PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Aid....?

Flyting
14th Jan 2010, 11:03
Does anyone know if helicopter support aid in a civilian capacity will be deployed to Haiti like it was for SE Asia and Pakistan?

From CNN about a US Carrier on route:
The Carl Vinson "had a very small complement of aircraft on it when it was at sea," Fraser told reporters at the Pentagon on Wednesday. "As ... it passes through or by Mayport, we're going to provision it with as much capability as we can, primarily looking at helicopter capacity ... because we need to be able to get around the country."

malabo
14th Jan 2010, 16:22
Canadian Military just landed there with a C-17 transport and brought a Bell 412 with them. Americans will certainly bring Blackhawks - every time I went there before they would occupy the west end of the ramp with 5-6 Blackhawks. The UN mission used to have Bell 212's and 205 from some of the South American contingents - don't know if they had anything there before the quake.

Driving through Port-au-Prince before it always looked like it had just gone through an earthquake, I can't imagine what it looks like now. The better hotels and businesses already had their own generators and water was trucked in and around or caught in cisterns, so in some ways they would be semi-prepared.

LukenAviation
14th Jan 2010, 17:01
Am planning Sunday dawn to MTPP, FAA sez you need only list "Humanitarian" in remarks section, but FOX reports AC holding over airport and on ground in Fla.

We are bringing in a medical team and and 2 NGO workers with satellite uplinks for longer haul support.

Has anyone been to the airport? I assume no fuel or extended parking. Please fill in gaps if possible, I will do same after my trip.

P.S. How do I start a thread? I need begin one for guys getting into Haiti.

Phrogman
14th Jan 2010, 18:00
Air traffic issues have already developed with private entities rolling in unannounced to grab casualties and then flying back to the States, but mainly that has mainly been a fixed wing thing. U.S. State department (lead agency) will govern any civilian deployment once the DOD assets get done with the missions they can do. Very soon, if not already, logistics for any helo's is only going to be available on the ship's, so if anyone is thinking of rolling in there don't expect anything to be available for you at the airport. You also may be providing more of a safety hazard than assistance unless you are part of the system being established now.

heliduck
14th Jan 2010, 21:40
It will be interesting to see if the US govt can get helpto Haiti quicker than they got it to New Orleans. The US taxpayers have spent a lot of money on enquiries etc to improve response times during disasters & I'm guessing a self sufficient & mobile Helicopter response would be an outcome from that. From the tv footage they have a mammoth task ahead of them. Where's Virgil & the Thunderbirds when you need them?

palmares215
17th Jan 2010, 16:00
Hello All,

Im in NYC and was wondering if anyone knows of any operators that are heading down there to help with relief efforts? If not, why not?

If anyone knows any info, please leave a comment as I would love to get on board and help any way I can.

Dan Reno
17th Jan 2010, 16:29
Heavy-lift helicopters join Haiti quake relief effort
Fort McHenry
Hampton Roads

Norfolk (Norfolk, Virginia)
By Hugh Lessig
January 17, 2010

ABOARD THE USS BATAAN - One after another, the giant CH-53E helicopters came gently to rest Saturday on the deck of this amphibious assault ship.

It was harder than it looked.

"I liken it to trying to land a helicopter the size of a city bus on something the size of a Volkswagen parking lot," said Marine Capt. Justin Smith. "There's not a whole lot of room for error. It's what we train for. It's what we do, and we do it well."

The giant CH-53 Sea Stallions will provide a much-needed lift to Haiti, which is still reeling after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck the island nation last week.

The helicopters can ferry troops and supplies. They can evacuate the many wounded. And they can support their fellow Marines on the ground as they try to keep order.

For the Marines who fly these craft, it marks a change in mindset from where they often find themselves — at the front of an attack.

"You've got to change gears in your mind," said Capt. James Skelton. "When you're going to combat, you get more amped up, more intense. But don't know what we're going to see. Even though it's not a combat zone, it potentially could become one.

"The whole stress level could be more elevated than a normal humanitarian mission due to just the sheer number of casualties."

Skelton was recently in the Haiti region on a counternarcotics mission. He couldn't go into detail about that, but he does knows one thing.

"Port-au-Prince was rough then," he said. "I can't imagine what it's like now."

In all, the Bataan took on eight of the big CH-53 helicopters and four smaller Huey UH-1Ns.

The craft belong to the Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 461 (Reinforced), based in North Carolina.

The Bataan Amphibious Ready Group — including the USS Bataan, USS Carter Hall and USS Fort McHenry — left Naval Station.
Ref: Heavy-lift helicopters join Haiti quake relief effort - dailypress.com (http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_haiti-dispatch_0117jan17,0,7367806.story)

Gordy
17th Jan 2010, 19:59
Palmares215

I would love to get on board and help any way I can.

This may sound cold, but:

I have helicopters that I could send, but in reality, who is going to pay for it. I am with everyone else with my sympathies, but the hard facts are that it would be irresponsible of me, or the company I work for, to send our helicopters down there without funding in place. How would we explain to our employees when we lay them off in a few months due to lack of finances.

Therefore, you find the money, (just cost---we will forgo any profit), and I will convince my boss to send us down there. I have a Huey and two L4's, configured for utility and rappel sitting in the hanger.

Dan Reno
19th Jan 2010, 14:12
Taken from:
America is always wrong, part 85: US is accused of 'occupying' Haiti – Telegraph Blogs (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100022727/america-is-always-wrong-part-85-us-is-accused-of-occupying-haiti/)

"Another aircraft which could prove valuable is ironically the the much-maligned V-22 Osprey, a propeller aircraft which can take off and land vertically. If an Osprey can carry 20 infantry, it should also be able to carry a ton or two of supplies, and it can land on fields that are too small even for a C-130. With the help of of a small fleet of Ospreys, distribution points could have been established, in virtually every neighborhood of the Haitian capital, saving many lives and calming the entire situation."

CORR: That's 32 troops mate. (Saved even more lives!)

SASless
19th Jan 2010, 14:51
One would think with their self deployment capability, the access to airfields in the DR and Puerto Rico....and their VTOL capability....they would have been amongst the very first aircraft engaged in relief work.....wouldn't one?

They could work off the carrier (assuming it had hardened high temperature decks) and make very short work of cargo haulling to areas throughout PAP and its suburbs.

As I recall....water blivets are hi-density loads and thus ride fast and stable....as would nets full of water cans and rations.

21stCen
19th Jan 2010, 16:43
Dan and SAS,

You're exactly on point with this one. The Bush administration was blasted and rightly so for not deploying appropriate assets and capabilities when they were needed in the aftermath of Katrina. Now there is an aircraft that can assist in ways that no other aircraft can in the Haiti disaster (self deploying direct to remote areas), and yet they sit Stateside. Sad...

Obviously lessons have not been learned by the new administration... :ugh:

The truth is that this is not a case of tiltrotors vs. helicopters -- both are needed to get the job done. In this situation helicopters are much more important as getting aid that is stacking up at the Port-au-Prince airport is far more critical than the supplemental help that could be directly deployed by tiltrotors.

The press is inaccurately reporting that the weakness is that helicopters are not doing the job of moving aid that has been delivered to the airport out to those that need it. The real problem is that the secure distribution centers that the helicopters need to deliver the aid to are not in place. If you drop food, water, clothing, etc., into a vacant lot they will be hoarded by those strong enough to gather them. The net result being that the aid will not be distributed to those who desparately need it.

Sad but true...

wish2bflying
19th Jan 2010, 20:49
One small point I noted is that the quote you used didn't come from that blog, but in the comments, and was attributed to one Webster G. Tarpley, of http://tarpley.net/ (http://tarpley.net/2010/01/18/to-save-haiti-fire-gen-%e2%80%9cbrownie%e2%80%9d-keen-start-air-drops-cancel-the-debt-and-kick-out-the-imf/#more-1068), where you can find his original article.

Dan Reno
19th Jan 2010, 21:15
Besides being the PERFECT oppurtunity for the public to see a V-22 do most of the carrying in the big spotlight, they could have saved many lives which is the name of the game outside the warzone also.

All their absence did was show the nation that the V-22 isn't capable of self deploying itself to a tragedy. Gee, how many are on the ramp at New River and ready to "Do their thing" when really needed? I'm glad it showed it's ass again because the money's already been spent! What a POS!

malabo
20th Jan 2010, 00:23
I don't think anyone that hasn't been there before really has any idea what it's like to be there on the ground. On a good day think of a bad part of Lagos on a bad day. Haiti makes Nigeria look like Switzerland. Now it's worse.

Here's some pictures from today, including a few helicopter ones.

Haiti six days later - The Big Picture - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/haiti_six_days_later.html)

Haiti six days later (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/haiti_six_days_later.html)

Haiti remains a place of profound need, anguish, desperation and danger, with a few glimmers of hope and slowly growing capabilities to receive and distribute the international aid now flowing in. Sporadic looting, sometimes violent, was met with force by security oficials and ordinary citizens, resulting in a number of further deaths and injuries. The tenuous security situation has led to at least one temporary evacuation of a medical facility, to protect the care-givers. Despite the long time since the earthquake, at least five people were pulled from the rubble alive this weekend, including a young girl trapped inside a supermarket who was fortunately surrounded by food, and survived on fruit snacks.

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/haiti_01_18/h01_21739133.jpg

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/haiti_01_18/h35_21758239.jpg

And the local film school in Jacmel, 25 miles south of Port-au-Prince, posted this video of a CH-53(?) unloading relief supplies at their local airport. Notice they don't shut down to unload. Epicenter of the earthquake was midway between Port-au-Prince and Jacmel, I think they said of the 1800 homes there 1200 were destroyed. Jacmel is somewhat less desperate than Port-Au-Prince, and was previously considered one of the very few locations in Haiti that actually was nice to visit.

"Avion Ki Pote Manje" by Keziah Jean on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/8855739)

Dan Reno
20th Jan 2010, 15:34
24th MEU deploys to Haiti

Ref: 24th MEU deploys to Haiti | 24th, camp, deploys - News - Jacksonville Daily News (http://www.jdnews.com/news/24th-71985-camp-deploys.html)
January 20, 2010 10:00 AM

Updated at 10:25 a.m.
Camp Lejeune’s 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit will join other base Marines on the ground in Haiti, officials with the 24th MEU said.
The 24th MEU, which consists of New River Air Station’s Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 162, Battalion Landing Team 1st Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, and Combat Logistics Battalion 24, was already scheduled to depart Wednesday on a routine seven-month deployment to locations within the European and Central Commands.
The three amphibious assault ships that will transport the MEU, Navy vessels U.S.S. Nassau, U.S.S. Mesa Verde and U.S.S. Ashland, will complete final loading stages and begin deployment on Wednesday.
The MEU’s deployment marks several historic firsts.
The deployment of VMM-162 will be the first time an Osprey squadron is deployed on a humanitarian mission, and only the second MEU deployment with the Osprey, following a successful deployment with the 22nd MEU. Other equipment including the Expeditionary Fire Support System and the Internally Transportable Vehicle, designed to fly inside the Osprey, will also deploy for the first time.
Nearly 2,000 troops from the 22nd MEU arrived in Haiti on Tuesday.

SASless
21st Jan 2010, 13:19
Other equipment including the Expeditionary Fire Support System and the Internally Transportable Vehicle, designed to fly inside the Osprey, will also deploy for the first time.

A mini-Mutt and Mortar Trailer will come in real handy down there I would reckon!:rolleyes:

But then....that is the only vehicle in the US military inventory that will fit into the Osprey. (Not counting ATV's, Motor bikes, and push bikes)

The issue is in doubt as of 1512/20 JAN 10 per the Jacksonville Newspaper.

Also unclear was whether the MV-22 Ospreys of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 162, the “Golden Eagles” — which trained up with Nassau in December in preparation for this deployment — would be flying over Haiti when the ARG arrived. It would be the first time the Osprey has been used in a major humanitarian assistance operation. Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway said Jan. 14 that the Corps had no plans to send the Osprey at that time, although the Marines would be “ready and willing” to send Ospreys if asked.

eivissa
22nd Jan 2010, 07:42
I have just been informed that the German company HeliAviation will be sending one of their AS350B3+ (incl. a crew of four) to Haiti.

At least the flying there will be at their own expense, which should be a role model to other operators :ok:

21stCen
22nd Jan 2010, 13:33
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/tiltrotors/24th-meu-to-haitiaboardUSSNassau.jpg?

24th MEU Heads to Haiti
Posted 1/22/2010
MV-22 Ospreys from Marine Medium Tilt Rotor Squadron 162 (Reinforced), 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, quietly remain full stowed on the flight deck of USS Nassauhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/2010012202224.aspx#) Jan. 19 for their upcoming deployment. The 24th MEU Marines and Sailors embarked vessels of the Nassau Amphibious Ready Group, marking the onset of their six-month deployment. The 24th MEU is among the most versatile military units in the world and stands ready to perform a full spectrum of missions ranging from humanitarian relief to full-scale combat operations. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Alex C. Sauceda)

Note: The comment "marking the onset of their six-month deployment" apparently refers to the fact that when their humanitarian mission in Haiti is complete, they will be continuing on to their originally planned deployment in Afghanistan.

singesavant
23rd Jan 2010, 11:21
hi there,

I have been flying in haiti since 8 months now. Flying a civilian aircraft was always more complicated out here. Now since the earthquake it just looks that a bomb explode in the city...
most of civilian choppers are from DR transporting people in and out to DR. all the humanitarian help is done by military so far.
Fuel is now ok and tower control is fine since US military took over. At the very first days it was a nightmare and i am very surprised that no accident happened.
Jet A1 avaible in cap haitian and port au prince and avgas only at port au prince.

There's gone be a lot of money into the country from diverse source, but when one know how things works out here and where is going the money, you becoming suspicious about the future operations. But still, somehow there gone be rebuilt to be done (first demolition), the country just can not keep going has it is right now, since there is nothing left (and assuming there was just a very little before).

Good luck to those whom are planning to get in and to those whom are already in place. In haiti patience is the first key and bribing/corruption is the last answer or used to be... hopefully things will improve in this very poor country on every aspect, at least what I wish for the population.

If I can be of any help, please let me know. Also I don t get connected very often, it is not alway easy to do it so!

Davy

21stCen
25th Jan 2010, 14:39
ENC Marines Use Osprey In Haiti In Ground-Breaking Mission
Marines from Eastern Carolina are using MV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft to help in Haiti, the first time the Osprey is being used in a humanitarian air or disaster relief mission. The 24th MEU is also helping with medical evacuations on helicopters.

Posted:
11:02 AM Jan 24, 2010

Marines Eastern Carolina are using MV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft to help in Haiti, the first time the Osprey is being used in a humanitarian aid or disaster relief mission.
The Ospreys are from to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit from Camp Lejeune and New River in Jacksonville and took off from the USS Nassau Sunday morning.
(Click the photo tab to see the Osprey as well as the 24th MEU helping medevac Haitian victims.)
The aircraft, which can take off like a plane or a helicopter, are conducting aerial surveys of population centers and roadways in northern Haiti.
According to officials, the intent of the Osprey mission is to help gain awareness of the current situation on the ground in some of the outlying towns and areas that have not had a U.S. military presence.
The 24th MEU is also helping with medical evacuations on helicopters.
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/moreospreynassau.JPG
Two MV-22 Ospreys tilt-rotor aircraft from Marine Medium Tilt Rotor Squadron 162 (Reinforced), 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, launched from USS Nassau to conduct an aerial reconnaissance of population centers and infrastructures in northern Haiti Jan. 24. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Alex C. Sauceda)

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/ospreyonnassau.JPG
This is the first time the Ospreys are used in a humanitarian aid or disaster relief missions. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Alex C. Sauceda)

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/medivacmeu.jpg

Video Clip:
MADISON: Osprey launched to Haiti (http://www.dibdias.com/2010/01/osprey-launced-to-haiti.html)

malabo
26th Jan 2010, 22:31
For the price of one Osprey you could have 100 Bell 206, or 4 S92. I appreciate the military finally finding something they can do, but disaster relief sounds like an strange application. Not sure where you're going to land them in Haiti without flattening all the buildings within a 200yd radius. I guess they'd be OK at airports, but then why bother with a V22 at all?

Can we get some youtube or pictures of their vertical capability being utilized somewhere other than a carrier or runway?

rotorfan
27th Jan 2010, 05:30
Nine US Army Reserve Chinooks, based at Olathe, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City) left for Haiti today. Supposed to be on the job by week's end. I thought they might make much of the trip in a heavy FW, but they're flying the distance.

21stCen
27th Jan 2010, 07:09
Can we get some youtube or pictures of their vertical capability being utilized somewhere other than a carrier or runway?

zZx-KyUACkQ

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/tiltrotors/OntheGround.jpg
On The Ground In Haiti

wish2bflying
27th Jan 2010, 11:21
This isn't to do with tiltrotors, and if you get overly twisted about things religious, don't bother following the link. But if you feel like getting some sense of hope about what's going on in Haiti, or you think the people down there are beyond rescue, you might be interested in taking a look at this page.

Mars Hill Church | Special | 32 Hours: The Church In Haiti (http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/special/32-hours-the-church-in-haiti)

This is a direct link to the video:

http://cdn.marshillchurch.org/media/2010/01/24/20100124_32-hours-the-church-in-haiti_vodcast_video.m4v

SASless
27th Jan 2010, 14:33
Oh.....but Osprey's are self deployable aren't they!

The Osprey's rode the Nassau down....and the Chinooks self deploy.

Don'tcha just love it!

Ian Corrigible
27th Jan 2010, 14:49
Couple of additional stories of interest:

Utah businessman takes his EC130, two R44s and his Citation X to Haiti.
Pilots feed hungry Haitians (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705360788/Pilots-feed-hungry-Haitians.html)
Copters, jet are kept busy dawn to dusk (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705360515/Deseret-News-in-Haiti-Copters-jet-are-kept-busy-dawn-to-dusk.html?pg=1)
Hero returns to Utah after relief work in Haiti (http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14275110)

ARNG deploys UH-72A to assist effort
UH-72A Lakota brings increased capabilities to relief effort in Haiti (http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/5190/uh-72a-lakota-brings-increased-capabilities-to-relief-effort-in-haiti/)
Puerto Rico ARNG flying latest helicopter in support of those who support (http://www.ng.mil/news/archives/2010/01/012210-Helicopter.aspx)

I/C

helicop84
27th Jan 2010, 14:58
if anyone know where can i find a job. mi-8 co-pilot. give me references please

21stCen
3rd Feb 2010, 17:24
http://sobchak.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/web_100129-n-1082z-028.jpg?w=550&h=392
CLICK TO ENLARGE (http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=sobchak.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.navy.mil%2Fmanagement%2Fphotodb%2Fphoto s%2F100129-N-1082Z-028.jpg) – CARIBBEAN SEA (Jan. 29, 2010) A MV-22B Osprey assigned to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 162, prepares to land aboard the multi-purpose amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4) near the coast of Haiti. Nassau is supporting Operation Unified Response following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that caused severe damage in Haiti Jan. 12. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jason R. Zalasky/Released)
http://sobchak.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/web_100125-n-5700g-410.jpg?w=550&h=364
SAINT MARC, Haiti (Jan. 25, 2010) A Sailor assigned to the amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4) distributes food at a humanitarian aid distribution point
http://sobchak.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/web_100125-n-5712p-172.jpg?w=550&h=827
HAITI (Jan. 25, 2010) Lt. Cmdr. Ashley Humphries, from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and Lt. Janie Fitch, from Dyersburg, Tenn., perform a surgical procedure on a medical evacuee from Haiti being treated aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4). Nassau is supporting Operation Unified Response following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that caused severe damage in Haiti on Jan. 12. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Jonathan Pankau/Released)
http://sobchak.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/web_100125-n-5712p-025.jpg?w=550&h=827
HAITI (Jan. 25, 2010) Lt. Cmdr. Ashley Humphries, from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Alejandro Calzada, from El Paso, Texas, close a laceration on the right wrist of a medical evacuee from Haiti being treated aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4). Nassau is supporting Operation Unified Response following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that caused severe damage in Haiti on Jan. 12. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Jonathan Pankau/Released)

21stCen
9th Feb 2010, 17:36
24th MEU departs Haiti
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/tiltrotors/haiti_osprey_470_0210.jpg?t=1265739978
February 08, 2010 6:15 PM

HOPE HODGE ([email protected])

Following two weeks of assisting with emergency aid efforts in Haiti, Camp Lejeune’s 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the three Navy ships of the Nassau Amphibious Ready Group is set to continue on to regions in the Central Command.
After receiving orders to divert to Haiti just a day before departing on a routine seven-month deployment, the 24th MEU arrived Jan. 23 and set to work on a variety of humanitarian missions following a devastating earthquake in the region. The Marines assisted the World Food Program to deliver thousands of bags of rice, built an interim medical care facility in Port-au-Prince with Joint Task Force Haiti, and delivered pallets of food and running supply operations using the unique capabilities of a squadron of MV-22 Osprey aircraft.
Aircraft from the 24th MEU and Nassau ARG flew 239 missions to communities affected by the quake in northern and southwestern parts of Haiti and the island of Gonave, according to SouthCom releases.
A civilian spokesman for U.S. Southern Command, Jose Ruiz, said the decision to send on the 24th MEU was made by SouthCom commander Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser on Sunday due to a shift in the needs of the earthquake-shattered region.
“When we called on the initial contingent to come down and support Operation Unified Response, it was the early stage of disaster relief efforts, Port-au-Prince was not fully functional and most of the aid was coming in by air,” Ruiz said.
Several weeks later, more international organizations have joined in the aid efforts, a local airport is operating at four times its normal capacity and some conditions have stabilized, he said.
“It's a case of the kind of capabilities that the Marine Expeditionary Units bring no longer being as essential as they were in the early stages of Operation Unified Response,” Ruiz said.
A spokesman for the 24th MEU, Marine Capt. Robert Shuford, said the MEU had been turning over control of the region its troops had occupied to the 22nd MEU over the weekend and was preparing to leave on Monday.
“We just got the last of our Marines aboard about two hours ago,” Shuford said in an e-mail at 4 p.m. Monday.
Shuford said he could not give specific information about the next mission of the deployment, but said that the MEU would continue on to the Central Command area of operation.
Camp Lejeune’s 22nd MEU and Bataan ARG, totaling nearly 5,000 Marines and sailors combined, will remain off the coast of Haiti and continue humanitarian efforts in the severely damaged areas near the epicenter of the Jan. 12 earthquake, according to SouthCom releases.
“It’s still too soon to speculate when they will no longer be needed,” Ruiz said.
In a statement, Fraser expressed gratitude for the work of the 24th MEU.
“Thanks to the expeditionary capabilities of this amphibious ready group and the 24th MEU, we were able to help the government of Haiti, U.N., and international relief workings mitigate the impact of this earthquake on communities across Haiti,” he said.

21stCen
13th Feb 2010, 14:31
MV-22 in background (which are leaving now), and US Customs Service in the foreground which have been in country from the early days and will remain there to continue operations.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/tiltrotors/th_OspreyandBlackHawkorS-70.jpg