PDA

View Full Version : Wanaka Air Show, New Zealand Easter 2010

Samuel
13th Jan 2010, 22:14
Pre-show blurb seems to be indicating an RAF appearance: anyone know with what? C130J ? A Typhoon or two would be nice...[dreams on...]

Runaway Gun
13th Jan 2010, 22:56
Probably a mis-type. RAAF.

Samuel
14th Jan 2010, 01:08
No, RAAF included! It's not a mistake. It will be a great opportunity for a 130 crew to pick up some decent wine......

I suspect it's a wishful rumour!

Like This - Do That
14th Jan 2010, 04:20
Have been dropping hints to SWMBO, leaving open .jpgs of our last trip to Wanaka, mentioning what a great trip WOW 2002 was ....

"Maybe you can consider thinking about the possibility of wondering if you can entertain thoughts of going in 2012 ..." :\

I'll take that as a "NO" for 2010.

typerated
14th Jan 2010, 04:58
Have you an online source??

Gainesy
14th Jan 2010, 13:57
Why would they want to see a Herc?
They have their own don't they?

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Jan 2010, 17:20
Do you think that they'll want a Nimrod? It will only have to go one way: I'll take it (and I'm sure that I'll find a crew!!!)

Duncs:ok:

They can keep it afterwards!

Samuel
14th Jan 2010, 17:26
They don't necessarily want a Herc Gainsey, I just mentioned that as the most likely candidate given the distance involved in getting there! I think the suggestion was more one of an RAF appearance at an iconic show than what type appears.

vecvechookattack
14th Jan 2010, 17:32
It will be a great opportunity for a 130 crew to pick up some decent wine.....

Not in New Zealand it wouldn't

Samuel
14th Jan 2010, 17:35
Hmm.. which shows how little you know about good wine!;) The rest of the world, particularly the UK would appear not to agree with you! Keep drinking that cheap stuff!

New Zealand wines win top international awards - Wine - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/wine/news/article.cfm?c_id=365&objectid=10581427&pnum=1)

fergineer
14th Jan 2010, 18:30
Totally agree with you Samuel, a nicer drop of wine you could not ask for. Vecvec was probably bought up on cheap Cyprus plonk so will have very few of his taste buds left!!!!! Would be nice to see the Nimrod Duncs..... Send the old guys I might remember some of them.

JT Eagle
14th Jan 2010, 19:06
When and where is Fincastle this year? Will it happen before the RAF no longer have anything to compete in it with? Couldn't be in NZ around Easter time, could it?
(I genuinely don't know)...

JT

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Jan 2010, 21:45
"Would be nice to see the Nimrod Duncs..... Send the old guys I might remember some of them. "

Fergineer, mate, I am one of the old ones!

Duncs:ok:

Siggie
14th Jan 2010, 22:00
JT Eagle,

supposed to be in Oz this year, around September time. (We were tasked to come up with the scenarios! (60 X 60 box, submarine, find it - always seemed to work well.)

Won't be the same without all the nations being there, already discussed forming an expat UK crew for the gapped years - just kidding, although with the addition to the fleet of an ex RAF Air Eng, we do have now a complete set of musterings!

Charlie Luncher
14th Jan 2010, 22:09
Allegedly Oct 10 across the Tasman in the home of the great Reds not the light and fruity Kiwi versions and I am not just talking about the wine:E.
Or at least it was before the lads at ISK took it from behind would MRA4 be capable of some hot weather drills by then?:sad:
Charlie sends

Charlie Luncher
14th Jan 2010, 22:15
Siggie
Not such a daft idea, I think it has merit. I am happy to be part of it Rations were always my strength after all, we could even count in the deaf, dumb, blind kid if we can teach his seeing and hearing dog to bark at contacts:8.
Happy Hogmany you old bugger:ok:
Charlie Sends

komac2
14th Jan 2010, 22:18
Have you an online source??

Mrs Deans said four air forces were involved for the first time – the Royal New Zealand Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, representatives from the Royal Air Force and French pilots from New Caledonia.

A United States Air Force display included a ski-equipped Hercules transport plane, she said. Other attractions included jets, a German wing-walker, classic World War I fighters, and World War II aircraft.

Extra features over Wanaka - national | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3225210/Extra-features-over-Wanaka)

RE: RAF - may mean people - participation not aircraft? doesn't really say.

Wycombe
14th Jan 2010, 22:34
I can find no mention online of RAF aircraft participation, but did find the following:

NZFPM |A Proud Tradition (http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=KIWITY)

One could understand if he wanted to display the jet over his hometown.

I was in Wanaka just before the 2008 Show - what a fantastic setting.

The NZFPM Museum is also on the airfield.

Not Long Here
14th Jan 2010, 22:59
Charlie,

Any vacancies for a Tac Nav for the expat crew:}

kluge
15th Jan 2010, 02:03
A little taster from the WOW 2008 show - I remember from the commentary that it was flown by a chap from the RAF on secondment to the RAAF . Maybe that's what they mean by 'representation'.

Wanaka is a wonderful place for those who haven't been.

YouTube - Warbirds Over Wanaka Official DVD: F111 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siczD0V1Yuk)

Supposedly retiring this year from RAAF service :{

Wensleydale
15th Jan 2010, 08:15
I remember a previous OC 8 Sqn looking wistfully at a photograph of the last surviving Vickers Vincent that just happened to be in New Zealand, and wondering how he could get it for a Sqn gate guard (The Vincent was flown against the Italians in Somalia by 8 Sqn from Aden during the first years of WW2). Perhaps a self supporting (one aircraft) Sentry Det is the order of the day should one become seviceable. It has been shown during the FIDEA displays in Chile during recent years that it is cheaper to send just one Sentry rather than have to tank and transport fast jets half way around the world.:cool:

Yeller_Gait
15th Jan 2010, 10:32
Charlie,

Suggest you take on the role of organising the ex-pat P3 crew. Put me down for galley, or at a push ordnance.

With the potential crew you could put together, unbeatable ....

Y_G

Samuel
15th Jan 2010, 11:50
The Sentry would have to park at Christchurch: can't land at Wanaka, but that hasn't been a problem so far, as the F111 crew were flown over for the 'after-match' function by an obliging Cessna owner! They look after you down there at Luggate!

Union Jack
15th Jan 2010, 13:18
A Typhoon or two would be nice.....

Or even a Typhoon pilot or two - thank you Wycombe.:ok:

Incidentally, if Wanaka were to be twinned, presumably it would become Toonaka .....:hmm:

Jack

India69
15th Jan 2010, 21:39
Was there in December ,saw a Mustang in D Day stripes doing aeros; practise for the show ? Very nice, green with envy

Samuel
15th Jan 2010, 22:01
It is a stunning venue for an air show, without doubt. The backdrop of hills and mountains makes for a great spectacle, the best of which was a few years ago when the Hanna's 109 and Spitfire duo came from behind a hill, and the 109 disappeared into the riverbed which fooled a lot of people into a monumental state of awe until he appeared at the other end. Mag-bloody-nificent!