PDA

View Full Version : Beagle crash

Another Number
14th Jan 2010, 04:33
Pilot crash lands on the Dampier Peninsula - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/14/2792396.htm)

Pilot survived, but injured.

You can start your commentary now... (PT6 yada yada...)

Atlas Shrugged
14th Jan 2010, 04:43
Another Van

:suspect:

Aquaplaner
14th Jan 2010, 05:44
Good news to hear that the pilot has survived! Lets hope that he makes a speedy recovery.

unairworthy
14th Jan 2010, 05:53
All you ever needed to know about PT6 issues here:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/400433-pt6-failure.html

and more!

Fris B. Fairing
14th Jan 2010, 06:25
Hey Another Number

Any chance of another word? You can either substitute "Cessna" for "Beagle" or you can insert "Bay" after "Beagle".

Rgds

VH-XXX
14th Jan 2010, 06:26
VH-NTQ

Engine stopped at 9,500ft. Overshot strip and hit hard. Engine seperated from aircraft due impact.

Ouch.

XXX now eagerly awaits current and past TAF's, history of aircraft including past and present operators along with token airliners.net photo taken before the crash stating how the aircraft looks ok in the pic. (note this paragraph contains sarcasm as this is usually what gets posted immediately after these kind of events)

ebby1028
14th Jan 2010, 06:54
It was NTQ not NPQ, XXX should :mad: worry about himself and not the current or past TAF's, history of the aircraft etc...... the pilots heart is still beating so we should all give him one of these:D:D

Another Number
14th Jan 2010, 07:12
Any chance of another word? You can either substitute "Cessna" for "Beagle" or you can insert "Bay" after "Beagle".Fair enough! (Don't want anyone thinking thread refers to British Mars probes! :ouch:)

goldypilot
14th Jan 2010, 11:01
honestly look at the picture on the wreck. he is fu%$ing lucky fella. I must admit he sounded very calm on the radio when i heard him this morning. thought are with ya mate

dmussen
14th Jan 2010, 11:16
O.K.
Steady chaps. He may not have walked away but he is hopefully in good hands in Broome. Both the Mission strip and Sandy Point ain't great. A wee prayer before you all crash out tonight could go a long way - perhaps?
"Keep her lit".

Diatryma
14th Jan 2010, 22:40
VH-XXX: Overshot strip and hit hard.

ATSB: The aircraft undershot the runway and collided with terrain.

AO-2010-003 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2010/aair/ao-2010-003.aspx)

OK - which was it???????

Also;

VH-XXX: Engine stopped at 9,500ft.

ATSB: During the cruise, the pilot received a low oil pressure indication. The pilot diverted to Beagle Bay and during the approach shut down the engine.

Again - which was it?

Di :confused: (sorry VH-XXX LOL)

(edit: I heard pilot out of horsepiddle already! When you see the post crash photo - unbeleivable. Made from tuff stuff up there......)

VH-XXX
14th Jan 2010, 23:27
Perhaps engine stopped normal operation at 9,500ft and things progressed from there.

Close enough for an early report from many 000's of kms away.

As for overshoot or undershoot, that depends on the runway and which way the aircraft is facing in the end.

If you overshoot runway 18 (for example) and flip upside down as this guy did, then it looks like you undershot runway 36 :-)

Interestingly this is the second aircraft in very recent time (the SR22 on Hamo) to have landed short in a partial power with subsequent failure scenario. A timely reminder to rethink your emergency engine failure scenarios and procedures as the Cirrus incident could have ended differently in anticipation of the full failure. Can't comment on the Van as he may have been doing the Gimli glider thing.

Diatryma
14th Jan 2010, 23:32
As for overshoot or undershoot, that depends on the runway and which way the aircraft is facing in the end.

Thanks for the clarification.

Di :E

AerocatS2A
15th Jan 2010, 00:38
I thought the thread was going to be about one of these:

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2007/airshows/beagle40th/photographs/pup_2.jpg

goldypilot
15th Jan 2010, 01:05
:Ehttp://www.wgah.net/sites/site-1802/images/6f10f0bc-7f00-0001-4263-8079d921e813.jpg
I was thinking this kind of beagle:E

Aye Ess
15th Jan 2010, 02:18
Actually,I had another picture of a Beagle in my mind.
I wonder if other older Pprunners remember the Beagle of the 1960s & early 70s that was used with the Flying Dr I think....single engine, ugly,with a tail that looked way too small.

unairworthy
15th Jan 2010, 02:40
I had this in mind, the Auster Beagle Airdale. I believe there are only a few in OZ, if that. I knew someone that had one, a red one, probably done the rounds for many years. Doesn't look like the small tailed aircraft that you speak of Aye Ess.

http://wjwaters.com/photos/Beagle.Airedale.a109.jpg

Diatryma
15th Jan 2010, 02:47
Glad it wasn't a Beaver................:rolleyes:

Hasherucf
15th Jan 2010, 03:27
Lucky boy! Picture from ABC website

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201001/r498478_2622334.jpg

VH-XXX
15th Jan 2010, 03:43
That'll buff out ok.

Super Cecil
15th Jan 2010, 04:19
Yool be able to bolt a Garret on now, (According to a lot on this site) that'll stop this sort of thing ever happening again. :} Cause as has been stated by Green Goblin They may be noisy, but they certainly are reliable!

Fris B. Fairing
15th Jan 2010, 08:03
Aye Ess

Since you asked.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/G-AVAN-B005.jpg

You probably mean the Beagle 206 which is the only Beagle I know that served with the RFDS. It was a twin, it certainly wasn't ugly and the tail looks quite delightful to me.

See what sort of thread drift you get when you don't compose the subject carefully :)

Rgds

Aye Ess
15th Jan 2010, 08:19
Indeed,Fris B fairing,that's what I thought of as the Beagle.
I guess seeing I haven't seen one since 1973,I knew it had an unusual shape. OK so maybe the bulbous cabin looks a little disproportinate.
Interesting photo though,RFDS markings but UK rego.

Super Cecil
15th Jan 2010, 08:23
Bristol in the back ground?

NOSIGN
15th Jan 2010, 10:59
and i was afraid it was
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss182/NOSIGN/crew.jpg

but thankfully it was not!

onetrack
15th Jan 2010, 12:56
I dunno about these bush mechanics. That certainly looks like an unapproved method of engine removal to me ..... ;)

At least, when the boss asks, "What happened??" - he can truthfully say, "I dunno? - it was just travelling along nicely - and then all of a sudden, the wheels just fell off it .... " :ooh:

the wizard of auz
15th Jan 2010, 13:26
That makes me want to cry. that was a good ship with all the good gear in it. I really enjoyed the many hours I had in it.
I hope they guys are alright. Anyone have any news on how the driver is?

Stationair8
16th Jan 2010, 04:35
Nice shot of the Beagle B206, where was that taken?

Fris B. Fairing
16th Jan 2010, 11:33
Stationair8

Beagle 206 G-AVAN was photographed at Archerfield on 2 July 1967 shortly after delivery. It later became VH-FDB.

Super Cecil

Yes, Bristol Freighter VH-TBB in the background.

Rgds

Edit: Corrected date from 1987 to 1967. Thanks Aye Ess.

Aye Ess
17th Jan 2010, 06:22
Fris B.....probably just a typo,so please don't punish me,but the Beagle in the photo would maybe be in 1967 instead of 87.

Fris B. Fairing
17th Jan 2010, 07:43
Aye Ess

Thanks for spotting the error which has been corrected. The only punishment will be self-flagellation on my part :uhoh:

Rgds

Nigel Osborn
17th Jan 2010, 08:19
Helicopter Utilities had a Beagle 206 in PNG in the late 60s. The late WR did an over weight take off from POM & as he raised the wheels, one engine stopped. The other couldn't keep it airborne, so WR did a nice run on landing in a grass field. Unfortunately there was a large ditch in the way, so when the 206 stopped suddenly, the tail came up & over & dented the nose. The cabin was built like a tank, didn't break & all 6 POB climbed out without a scratch.

VH-XXX
2nd Feb 2010, 06:26
This is interesting.

You'll note that earlier in this thread I stated the following, which came from the accident scene shortly after the accident.

XXX says, (the aircraft) Overshot strip and hit hard.

Shortly after, Diatryma said 15th January 2010 at 10:40am quoting the ATSB preliminary report with hyper-link attached:

The aircraft UNDERshot the runway and collided with terrain.

But NOW, the ATSB report says:

The aircraft overshot the runway and collided with terrain. The investigation is continuing.

Soooo.... how did the experts get such a simple thing wrong for those out there that think that the ATSB are infallible!!!!!?????

The Green Goblin
2nd Feb 2010, 09:58
Yool be able to bolt a Garret on now, (According to a lot on this site) that'll stop this sort of thing ever happening again. Cause as has been stated by Green Goblin
Quote:
They may be noisy, but they certainly are reliable!

Catching on around here aren't we :ok:

On a side note he overshot hey?

Hope it was not because he went through a particular flying school that would not let you side slip a Cessna with flap down (even in an emergency)

Bravohotel
2nd Feb 2010, 10:40
The Beagle 206 sure was a built like a Brick outhouse....when I worked in the UK in the late 1970s the company had a 206S and the CP had a engine problem and put down in field but hit a fence post on R/H wing outboard of the engine and put quite a big dent and a hole, with a bit of on-site repairs and a light fuel load he flew it out back to LBA...if had been any other type they would not have flown it out.....however the way the wing was made the quote too just do a repair was around 70,000 pounds so the boss sold it to a USA operator....the cabin was very large for a small twin,but the early models were underpowered....sorry about the thread drift

Howard Hughes
3rd Feb 2010, 03:44
Great looking Beagle Fris B!:ok:

pilot2684
4th Feb 2010, 13:55
spoke to a couple of the van drivers up here. Apparently he had lost oil pressure in the engine and thinking commercially he decided to shut down the engine, so as not to cause any more damage to the engine than what has already been done.

The driver is ok. he was out flying today :)

werbil
5th Feb 2010, 10:07
Well that didn't work as planned. But then again the insurance company would be paying for the engine now.

The Green Goblin
5th Feb 2010, 10:16
spoke to a couple of the van drivers up here. Apparently he had lost oil pressure in the engine and thinking commercially he decided to shut down the engine, so as not to cause any more damage to the engine than what has already been done.

The driver is ok. he was out flying today

If you've only got one, thinking commercially is running the engine at whatever power it will give you until you are assured (or closer to) a landing. Once that engine has let you down there is no need to baby it. It's the safety of your passengers and your own arse that matter. The insurance looks after the rest!

AerocatS2A
6th Feb 2010, 04:57
This thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=550216) on another message board discusses an incident where a pilot shut down an engine with low oil pressure at night and restarted it to achieve a powered landing after gliding to the vicinity of an airport. So it can work out well for you.

nibbio86
6th Feb 2010, 05:56

Well that didn't work as planned. But then again the insurance company would be paying for the engine now.

If you've only got one, thinking commercially is running the engine at whatever power it will give you until you are assured (or closer to) a landing. Once that engine has let you down there is no need to baby it. It's the safety of your passengers and your own arse that matter. The insurance looks after the rest!

Before somebody else makes comments on why the pilot shut down the engine, please go read the Caravan's POH first instead of adding more disinformed crap.

walschaert valve
8th Feb 2010, 00:39
The insurance company won't pay for the engine if it is the cause of the loss.

VH-XXX
8th Feb 2010, 02:16
So if my name is Steve Maltby and I am banging along in my brand new Cirrus SR22wizz bang GTS, the engine fails and the aircraft is lost in the sea and a write off, does the insurance company give me a new aircraft but withOUT an engine??????

Jabawocky
8th Feb 2010, 02:37
VH-XXX

If they did..... you should then go talk to the refueller who put Jet Fuel in it :eek:

Rumour has it..............:ooh:

walschaert valve
8th Feb 2010, 02:52
Should have been clearer, I was talking about the theoretical situation of shutting down the engine to save further damage. Generally where the aircraft is clearly a total loss or a constructive total loss, such as the 208 at Broome, the whole sum insured is paid by the insurer. Less excess if applicable.