PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help please... CAA CPL examination appeal?

Melissa_Bettochi
14th Jan 2010, 14:13
Hi everyone,

I have tried to search everywhere and cannot find a conclusive answer. I just want some advice from people here before proceeding further and making my initial call to the CAA.

I had my Commercial Pilots exam last week and the examiner decided to fail me halfway through for reasons that I believe were unreasonable. Including errors of judgement possibly made in relation to his seating position (parallax error) and the position of my instruments.

My flight lasted some one hour before he called it a day. I then undertook my CPL just two days later with another examiner and passed with no problems.

I wish to appeal the decision of the first CPL test because I feel the fail was not warranted. However, I do not know if anyone else has undertook this road before. I feel so happy to have passed my CPL test but yet so upset that I feel its an unfair series II pass. :(

Can anyone please advise. At this moment, I do not know if there is even a time limit for appeals.

Many many Thanks for any help, it would be much appreciated.

Meli

Whirlygig
14th Jan 2010, 15:20
If you failed then you must have had a couple of faults - just one minor fault and you would have had a partial pass where you only have to retake the section you failed rather than the whole test.

I thought if someone failed, you were recommended to undergo further training and I'm surprised the CAA could rebook your test in two days.

What does your school and instructor say about appealing? They are the ones who should be supporting you on this.

Cheers

Whirls

David Horn
14th Jan 2010, 15:24
The CAA does have a defined appeals procedure, it's apparently laid out in CAP393, section 6.

Appeals Process - Safety Regulation Group | Reporting, Information Requests and Appeals | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1745&pagetype=90&pageid=9767)

BigGrecian
14th Jan 2010, 17:32
You cannot appeal the result.

You will always have a second series pass.

You can only appeal the conduct.

It takes a couple of months as an appeal board is held which is mainly ran by the CAA legal department.

Since it is a legal matter I would encourage you to stay well clear of posting a thread like this. I suggest you do not give more information on this forum regarding this issue.

Honestly, from what information you have given you don't seem to have a strong case, and your chances are slim.

However, the examiner is required to inform you of the appeals procedure, and you have 14 days I believe in which to appeal. If it is past this you cannot appeal.

The school shouldn't really be involved other than to show you the regulation. The appeal has to come from the applicant, not the school, and it is between the applicant and the CAA. The school shouldn't get involved unless the CAA request so.

Halfwayback
14th Jan 2010, 20:17
Melissa

I think you have been given some very sound advice - particularly regarding posting here on this forum whilst preparing for a possible appeal.

You also have your answer as to how to go about it so I am closing the thread before it suffers from the inevitable thread drift.

Good luck - whichever way you go.

HWB