PDA

View Full Version : Amberley CTAF

Aviast
14th Jan 2010, 04:20
Just a quick question about the dimensions of the Amberley CTAF: is it the same size & shape as the Amberley control zone? Or is it a 10nm radius around Amberley?

I suspect the answer is "10nm radius" as per CAR 166:

"...an aircraft is in the vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome if it is within ... a horizontal distance of 10 miles from the aerodrome"

...but I think everyone assumes the CTAF is the same as the CTZ because, well, it's drawn right there on the map! (Er, sorry Peter! "Chart!")

This came up in a debrief the other day as I made my inbound call at Spring Mountain. The question was whether I should have made a call abeam Goodna (having come from YBAF) because at that point you're getting close to the 10nm boundary even though you're still well clear of the CTZ.

Thanks!

Michael

Arm out the window
14th Jan 2010, 05:05
I'd say you're well within your rights to question this, because of all the to-ing and froing that's gone on with CTAFs, MBZs, MTAFs and all the other permutations of the same that've appeared over the past 10 or 15 years.
Am I crazy, or do we change things in a knee-jerky fashion for no apparent reason way too much?
Not so long ago, the dimensions of zones around non-controlled aerodromes were specified, either as a number of miles and/or feet, or as per the dimensions of the control zone they (sometimes) replaced outside tower hours.
Now, apparently, that's all a bit too prescriptive, so we've gone with '10 miles unless you fly a fast aircraft, then go a bit earlier', as per the AIP.
Has anyone done a study on the transitional reduction in safety that occurs when you change a rule that's been in place for some time? I bet CASA and Airservices don't factor that into their cunning plans!

Right, I feel better now.

Trent 972
14th Jan 2010, 05:57
Aviast,
AIP ENR

Release of Military CTRs
1.5.1 The responsibility for a Military CTR may be transferred to a civil ATS unit. The CTR may be deactivated, either wholly or in part, by NOTAM. The deactivated portion becomes Class G airspace.… The broadcast procedures detailed in ENR 1.1 apply.

4.2 The Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF), and Procedures at Non−towered Aerodromes
4.2.1 The CTAF is the frequency on which pilots operating at a non−towered aerodrome should make positional radio broadcasts. If a discrete frequency is not listed use Multicom 126.7MHZ. These frequencies are not normally monitored by ATS.
4.2.2 To achieve the greatest degree of safety it is essential pilots of radio equipped aircraft monitor/broadcast on the CTAF by 10 NM of a non−towered aerodrome. Only operational considerations would preclude a pilot from using the radio.

AIP
monitor the appropriate CTAF, and broadcast by 10NM (unless specified in ERSA);

ERSA AMBERLEY : Outside ATS hours CTAF procedures apply.
There are no notes to suggest any different CTAF Procedures apply at Amberley.
My understanding is that you have to monitor/broadcast BY 10nm from the Amberley aerodrome.
If you do that more than 10nm out, then no harm, no foul, but inside 10nm, is a bit naughty.
Check the ERSA to see what the applicable airfields CTAF Procedures are.
Should you have broadcasted on the CTAF at Goodna? I think yes.
regards