper Class and it was the best thing. Made the return trip pleasant and I am sure shortened the perceived jet lag recovery. :ok:

Very pleased and enjoyed the experience. :D

svw8700
18th Jan 2010, 15:00
Likewise the cc crew (with the exception of the Asian crew who are lovely) are like barmaids. I hate the way they occupy the lobby at the Shearaton in Pudong most morning waiting for their crew bus. I have moved to the St Regis to avoid them

Mybrico - just what do you expect the crew to do when leaving the hotel. Go via the tradesman entrance?
I find your comment slightly offensive.

silverelise
19th Jan 2010, 12:22
I used to use Virgin Upper quite a bit for London-New York, then had a break for a couple of years, then used them last week for London-Hong Kong (and back home again this Friday).

The service isn't *quite* as good as it used to be, but no doubt due to the economic climate. No more in flight beautician and her party pack of polos etc. It is still very, very good though. Although I've moved out of London to Northampton, I was still "in range" for the limo service (limit is 75 miles IIRC although they are a bit flexible depending on your ticket).

One thing that can throw newcomers is actually getting to the lounge. It's far a from obvious trek from security around the Duty Free crowds and out the back. Follow signs for Airport Lounges and specificially lounge H.

Take maximum advantage of the lounge and facilities. I try to have a meal because the food is much better than on board and you can just get on and sleep then.

It does get quite busy there and sometimes difficult to find a seat. If you head to the back of the bar area behind the glass there is a quiet area where you can sit and watch the planes. Only downside then is its sometimes hard to attract attention to get served.

Enjoy your trip. :)

TightSlot
19th Jan 2010, 12:57
Outright winner so far of the 2010 'Thread Title of the Year that isn't about what you expected (or hoped)' competition.

MR7958 - I'm pleased that you're excited - That's how it should be! Enjoy.

Two-Tone-Blue
19th Jan 2010, 17:31
To my amazement, looking for Car Hire in the USA on my next trip to Washington DC in April , and after a [B]lot of Web-searching [at least 11 of the 'usual culprits'] I fund that car hire through Virgin came out the cheapest.

All the essential insurances as well!! They use Alamo at Dulles. For my trip I'm looking for a Standard SUV. Quotes ranged from Virgin's £522 [checked today] to well over over £900. And forget fuel burn and carbon footprint - US fuel is still around £1.60 a gallon. Obviously the smaller the car, the cheaper - but do look at the Virgin website if you haven't already.

Jarvy
19th Jan 2010, 18:07
Mrs Jarvy flew Virgin upper class last week and was very impressed. She normally travels BA club but due to timetable problems used Virgin. What made it better, easy, better service (sorry BA) and more comfortable seats.
Also on her flight back to Boston she was sat right by a guitarist from one of her favourite bands of all time.

MR7958
22nd Jan 2010, 13:17
Outright winner so far of the 2010 'Thread Title of the Year that isn't about what you expected (or hoped)' competition.

MR7958 - I'm pleased that you're excited - That's how it should be! Enjoy.

Thanks - I hoped the thread title would attract attention!

I'm pleased to be excited too. I firmly believe that one shouldn't ever be cynical about the fact that one can step into a plane in London and, less than a day later, walk back out through the same door but be on the other side of the world. What a shame though that the grinding discomfort of long-haul economy (and I'm neither obese nor a giant) can seriously reduce the magic of that.

Ironically, it seems that the expensive experience of turning left has helped remind me how fortunate we are to live in a world of affordable international travel.

JEM60
24th Jan 2010, 11:31
Hope you enjoy. As someone said, each to his own. I'm flying to Brazil on Mar12th, picking up a cruise ship, sailing back for a fortnight via various sandy beaches in hot sun [anyone remember that!!!!] etc, still for far less money than a transatlantic 1 day of some luxury. Have a great time, it's just not for me.:):):)

IJM
25th Jan 2010, 01:31
Jarvy:
Also on her flight back to Boston she was sat right by a guitarist from one of her favourite bands of all time.

If you don't mind me being curious / nosey, who was the guitarist?

Jarvy
25th Jan 2010, 12:16
Timothy B Schmit of The Eagles.

JEM60
25th Jan 2010, 15:08
Now THAT is a proper guitarist. Not a bad singer either.. T'was always my intention to 'stand on the corner in Winslow, Arizona' Love the Eagles, my wife hates them..........

IJM
26th Jan 2010, 18:33
Thanks Jarvy - now, if Joe Walsh had been across the aisle, it could have been the classic "dual guitar solo" from Hotel California....

Ace Rimmer
27th Jan 2010, 15:05
JEM: Me too and one day I did and guess what? Girl in a flatbed Ford slowed down to take a look...oh booger....just a tourist trap painting thing....

JEM60
27th Jan 2010, 21:12
Yeah. bit like me meeting Kunte Kinte's [Roots] great grandmother in The Gambia!! Ah well, she wouldn't slow down and look at me at my age!!:):)
Guess I'll have to settle for 'The girl from Iponema' on Copocabana Beach in March.

Bus429
29th Jan 2010, 07:00
Enjoy it!
However - and this may sound a bit stupid - having turned left on many occasions, I am often felt let down by: dirty cabins/seats (BA, Royal Nepal, RBA & Etihad), indifferent staff (Emirates and Cathay) and token Business in Europe (AF/KLM on 737s in which the middle economy seat is not occupied; PIA). On long-range sectors, I've had good experiences with KLM on both 747 and 767s and - probably the best IMHO/experience - Qantas whose staff are invariably friendly and efficient. While it is sometimes fashionable to knock BA, I've always found their cabin staff to be efficient and friendly, too.
When self-funded, I always travel Economy and don't really mind.