PDA

View Full Version : Can a pilot with 200 hours get any work?

Apollo2010
13th Jan 2010, 21:34
Hi all.
I'm a graduate working in London and i'm looking at (err well i'm dead set on!) coming back to Australia (dual Aussie and British citizen), training and working as pilot. Been working the last 3 years in london after completing a physics degree, saved some and soon redundant so now will have the time and a lot of the money to do an integrated course, and complete both irc and atpl, and do what i've dreamed about since i was a little kid.
My main concern is whether there is any work that a pilot with 200 hours can get, and begin to build on? I've just started skydiving, hopefully that will help in beginning to meet other pilots. will i be able to support myself just by flying? what is the situation like out there? i know i'll probably have to find an outside job, i'm sure there'll be far too many guys like me out there!

Many Thanks,

A

---
if i can't get rich enough to do all the things i want, i may as well be poor enough to get paid to do them!

AerocatS2A
14th Jan 2010, 11:47
I did. I had a job before the ink had dried on my CPL. So yes it can happen, but I wouldn't plan on it.

Goat Whisperer
14th Jan 2010, 11:54
We all had 200 hours at one stage...

mattgitau
14th Jan 2010, 15:17
My advice, for whats its worth, would be to do a JAR Licence (I think you can do it in Aus these days) and then convert that to an Aussie Licence.

Advantages are that it is much easier to convert it that way than from Aussie to JAR. It also gives you a lot more options, in terms of Job opportunities here and in Aus.

Even in the present climate you are more likely to secure a jet job (either airline or business jet) here in the UK sooner rather than later, than you would back in Australia - of course that may not be your goal, but if it is, it will probably take you 5 years to achieve that in Australia.

Everyones circumstances and goals are different, so you will have to work out whether you want to get to the airlines sooner rather than later - if that is what you want.

Im based out of London. The flying here is far more challenging and there is a lot more variety than what I experienced in 5 years in Australia, but then my being here is a personal choice......plus, ATC here can handle more than one aircraft being in their airspace - for some bizarre reason that seemed to cause all sorts of problems in Australia!!!

Anyhow - good luck with it. Oh, and you will probably come in for a lot of flak re your comments about working for free. Do whatever you need to do to build your hours....it's not ideal, but if you don't do it - someone else will (I'll probably come in for flak for saying that now!!!). Just don't go out there offering to work for free.

I would never change my experience of GA in Aus, but then if I had had the opportunity to go into the RHS of a jet with 200hrs, I would have jumped at that, and many of the guys I fly with did exactly that.

Apollo2010
14th Jan 2010, 22:12
Thanks aero, hope for the best, plan for the worst ;) Good to know that I’m being reasonable.

I hear you GW, and it makes sense. But the negative sentiment towards employment prospects that I seem to get of the profession are, let's say, less than ideal. Coming from the other side of the world is a big move and it would be good to know that I’m being realistic.

Thanks matt. I’ve thought about it, as I would like the opportunity to come back some time, maybe as a base but i'm looking to spend a few years out. Ultimately my aim is a jet job, but I’m excited about the random jobs i could end up doing whilst I’m still young and without too much baggage.

With the strong growth in emerging economies, is Asian not going to be a growth market over the next decade?

henli
14th Jan 2010, 22:32
Not easy, but if you're willing to get out to the far corners of the country then yes. I started in Broome with 175 a few years ago. Most others in the town did the same and are now on bigger and better. If your really keen on a career as a pilot you'll be able to find work.

Atlas Shrugged
14th Jan 2010, 22:50
Can a pilot with 200 hours get any work?

Yep

http://www.searchengine.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/kfc-logo-high-quality-300x299.jpg

goldypilot
15th Jan 2010, 00:27
Atlas that is GOLD hahahaha. immmmm lovin it.

Stationair8
15th Jan 2010, 04:00
I used to get in and do joyrides at various places over the summer using a C172 or C182, then some aerial photography and also some fishspotting.

The Green Goblin
15th Jan 2010, 04:18
You will rarely if ever get a job by sending your resume by email or calling up operators.

Everyone after the entry level jobs has the same amount of hours on the same types of aircraft learning the same syllabus with the same instructors.

The only way to get ahead is to get out there, pick a tree, climb it and wait it out :}

It will happen for just about everyone if you are patient and put in the hard yards.

It also does not get any easier. Next you'll be chasing multi engine time, then turboprop time then jet time. They are all just as hard as each other to break into for the first time.

The original poster of the thread, get the JAA licence and convert as has been said. With a degree in physics though you're probably cadet material with legacy carriers. Try the QF cadetship or BA etc.

GG

goldypilot
15th Jan 2010, 06:54
There are still companies that will take you at 200hrs. They are out bush. Thats what i did anyway

greentea84
15th Jan 2010, 08:33
Makes me wonder how I would ever get some work especially while carrying around the missus, "Hey love wanna come live out bush with me while I get paid peanuts? :}"

Super Cecil
15th Jan 2010, 08:40
Mr Apollo saidMy main concern is whether there is any work that a pilot with 200 hours can get, and begin to build on?
No problems getting work in this country, depends how much you have to spend. You will find "Work" ICUS listed on this forum somewhere, that's $150 (You PAY not recieve) an hour I think. If you have $100,000 to spend you could start again with a regional, bonded for a few years at less money than you can make driving a taxi 20 hours a week. But that's Ok so then you can work for less money than driving a taxi 40 hours a week getting right hand seat time up in a jit (After you've paid for your endorsment and training that is). I find there are too many negative people on this forum, it just takes being positive, there are jobs out there.:8

jcorney
15th Jan 2010, 09:15
Makes me wonder how I would ever get some work especially while carrying around the missus, "Hey love wanna come live out bush with me while I get paid peanuts? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif"

That is why my plan is to stay single. Will make the decision to go where the work is once I get my licence much easier.

777WakeTurbz
15th Jan 2010, 09:30
Haha Atlas, very smart call. :D

Apollo, I imagine things will pick up and it shouldnt be too difficult for you to find a gig in the next 12 months. Right now though, I am almost certain its easier for a pilot with 200 hours to find work than it is for one with 2000... :mad: :ugh: :{

Apollo2010
15th Jan 2010, 15:09
Cheers GG, yeah i will apply for the cadetships when possible, pretty much need to wait for H2 and it seems and not much confirmation on who will be running the 2011 schemes (CP, QF, can't see BA doing one!), having a masters might at least get me to the interview. i can't imagine how ridiulously competitive they are to get in tho. will take the advice and get jaa and casa atpl, the more the merrier i suppose.
failing that i need to find a good school in Oz. plan/dream is to find a good course and school, find work for 2-3 years, even out in Africa tbh, have quite a few months diving experience out there, wouldnt mind going back, and then try and get into an SO position with a legacy carrier. (and yes i am well aware that despite all my wishing and planning there is little hope... know all the negativity here but it won't stop me. yet)

this brings me to another important question (might be trivial to you guys, but i would prefer to ask it than to assume the answer): will it reflect poorly on me if i go thorugh an integrated course, then go on to do random jobs in random countries, flying who knows what, rather say trying to get in with a regional early, and probably flying bigger planes sooner? i suppose i would lack experience over someone who did have experience with larger aircraft, and that's what it'll come down to, especially with so many rivals with "outstanding achievements". and it may reflect poorly on my drive and determination to end up in a jet, despite the fact that i'm seeing it more akin to a gap year(s); taking some time to travel and hopefully see the world, before settling. you're thoughts on this are very much appreciated. at the end of the day, obviously i'd take anything, but it's good to have a plan and wishes, however things turn out in the end.

i thoroughly look forward to moving away from being paid to be trained and work, to having to pay to train and work! and incidently, i do enjoy climbing trees. kfc's not a bad idea either, at least i'll be poorly fed as well :)